Army Loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnt0711

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating in May and I've been thinking about getting some stronger loupes, like 3.5 or 4.5s. There is a pretty decent student discount if I get them before I graduate from the school's Orascopic rep, but they're still about $900.
I was wondering if I'll be able to get them for free once I get to my first duty station this summer. Is it a guaranteed thing we can get, or does it depend on the command at the particular clinic?

Members don't see this ad.

I would be interested in this as well. We use Orascoptic also and I love them, I know some vendors let you use the student discount up to 6 months after you graduate so may want to check with them on that if it's easier to pay for them then instead of now.

I was also wondering if we didn't use the full allotted amount for our loupes the first time if we can still use that remaining balance on another pair or if it as gone.

I recently purchased loupes and was reimbursed (D1). I was informed that since the Army was paying for this pair that i would not receive another pair when i begin Active duty. unless of course i purchased my own

Members don't see this ad :)
Loupes are a wear item and replacement should generally be authorized within reason when the prior pair wears out - in the Navy generally we can get a new pair about every 5-7 years as they wear, break, etc. However, the loupes purchased by the government on active duty are considered to be government property for the time that you're in the service, although recently they started authorizing the loupes to be taken by the provider upon leaving active duty as long as they are properly logged out of inventory. Again, that's the Navy policy, the Army may differ.

The army will buy you a pair when you get to you unit. Often they'll bring in a rep during a continuing ed meeting/OPD