love for an émigré

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CATallergy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you grew up somewhere, and your parents still live there, but you are now out-of-state, will your homestate adcom show you any love?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering the same thing. I grew up in Ohio and all of my family is still there. However, I have lived in Colorado for the past few years. I'm planning on applying to a few Ohio schools (among many others). I know I don't qualify for in-state, of course, but the fact that I lived most of my life there and all of my family is there... it would be nice if I got a little extra credit for that...

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on if you kept your residency in your home state. If you just went to school out of state, but didn't change your driver's license or voter's registration to your new state, then you are probably still officially a resident of your original home state. However, to state med schools that wand to create doctors who will stay in their state, you may be asked to explain why you left the state.

Oh, and you can only be a resident of one state... so if you claim to be a resident of Colorado and Ohio... you can lose out on both.

This is a good question.

So if you claim State A for residency, but grew up entire life in State B, would the adcoms give a little preference if you apply to schools in State B?

That is, though, you would be in-state at State A, but out of state at State B.

Even if you are no longer a resident of that state, let them know your situation. I know Ohio is huge on keeping it instate and keeping their docs in Ohio after they graduate. If you plan on staying in that state after graduation, let them know that too. None of this may necessarily help, but it sure won't hurt.

This goes for any type of discrepancy you feel your app has. If you want to let them know something, do it. In a worst case scenario it just shows your interest in the school.