Low BCP GPA - questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Texas resident and am applying out of state and in state and I have a question on BCP GPA. I noticed TMDSAS does not have this and I saw AADSAS has it and its lower than my sGPA

BCP (with +/-): 2.92
sGPA (with +/-): 3.05
Total GPA: 3.31

I knew my sGPA/Total GPA was on the low side so I was aiming to get ~20/21 on DAT to offset my low GPA...but when I saw the BCP GPA it was a shock.

Is BCP only Biology, OCHEM and Physics (exculding classes like Biochem, Genetics etc...).

I have not taken physics yet does that affect the BCP calculations?

And last, Texas schools/application did not mention BCP anywhere do they not even look at this number then?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Texas resident and am applying out of state and in state and I have a question on BCP GPA. I noticed TMDSAS does not have this and I saw AADSAS has it and its lower than my sGPA

BCP (with +/-): 2.92
sGPA (with +/-): 3.05
Total GPA: 3.31

I knew my sGPA/Total GPA was on the low side so I was aiming to get ~20/21 on DAT to offset my low GPA...but when I saw the BCP GPA it was a shock.

Is BCP only Biology, OCHEM and Physics (exculding classes like Biochem, Genetics etc...).

I have not taken physics yet does that affect the BCP calculations?

And last, Texas schools/application did not mention BCP anywhere do they not even look at this number then?
For AADSAS

BCP is ANY class that is biology, physics, or chemistry in nature. Biochem, genetics, histology, anatomy, most other upper level bios are USUALLY considered into BCP.

example:
I took a biochemistry course from the BMB department (biochemistry and molecular biology department), it was part of my BCP

So what is more looked at sGPA or BCP?

and does the TMDSAS only have sGPA since I don't see the BCP GPA posted anywhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just like you!

TX resident.
BCP is 3.02 WITH +/-
BCP is 2.98 WITHOUT +/-

I believe certain schools have different preferences as to which they prefer to look at more.

TMDSAS doesn't have BCP like AADSAS. Thank goodness, right? :)
My friend who is applying for podiatry school... they calculate literally everything... including each GPA for EACH individual course subject.

Anyway, good luck!! :)

BCP...confusing bastard.

I called AADSAS and asked about a course I took from my first school that was CHE 105D Modern Alchemy. They said since it started with CHE, it would not count towards BCP. That's fine, cause I only got a B in it way back in the day. Still makes me wonder though, because all chem courses at that school were labeled CHE.

On another note: All the people on here love to suggest calling AADSAS as the best way to find out things. When I called, it was a young woman who knew next to nothing, put me on hold for 5 mins, then assured me CHE 105 would not be in BCP. I didn't trust her. Calling AADSAS is by far a guarantee of what will happen to your grades IMO.

Is BCP for dentistry the same as BCP for podiatry?

In the same boat as you buddy. I hate having these classes that I took years ago slap me in the face like this.

Do the adcoms look at your GPA with your DAT score before throwing you off the list?

I.e someone who came from a tough University with a low gpa but a superb DAT?

even if you have a low gpa it's still a low gpa.

Unless you you make up for it through the DAT, and possibly did well in post schooling (masters, graduate program, post-bacc) then it's basically looked at differently. It would probably be best if you had tons of EC as well and great letters from profs that know you. I've heard that the DAT is looked at differently, but gotta be well rounded in other things at least to back up the poor gpa

even if you have a low gpa it's still a low gpa.

Unless you you make up for it through the DAT, and possibly did well in post schooling (masters, graduate program, post-bacc) then it's basically looked at differently. It would probably be best if you had tons of EC as well and great letters from profs that know you. I've heard that the DAT is looked at differently, but gotta be well rounded in other things at least to back up the poor gpa

is this true? im in the same position as that other than the post grad work