low down on Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When people ask me what a DO is (and it happens quite often, there are very few DOs in the Washignton DC area), I tell them this. "Its very similar to a blend of MDs and chiropracters, but also with a different philosophy." No one ever asks for a further explanation than that.

So, it nods to JP that manipulation (hence, chiropracters), but also my end, a philosophical difference.

Hi Drquinn,

I am glad you are still participating @ SDN
I am reading you since you were in medical school, you have been an inspiration then and much more now with your integrity to osteopathic medicine - thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess you guys got off the subject all I asked is for the low down on nova.
Like any info to convince me this school is better than umdnj thanks

anything i can do to help.

I came on SDN as a wee M1 back in 1999 (changed user names since) to talk about NSUCOM, and have found it a great community. I just hope that those that found this website useful will continue to use it as you crawl up the ranks of medical-dom, and "give back" to those asking the questions you did at the time.

To the OP: The lowdown on NSUCOM is, its a great school with lots of opporutnities. much like any other COM. to me, as an attenidng now, the two criteria i would use for picking a medical school are:

the rest is unnecessary.

Q
Hi Drquinn,

I am glad you are still participating @ SDN
I am reading you since you were in medical school, you have been an inspiration then and much more now with your integrity to osteopathic medicine - thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wasnt your name QuinnNSU or something like that? My memory... :(

jp, that sounds about right.

i remember seeing his profile and matrix avatar? or was it blip about neo?

i saw his pic on the 3rd floor building and he actually looks like neo in the matrix.

coincidence? i think not.

actually I think my original SN was Quinn. Changed to QuinnNSU, then as I became chief resident, figgered I needed to change it a bit . I go by Dr Quinn to my patients anyways (even though that's not my last name).

Q

dr quinn medicine man?

No, Dr. Quinn sealab 2021

quinn.jpg

I guess you guys got off the subject all I asked is for the low down on nova.
Like any info to convince me this school is better than umdnj thanks

It's really up to you which you like better, depending on your priorities. I am going to start at NSU this fall. I am thrilled, and have heard nothing but rave reviews about it, in general. I am not scared of a dress code or attendance policies, but I guess I have worked in the "real world" for a long time. Med school is a helluva lot more important to me than retail, and if I could wear an apron and a name tag at a grocery store and show up every day, I can wear scrubs and a white coat for med school.

I know nothing about UMDNJ. I am sure, if they are both decent schools, you can make something great out of your med school experience.

Another thread was posted on nycom now I am asking about Nova
Kuba may be able to give you some more insight into NSU vs. UMDNJ. He had to make that decision. Sorry for the plug Kuba but it was right up your alley.

no it is not up kuba alley he did not get accepted to umdnj i believe he is on the waitlist

no it is not up kuba alley he did not get accepted to umdnj i believe he is on the waitlist
That is true, but he would have gotten off the waitlist. I believe he could provide some invaluable insight UMDNJU ad NSU were two schools that he was debating about before he ultimately chose.

why are you so sure he would have gotten off the waitlist

Members don't see this ad :)
why are you so sure he would have gotten off the waitlist
That is beyond my point. But since you're asking, UMDNJ uses a strict point system where each component of your application is assigned a number. These are added together to give you a composite score. Reach a certain threshold and you're admitted, fall below it, and you're waitlisted or rejected. Kuba was VERY close to that magic number. Plus, I know him personally. :)

What are your thoughts on NSU vs. UMDNJ? You've heard opinions from various people, what's your opinion on the two schools?

So after the whole discussion about the DO/MD stuff...Maybe I'll just go for fifth pathway. Poor little fifth pathway..always left out of the mix. I'd consider it, and then not even go for the MD just to confuse people. You know....if I didn't have to come from the foreign medical school.

That is beyond my point. But since you're asking, UMDNJ uses a strict point system where each component of your application is assigned a number. These are added together to give you a composite score. Reach a certain threshold and you're admitted, fall below it, and you're waitlisted or rejected. Kuba was VERY close to that magic number. Plus, I know him personally. :)

What are your thoughts on NSU vs. UMDNJ? You've heard opinions from various people, what's your opinion on the two schools?

Well what I have heard is that only 1 came off the waitlist and it was not Kuba

Dr. Quinn,

Your "blend of MD and Chiropractor" does make sense. However (as a pre-med, am I allowed to post in this thread? jk) I feel weary about even mentioning chiropractic in fear that people will associate Osteopathy with Chiropractic more, or give those ridiculous "glorified chiropractor" comments some false credibility by even comparing the two.

While your patients do not inquire further, do you think they understand what DOs are really about?

thanks for taking time out to discuss these topics (you too JP)- its nice to have some docs that stick around on these forums so we are not limited to clueless pre-meds like myself

Joe

woah, lol. How did I get thrown under the bus here? Thanks a lot HOD:p!

Anyways, I do indeed have a lot of insight into the UMDNJ vs NSU debate, but I will allow anyone interested to PM me instead of offering my unsolicited advice here.

OK, now my response to that would be

"Is this a reflection of the particular school you went to, the professors you had and the clinical mentors you had.?"

OR

"Is this because you went to a DO school?"

I would think that it would be the former. Thats just how I see it.

And for the rest of the forum...this is more of a medical student (at least) and D.O. discussion. Not a premed discussion.

In fact, no where on SDN is there a less appropriate conversation for premeds to be entering. Riker...sit this one out. I am sure there are people boozing it up somewhere that need your guidance and snide comments. I think its totally innapropriate for a premed to contradict Quinn, an actual D.O. Who also happens to be one of the people I looked up to a great deal when I was a premed hanging out here looking for guidance.

End of mini anti-premed rant.

In other words, let the people who have true input talk about this, not the people whose experience of DOs is limited to their family doc, 2 hours of shadowing and a read-through of Gevitz.

JP, seriously get off your high horse. It is starting to get old. I used to respect all the things you said on here, but now you are starting to alienate yourself with all your banter. I know plenty of DO's that do not use OMM and are great doctors.

I think its great you want to incorporate OMM into your surgical practice. Really, you are exactly what an Osteopathic medical school wants to produce. However, you need to stop telling people what they should think or do. DrQuinn, is a full fledged practicing D.O. I believe he has the authority on this subject and should be treated with respect.

You continue to complain about DO's not using OMM. Well, let me give you some insight into how we, second years at PCOM, think OMM is taught. We think it SUCKS. They give you written exams that are extremely hard only to give you failing grades. The lectures are boring. I came to PCOM interested in learning OMM. Well, now I can't wait to get the hell out of my first two years and to never look back at OMM. Why? Not b/c it the written exams are difficult, but because of the way it is taught. They beat the desire to learn OMM out of you. I would much rather study for a Renal-Pulm exam than an OMM exam. At least they test you on what you are taught.....Seriously, you claim to have all the answers and are way to quick to jump to conclusions.

When I was a premed, I used to be really impressed with your posts. You sounded extremely competent and I was so excited to come to PCOM. Now, your continual nasty remarks and know it all responses are just tiring.

Thanks for the 100% on the OMM practical though...:)

Good luck in your first year

Well what I have heard is that only 1 came off the waitlist and it was not Kuba

I repeat, what does this have to do with your evaluation between UMDNJ and NSU? Kuba's matriculation shouldn't have any bearance on that.

woah, lol. How did I get thrown under the bus here? Thanks a lot HOD:p!

Anyways, I do indeed have a lot of insight into the UMDNJ vs NSU debate, but I will allow anyone interested to PM me instead of offering my unsolicited advice here.

Sorry! I tried to be helpful, but to no avail, apparently. Good call with the PM.

Seems the responses really got away from the asker's main question regarding the "low down" at NSU. Not sure exactly what you were seeking, but I have plenty of information to keep you interested for hours. If you are interested, let me know. Some big significant mistakes could be avoided with some sound research and clarification. If I can help shed some the light, I cartianly will. Going through it, I know what questions I would want to know.

Radman

Seems the responses really got away from the asker's main question regarding the "low down" at NSU. Not sure exactly what you were seeking, but I have plenty of information to keep you interested for hours. If you are interested, let me know. Some big significant mistakes could be avoided with some sound research and clarification. If I can help shed some the light, I cartianly will. Going through it, I know what questions I would want to know.

Radman

I'd love to hear the details underlying this cryptic statement myself!

Radman

Please do tell....

JP..thanks for keeping it real.

As a current NSU scutmonkey I can say we're all proud of Quinn...Not just because he represents us well in the medical profession, but mostly because the's a legend on SDN and a hell of a nice guy :D I tend to listen to those who have been around like jp (soon to be surg resident) and Quinn (attending EM doc)

JP..thanks for keeping it real.

As a current NSU scutmonkey I can say we're all proud of Quinn...Not just because he represents us well in the medical profession, but mostly because the's a legend on SDN and a hell of a nice guy :D I tend to listen to those who have been around like jp (soon to be surg resident) and Quinn (attending EM doc)

Just curious (and my intention isn't to flame here), but has your opinion changed since the post below?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=3672389#post3672389

About Nova or Quinn & JP? I thought they were two entirely different subjects? Or are you asking about Nova?

Nova. I was asking whether you still share the same sentiments about Nova that you indicated in the post I linked.

I will be starting 2nd year at NSU in one week! Just thought I would share my opinion about my school for those who want to know.
NSU is a great school! I am very impressed with the education so far and look forward to my second year. I hear great things about NSU from the 3rd, 4th years and I have spoken to many graduates of NSU who are very happy and felt very prepared.
Besides the academics, the clinical experience is fantastic. As a first year student shadowing a DO in his office alongside many 3rd and 4th years from DO schools all over the US, I found that I knew as much as the 3rd and 4th years! I was also pimped by my doctor with the same questions he asked the 3rd and 4th years! So, as far as a quality education I can say, without a doubt that NSU has provided me with the education I was looking for. I feel well prepared for my future. Anyone with any questions about NSU can PM me and I will be happy to answer :)

at least there's some gratitude, right? LOL :laugh:

As always, I will put myself out there to answer any specific questions about NSU. It is difficult to give a "Low down" on the school...but I'll answer any Qs ppl have (PM is best)

I will add one thing though:
I have had some very unique circumstances and I can say in my two years there that they treat everyone as equals once you are there. The rules are the same regardless of who you are or what your excuse is, administration is VERY fair. I find this to be (although frustrating from time to time) very reassuring (I.e. You fail a class(es), rules are the same for everyone on makeup, remediation, etc).

I would rather not start any wars here, but there are many of us who have already experienced all 4 years at Nova who feel otherwise. I know that I met very few people who had anything good to say about Nova when I graduated. Many people skipped graduation due to their anger with our school. I can tell you that I was top of my class, and not everyone is treated equally. I had the same feelings that everyone else here had my first 2 years there, and I feel fortunate that I was probably treated better than most of my colleagues. Dr. Quinn speaks highly about Nova, but he graduated a very long time ago. There have been many policy and admin changes since then. The only people I saw speaking highly of Nova during my graduation were those who cheated repeatedly and had gotten away with it, SGA members who learned to kiss up to admin, or those who had to remediate so many classes they felt fortunate to even be graduating. I regret ever recommending this medical school to my relatives and other friends I mentored in undergrad. Ask any recent grads (as in the last 1-3 years) and you will find hearty agreement amongst us. The atmosphere was so toxic among admin that one committed suicide (which I was told by his close colleagues was due to the toxic admin atmosphere) and 7 other student proponents left in my four years there. It disgusted me to see the caring admin leave, while those who openly bragged about dodging military medical duty or others who had lost medicare lawsuits (and could no longer practice), etc get promoted to higher positions. I would rather not say any more on this topic as Nova admin regularly does check this forum. You can PM me if you like.

My disgust with Nova grows and grows. Even living in another state, I am still finding out terrible things. Most of the great professors have abandoned the school for other schools or private practice. While I was at Nova, there were 2 medical school attendings/professors actively sleeping with/dating medical students, and probably more that I had not heard about. It is like watching Grey's Anatomy. The school never has disciplined either of these professors.

My disgust with Nova grows and grows. Even living in another state, I am still finding out terrible things. Most of the great professors have abandoned the school for other schools or private practice. While I was at Nova, there were 2 medical school attendings/professors actively sleeping with/dating medical students, and probably more that I had not heard about. It is like watching Grey's Anatomy. The school never has disciplined either of these professors.

I haven't been on sdn in a while just happen to check it out and read this. Very interesting I wonder how many others feel that way. I decided to go to umdnj and I am very happy there and glad I picked the right school.

hmmm, id love to hear more details since this goes against what I have personally heard from a couple of recent grads. i do realize that the admin is not fantastic though, but I think other positive characteristics of the school outweigh that issue. Plus, what school is going to have an admin that meets 100% of student needs? I don't think one exists.

I'm also an M1 at NSU, and would have to concur with Kuba. The admin isn't fantastic, but I can say that about admin at pretty much any institution - and I've attended two well known universities in Canada.

As far as the education that I'm receiving, I am pretty satisfied so far, though I really can't comment on rotations at this time, for obvious reasons.

hmmm, id love to hear more details since this goes against what I have personally heard from a couple of recent grads. i do realize that the admin is not fantastic though, but I think other positive characteristics of the school outweigh that issue. Plus, what school is going to have an admin that meets 100% of student needs? I don't think one exists.
I concur.

Why can't the admin be fantastic? It just...boggles my mind...(sigh) The students would be happier, and many would probably perform better. So, everybody wins!! Ahhh, glad that's settled!!!

BTW, who cares who's sleeping with who? Everybody is human, and love (or dirty filthy lust, lol) happens!

Hello wonderful medical students! I have acceptances at Nova, AZCOM and Touro-CA. I was looking into dual MPH/DO tracks (leaving me deciding between Touro and NSU). Is anyone familiar with (even better, enrolled in) the combined degree program at Nova? How is the MPH curriculum broken up, is there a global health track or courses driven towards that, is it excruciatingly painful to take the extra classes on top of the normal DO course load, are the MPH professors sympathetic to the dual enrolled students?... the list continues. Anyone qualified and available to help out a lowly (soon to be upgraded) pre-med? Thanks!

Walter

Hello wonderful medical students! I have acceptances at Nova, AZCOM and Touro-CA. I was looking into dual MPH/DO tracks (leaving me deciding between Touro and NSU). Is anyone familiar with (even better, enrolled in) the combined degree program at Nova? How is the MPH curriculum broken up, is there a global health track or courses driven towards that, is it excruciatingly painful to take the extra classes on top of the normal DO course load, are the MPH professors sympathetic to the dual enrolled students?... the list continues. Anyone qualified and available to help out a lowly (soon to be upgraded) pre-med? Thanks!

Walter

I'm not very familiar with the program since I'm not enrolled in it, but I can offer some prelim information. You would apply for the program after your first semester at Nova. The classes are at night or online. The normal DO courseload is pretty intense and I haven't gone through the second semester coursework yet, so I couldn't say if I could juggle MPH classes with the regular coursework. Many people have done it though. Hope that helps some.

If you are at all interested in OMM, then you will be very pleased with one of Nova's newest additions, Dr. Boesler. He taught at my school (DMU) before transferring, and he will can make just about anyone enthusiastic about OMM. Definitely an asset. (P.S. I stopped reading all the posts after the 2nd or 3rd one because of all the flaming. I apologize if my advice is redundant.)

I must say I have enjoyed all the OMM (and clinical practicum) lectures and lab instruction by Dr. Boesler so far.

Dr Boesler is the best :)

How many electives can you do the third and the fourth year? Someone said that this might be changing for the upcoming class?

I had my nova interview a couple days ago and thought the institution looked freaken amazing. I just hope it's just not a superficial image.

I have been impressed with the school so far in my M1 year. Good luck getting in, NFiasco! Were you in one of the groups who toured through our anatomy class? Who did your tour?

As I recently received my acceptance from NSU, I am also interested in finding out how many elective rotations are available. The website isn't particularly helpful, and my interviewers said it was either 4 or 5 months. If any current students who are in the know could help us out that would be great. thanks

As I recently received my acceptance from NSU, I am also interested in finding out how many elective rotations are available. The website isn't particularly helpful, and my interviewers said it was either 4 or 5 months. If any current students who are in the know could help us out that would be great. thanks
Depending how you spend your time will determine whether it is four or five months Some individuals opt to a month off for boards in February/March, some take an "extra" month of vacation before your start your intern year, while others just pack their schedule to the end. Hope that helps.

Thanks HOD, I am leaning towards attending NSU but I'm concerned that the 3 months of required rural rotations may decrease my chances of audition rotations at residency programs. Its good to know that there are enough elective months to utilize.

Thanks HOD, I am leaning towards attending NSU but I'm concerned that the 3 months of required rural rotations may decrease my chances of audition rotations at residency programs. Its good to know that there are enough elective months to utilize.
Yeah, that is a concern for many. It may be "best" to do your rurals during the end of your time at NSU if you aren't as interested in working with the underserved/rural population. That will allow for elective audition rotations during the "optimal" time. Either way, you should have enough time either way...you'll have time for at least two free electives before the end of the year.

I have yet to hear a person who has recently graduated from Nova pipe in yet to defend our school. I think that most of us are still angry with almost missing consolidation or loan forebearance deadlines, because Nova "accidentally" put us in as graduating in 2009 for some reason. I was just like everyone else above my first and second years. I thought Nova was awesome. Things changed when I reached my third and fourth years....

As to the question above, you have NO control over when they schedule you for your rurals. I know many people who were screwed with mandatory ER and 3 months of rurals all during the "audition" and "interview" months during fourth year. I was told that the lottery works 1 through N (number of med students in class) to put you in your core site. Then, they go N through 1 to put people in rurals. Good luck trying to get someone to switch with you. I know of students who were shipped off to Louisiana or very distant areas of Florida during their interview months. They were 4 hours away from the closest airport, so they could not make it to interviews. When you do those months of rurals, you only get 2 days off for 2 of the months. Yes, this does affect your future. No, the school does not help you in any way to match at your desired residency of choice. The admin staff are well known for "accidentally" adding zeroes to the end of class ranking numbers, "forgetting" to scan in LOR's, forgetting to finish typing your Dean's letter (yes, this was done to several of us last year) so that deadlines are missed for applications, etc. Yes, you do get to schedule some electives. However, only 2 of them can be in the same field, and most of them have to meet criteria of being considered Internal Med, Family, of Ob/Gyn. Or, you can just forgo your vacation month like many of us did. I could go on, but I think that the fact that no one who has recently graduated is piping in (in all the months this thread has been open) says it all. I have seen many of my former classmates posting on other threads on studentdoctor, so I am pretty sure they have read this. Yes, I did hear a lot of happiness the day I graduated. We were just happy to be done with Nova. I think my class had the largest no-shows for graduation in percentage in the past years. So many people were so angry with the school, they decided to not go to graduation despite the dean's threats of withholding diplomas.