low down on Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have yet to hear a person who has recently graduated from Nova pipe in yet to defend our school. I think that most of us are still angry with almost missing consolidation or loan forebearance deadlines, because Nova "accidentally" put us in as graduating in 2009 for some reason. I was just like everyone else above my first and second years. I thought Nova was awesome. Things changed when I reached my third and fourth years....

As to the question above, you have NO control over when they schedule you for your rurals. I know many people who were screwed with mandatory ER and 3 months of rurals all during the "audition" and "interview" months during fourth year. I was told that the lottery works 1 through N (number of med students in class) to put you in your core site. Then, they go N through 1 to put people in rurals. Good luck trying to get someone to switch with you. I know of students who were shipped off to Louisiana or very distant areas of Florida during their interview months. They were 4 hours away from the closest airport, so they could not make it to interviews. When you do those months of rurals, you only get 2 days off for 2 of the months. Yes, this does affect your future. No, the school does not help you in any way to match at your desired residency of choice. The admin staff are well known for "accidentally" adding zeroes to the end of class ranking numbers, "forgetting" to scan in LOR's, forgetting to finish typing your Dean's letter (yes, this was done to several of us last year) so that deadlines are missed for applications, etc. Yes, you do get to schedule some electives. However, only 2 of them can be in the same field, and most of them have to meet criteria of being considered Internal Med, Family, of Ob/Gyn. Or, you can just forgo your vacation month like many of us did. I could go on, but I think that the fact that no one who has recently graduated is piping in (in all the months this thread has been open) says it all. I have seen many of my former classmates posting on other threads on studentdoctor, so I am pretty sure they have read this. Yes, I did hear a lot of happiness the day I graduated. We were just happy to be done with Nova. I think my class had the largest no-shows for graduation in percentage in the past years. So many people were so angry with the school, they decided to not go to graduation despite the dean's threats of withholding diplomas.

This is making me wee in my manties...:scared: I really am concerned about this in particular:
Yes, you do get to schedule some electives. However, only 2 of them can be in the same field, and most of them have to meet criteria of being considered Internal Med, Family, of Ob/Gyn. Or, you can just forgo your vacation month like many of us did.

Aren't they called electives for a reason?!?! How are the logistics of "who goes rural and when" handled? Isn't it half the class goes to the backwoods, and the other half gets to go techno, based on a lottery? Then everybody does a do-see-do.

I am not spending a ridiculous amount of money to be "told" what to do with my life. I find it hard to believe that a school would do that. Any school should just want to produce quality physicians working happily in their chosen field. Heck, it just might be rural primary care; but it might not.

I think the school is sound academically. I'll wait and see for the rest.

Members don't see this ad.

Fear not. Those proclaimations were there when I was at NSU in 1999-2003. "WE don't have enough elective time" or "I don't get to do any audition rotations" or "I can't do my elective in X." These were generally unfounded. One of my good friends in M4 year told me that his rural schedules screwed up his "audition time." I looked at his schedule, and he had three electives in the late summer/fall, but one month of rurals in September. He used to tell me that he got "totally screwed." Well, actually, there is more than just one month to do audition rotations.

I myself had my rurals in August and September, which were no big deal to me. And I was applying to a very competitive Emergency Medicine specialty at the time.

And as for people not showing up for graduation, I think the vast vast majority of my class were there at graduation, it was an exicting and fun time for us all. I can't recall anyone who didn't show up.

And none of us ever had problems setting up our own electives, even if they weren't "primary care." They did say this, but I know people who did 4 orthopedic rotations. I even know someone who did 3 pediatric surgery rotations, and that is definately not primary care.

Q
This is making me wee in my manties...:scared: I really am concerned about this in particular:

Aren't they called electives for a reason?!?! How are the logistics of "who goes rural and when" handled? Isn't it half the class goes to the backwoods, and the other half gets to go techno, based on a lottery? Then everybody does a do-see-do.

I am not spending a ridiculous amount of money to be "told" what to do with my life. I find it hard to believe that a school would do that. Any school should just want to produce quality physicians working happily in their chosen field. Heck, it just might be rural primary care; but it might not.

I think the school is sound academically. I'll wait and see for the rest.

I know of several people who lied in order to be able to do more than 2 rotations in their field of choice. It is the school policy now and it is not changing. They are very firm with their mission to get primary care physicians. Many people (yes, now current physicians) lied on their application to admin and on their evals about what rotation they were really doing. These people who did many months of ortho had to call 2 of the other months something else like general surgery or trauma surgery. One girl in years prior matched plastic surgery by doing 5 months of plastic surgery all over the country. She called each month trauma, burn reconstruction surgery, facial reconstruction surgery, etc. It can be done, if you are willing to lie or partially lie to the school and face the consequences if they find out. I know of several students with rurals scheduled Sept, Oct, had ER in November, and were unable to schedule their elective rural for any month (due to family issues) other than December. It is not just about doing away rotations. It is about having interview time also. Many people wanted competitive residencies, most of these programs that are willing to take DO's are in a different geographical area. Many rural sites are NOT flexible about you missing time for interviews. These are underserved areas. In other words, they count on med student scutwork. If you think Nova admin is fair, you will soon come to agree with recent grads. How about the recent lottery scandal where students were told that there were plenty of spots for the most popular core site, and then the results were overturned when admin realized they had "accidentally" reported too many spots for the most popular site. The lottery had to be done over again. You think that is fair? Unfortunately, admin does not seem to realize how their "accidents" affect your life. As I was saying, where are the RECENT grads piping in.

Please see page 15 of the Nova manual. You are only allowed to do 2 months in the same field. They are fine with pulmonology and cardiology, because those are subspecialites. The electives have to be in "recognized disciplines of medicine." In other words, mostly primary care.
http://medicine.nova.edu/academics/clinical/forms/clinmanual.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
someone here seems really pissed.

i dont think its as bad as he says it is. im currently a 4th year and there's time to do electives that are not primary care.

there are truths to what he said, but he's drastically overplaying it.

grain of salt folks...

And what I am trying to tell you, dear sir, is that students have been doomsayers for NSUCOM before it was even NSUCOM! When I went there, there were still med students with the "SECOM" badge on it. They used to tell us "horror" stories of how horrible the administration was regarding attendance, how they used to have video cameras installed and were going to have assigned seatings, and that the core rotation sites were too few.

Then when I got there, the concern was about the curves in some of the tests. "The physiology tests are too hard and the curve needs to go up!" This, along with other grumblings about rotations, electives, and of the similar ilk....

What brought me to SDN YEARS ago in 1999, was of people saying "don't go to NOVA, the administratino is horrible." I am still here on SDN, telling people that, hey, I go there (and graduated successfully), and its not as bad as people say. I am one of the most objective thick skinned people you'll meet (have to be as an EM attending). NSUCOM is an excellent school with excellent resources to let you be the DO you want to be.

The funny thing is, you never see the "doomsayers" of NSUCOM back here on SDN once they get into residency and after finishing residency. Because when you look back upon those things you thought were so important, you really do feel like a sheep because you made such a big deal out of it.

Q
I know of several people who lied in order to be able to do more than 2 rotations in their field of choice. It is the school policy now and it is not changing. They are very firm with their mission to get primary care physicians. Many people (yes, now current physicians) lied on their application to admin and on their evals about what rotation they were really doing. These people who did many months of ortho had to call 2 of the other months something else like general surgery or trauma surgery. One girl in years prior matched plastic surgery by doing 5 months of plastic surgery all over the country. She called each month trauma, burn reconstruction surgery, facial reconstruction surgery, etc. It can be done, if you are willing to lie or partially lie to the school and face the consequences if they find out. I know of several students with rurals scheduled Sept, Oct, had ER in November, and were unable to schedule their elective rural for any month (due to family issues) other than December. It is not just about doing away rotations. It is about having interview time also. Many people wanted competitive residencies, most of these programs that are willing to take DO's are in a different geographical area. Many rural sites are NOT flexible about you missing time for interviews. These are underserved areas. In other words, they count on med student scutwork. If you think Nova admin is fair, you will soon come to agree with recent grads. How about the recent lottery scandal where students were told that there were plenty of spots for the most popular core site, and then the results were overturned when admin realized they had "accidentally" reported too many spots for the most popular site. The lottery had to be done over again. You think that is fair? Unfortunately, admin does not seem to realize how their "accidents" affect your life. As I was saying, where are the RECENT grads piping in.

Please see page 15 of the Nova manual. You are only allowed to do 2 months in the same field. They are fine with pulmonology and cardiology, because those are subspecialites. The electives have to be in "recognized disciplines of medicine." In other words, mostly primary care.
http://medicine.nova.edu/academics/clinical/forms/clinmanual.pdf

hey guys:
i am kind of diverging from the topic, but as a 2nd yr student, i was wondering what is the schedule like in your 3rd/4th yrs? ex: hours worked each week for each rotation, on call, etc. The top sites i would like to match into are either Memorial, broward, or palmetto. Thanks :)

We were just happy to be done with Nova. I think my class had the largest no-shows for graduation in percentage in the past years. So many people were so angry with the school, they decided to not go to graduation despite the dean's threats of withholding diplomas.

We were told graduation is mandatory? I would rather go to the beach.

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that I will be coming back down to Nova for their residency fair Nov.9th to represent POH Medical Center. I'd be happy to answer any questions that current students may have about years 3-4 and applying to residency.

I also agree that from what I've seen so far, OPP are great physician qualities, but I wouldn't say they are unique to DOs (or at least I hope not)! I have not found OMM/OPP encorporated into any class outside of the 3 hours per week of OMM. How am I to draw an OPP connection to phys, cell, or micro when my unique DO education never mentions it? Granted I am a bright person and could find valid connections, but how can my DO education be called unique when its never mentioned or in the curriculum? OMM also carries a very strange aura with its methods of instruction. Many of the brightest students in my class have mentioned this and we find discern with the "just trust us, it works" philosophy. Their stories of miracles are inspiring and paint a picture of OMMs possibilities, but like JP mentions: that is OMM, not some unique philisophy or tenet. So how are we different outside of manipulations and the extra hands on training (which I do enjoy)? I do believe medicine still contains an art form even to this day, but I want some proof as a student drudging through core sciences for this and the next year to the reason for an Osteopathic identity.

Thanks guys!

A bit of kind clarification-

I'm an OMS-III from NSUCOM and wanted to be a bit more clear - from a different perspective if you will. Incorporated within each of our second year systems courses are individual OMT lectures geared specifically to each system, with specific techniques, special tests, and the whole two bits in addition to a separate OMT course which includes labs.

While this young man hasn't quite found OMT in his biochemistry, pharmacology, and parasitology classes - one wouldn't be expected to. Be patient, and you'll see its incorporation. I have learned that, and it is indeed a sad truth, most of the DO students I have met feel little need, obligation, or duty to take OMT very seriously. It is all upon the individual to learn the skills needed to take OMT further; it requires practice, training of your senses of observation [physically and mentally]. I consider myself to be a competent osteopath to be in reguards to medicine with OMT included within that spectrum, and I am proud that I took what NSUCOM offered me.

Good luck to all, and if I were to sum up my feelings on NSUCOM here they go:
-Great facilities, an absolutely beautiful environment to learn in.
-Faculty - As mentioned elsewhere some amazing, others not so amazing. But in my opinion this is true just about everywhere. It comes down to personality, learning style, and in the end, how dedicated you are to learning. At this level [med school] - its a matter of how much you put in. The more you put in, the better your board scores will be, and without a doubt it shows. (My comlex score was a two digit 80; my class average was 80 - should speak for itself)
-Lifestyle - clubs, organizations and everything keep you going. Plus a brand new gym complex! Additionally, Lambda Omicron Gamma will keep you busy on non test weekends!
-Cost - the school is expensive, and you are in south florida. Its not cheap, but its a great place to be, that is for sure! 15 min from Ft Lauderdale beach, 30 min from South Beach Miami.
-

I consider myself to be a competent osteopath...
Better watch out - lots of people in this forum get bent out of shape when you use that term.

-Cost - the school is expensive, and you are in south florida...
I heard that Nova has "clubs" that sell you old tests and outlines to help prepare for exams. The catch: joining all of these "clubs" can run upwards of $2000. True or False?

I heard that Nova has "clubs" that sell you old tests and outlines to help prepare for exams. The catch: joining all of these "clubs" can run upwards of $2000. True or False?

I'm not there and I may be wrong, but from what I've been reading the clubs cost anywhere from 50 - maybe $100? for a four year membership? And with that some clubs hold anatomy reviews (surgery club?) and some give out review packets before the tests. So if you join all the clubs, I imagine you'll be spending a decent bit of money.

or you can goto this one website that has it all also run by nova students

There are many clubs which are just for professional interest and many which offer benefits such as test packets, review sessions, and more. I joined every club that gave a test packet or review packet, and all three that offer anatomy reviews and I spent total under $500, and I also joined two which were just for my own interest (SOIMA and EMS, which are internal med and emergency med). And thus far it has been very worth it, the anatomy practical reviews are priceless, in my opinion and LOG the social club has great parties as well. So while it seems like a lot of money, well it kind of is, but its for you education and peace of mind while surviving the marathon that is medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
the clubs are mostly rip-offs especially SOMA who promises so much yet delivers so little. i'm selling my package i paid thru my ass from SOMA this year to next yr's m1's- they'll save some serious money and i can get some of mine back.

false -- not $2000. i think total $500 over the first and second years for test packets etc. btw, nms books for the shelf exams are free the third and fourth year (well, included in tuition). cost of living is expensive in florida, very expensive. but the beach is 15 minutes away.

hey guys:
i am kind of diverging from the topic, but as a 2nd yr student, i was wondering what is the schedule like in your 3rd/4th yrs? ex: hours worked each week for each rotation, on call, etc. The top sites i would like to match into are either Memorial, broward, or palmetto. Thanks :)

memorial is super cush, palmetto is cush and broward is not cush but not super hard either. inpatient IM, inpatient peds will be hard rotations in general where ever you go, and family med and psych will be light. hope that helps, amy

Quick question for you guys....

During your 3rd/4th year, do you spend the entire year at one clinical site doing rotations or do you go to different sites for each rotation?

Quick question for you guys....

During your 3rd/4th year, do you spend the entire year at one clinical site doing rotations or do you go to different sites for each rotation?

I *think* 3rd year is all at one site, and then 4th year is a different site,
but it can also vary-depending.
I'm sure an M3 or M4 will chime in on this and either confirm or correct me.

You go through a lottery system where you rank what core site you want to go to and Nova randomly through computer gives everyone a number. Based on the number, the sites fill based on the what the earliest numbers ranked highest, and how many spots there are left. Then, people get assigned spots. The popularity of each core site changes year to year. You spend most of your in hospital months at your core site, but that is not always the case. Mt Sinai goes to Miami Children's (a very popular site) for their in-hospital peds months. Also, many of your months are outpatient site months where you will not be at the hospital: outpt peds, geriatrics, psych, family medicine, and some surgery months may be spent at different hospitals. Then, they go backwards to assign people to your 2 months of rurals. There are not very many rural places close to Fort Lauderdale, so the best months and best locations tend to go to the highest numbers (since they tend to have gotten their last choices in the core site). Your fourth year, you have to do an elective rural, and the close sites tend to go fast with the most popular months. Also, some people may get sent to other hospitals for their ER month. Depending on what core site you go to 25-50% of your rotations will be at that core site btwn your 3rd and 4th year.

I was recently accepted to nova and trying to pick between a few schools. I was wondering about 3rd/4th yr clinicals. Is there any opportunities to go outside florida and its surroudning states? For example, if I wanted to go to New Jersey for a rotation, would it be possible and if so, how possible? Thanks

and these mixed opinions on Nova are screwing me up! haha

I was recently accepted to nova and trying to pick between a few schools. I was wondering about 3rd/4th yr clinicals. Is there any opportunities to go outside florida and its surroudning states? For example, if I wanted to go to New Jersey for a rotation, would it be possible and if so, how possible? Thanks

Absolutely. You can go anywhere for your fourth year electives, like most other medschools. I don't know the exact procedure, but it likely involves you contacting the hospitals you are interested in rotating at and setting things up. You get that approved from NSU, and away you go.

Hey, I have researching nova a little since I was accepted and I think the DO/MPH degree is something that is worth looking at for me. Anyone in this program or know anyone in it? What is the schedule like for the 1st and 2nd yrs? I've heard it consists of night classes. Is it really intense? Is there time to study if you are in the program? Also the 3rd and 4th yr classes are online, correct?

I know that people apply for the program after the 1st semester, but if I chose Nova over the other schools, the dual program will definitely be a factor in influencing my decision. Thanks in advance!

How funny! I came on here to look for threads on this type of dual degree. I go to Nova. The schedule seems very doable - one extra class a semester, starting in your second semester. There are physicians teaching most of if not all of the classes. I am thinking of trying to combine this with a research fellowship. The director of the program, Dr. Blavo, is wonderful. Everyone I know who is in the program is thrilled with it.

I am only worried because I have kids, so I already have extra demands on my "free" time.

Doing the DO/MPH degree program is doable, and I was actually considering it once upon a time. However, it does not really add anything to your application when you apply for residency, unless you plan on doing public health in the future. I know many students in my class who failed many classes and almost got held back trying to keep up with all the work and the MPH classes. They did very well their first semester there, but got behind as the second year rolled around. The second year of medical school is very tough, just realize your limits and do not overextend yourself. You need to finish more than one class a semester. Some of the classes are very hard, while others are just "busy work." You should ask yourself why you want the MPH and if it is worth it to you. I know a lot of people who completed the program. One or two of them had children. It is tough already having kids in medical school, let alone medical school plus an MPH. Some did it because they got held back a year, and decided to add something to their app during that year of only taking the class(es) they had failed the prior year. Others even asked me why they bothered doing it, since it was not what they thought it would be. Still, some are doing rural medicine or have hopes to go into this kind of field in the future so it is was worth it for them.

You can do aways your fourth year, but realize that the school really does not help you out at all in setting these up. The clinical medicine department has no phone numbers, looses your paperwork, and is often pretty rude about setting up away rotations to be honest. I did a ton of aways. The osteopathic places offer more amenities like free food and housing than the allo places on aways. Some allo places will not even let you rotate there because you are a DO, it is just a reality. The trick here is to start setting them up early during your third year so that you do not miss deadlines. Rule 1: Do not count on the school for anything, while setting up away rotations. Once you do, you get burned. Always double check your paperwork, and make copies of everything. Talk to admin constantly about making sure they agree that your electives meet your senior requirements. They tend to loose your paperwork, especially the most important stuff. Plus, many aways require more immunizations, paperwork, extra verifications, and it is good to know that before you miss their deadline. You cannot change your fourth year rurals (two months), ER, and the fact you have to do 1 month rural elective. That is unless you can find someone to trade with you, which can be pretty tough. The later you wait to try to set up your rural elective, the more difficult it is. Doing away rurals can be tough. You are out in the middle of no where, and the school only lets you have 2 days off the entire 2 months. Not to mention rural often = far, far away from any airports. The rural elective can be scheduled away, but getting approval of other sites is pretty tough. Many sites lack internet which makes checking emails for interview offers very tough.

There are no mixed feelings of people who have graduated. I regularly still talk to many people who recently graduated. I have yet to meet a single happy one. The fact that no one who RECENTLY graduated is speaking up for the school says it all. Know what you are up against, and you can still succeed.

what is the worst thing about NSU?
and do u need a car?
and what is the jewish %?

what is the worst thing about NSU?
and do u need a car?
and what is the jewish %?
Coordination of administration could be better.

A car isn't absolutely needed especially if you live at the dorms and/or at housing across the street. There is a shuttle that can take you to the mall and back. The market is about a 20 minute walk. There is usually always someone available to drive you though. There is a good deal of jewish individuals by faith. It depends on your definition though...observant, etc. I went to undergrad at Brandeis where there was a great percentage of orthodox.

Does anyone have any insight as to how NOVA's surgical department is. I want to go into surgery but I am a little worried with NOVA's elective rotation schedual. I am also a little confused with the lottery system. Is it pretty hard to place into a decent rotation for surgery.

Would people on this board quit asking about the elective rotation policy? It's very clear that we can do up to 2 electives in each specialty or subspecialty. I am currently a 4th year going on interviews for a general surgery residency. We get 5 months of electives and I have done 2 months of general surgery, 1 month of trauma surgery, 1 month of vascular surgery, and 1 month of pediatric surgery. I have done all of these electives in the Midwest at programs I am applying to and gotten to work with the residents and program directors at each program. Can I give any more of a clear example? Any questions please ask.

Would people on this board quit asking about the elective rotation policy? It's very clear that we can do up to 2 electives in each specialty or subspecialty. I am currently a 4th year going on interviews for a general surgery residency. We get 5 months of electives and I have done 2 months of general surgery, 1 month of trauma surgery, 1 month of vascular surgery, and 1 month of pediatric surgery. I have done all of these electives in the Midwest at programs I am applying to and gotten to work with the residents and program directors at each program. Can I give any more of a clear example? Any questions please ask.

So, do we have any time for other rotations? I am really worried about matching. What if I want to do 6 rotations? Will I still have a chance to match in surgery?

note sarcasm.

rurals are not that bad.....I had my rural months during sept/oct. I was allowed to take off any amount of days I needed for interviews. The strict rule of 2 days off in the two months for whoever stated that is a bunch of crap. Any decent attending will understand that you need to take days off for interviews.

also, for electives you can essentially work it so that you can do as many months of anything as you want. that 2 month rule is garbage. For example, if you want to do 5 months of IM. you do two months of general, a month of cardio, a month of GI, and a month of Nephro. or whatev combo you want.

If you want to do 4 months of cardio....you do two months under general cardio and two months under interventional.

If you want 4 months of ortho, you do 2 months general and two months hand or whatever else.

You cannot do the EXACT same thing for more than two months. but you have tons of options even within the specialties.

here is a link to what our elective application looks like http://medicine.nova.edu/academics/clinical/forms/rotationchange.pdf

As you see, even within Ortho there are 8 categories, hypothetically meaning 16 months of different electives.

Thanks for the link. I think that is more beneficial than anything else. I always wondered how that was handled...

You were lucky that your preceptor was understanding for interview time while on rurals. There are many places for rurals that you can get scheduled at. Most of them are so far away from airports that you have to take off more time than just the interview date to travel to and from the airport. Frankly, if you are doing the allo match, hardly anyone interviews in October/Sept. If you want something competitive,(not IM, ER, family, ob/gyn) it is not as easy as you think. You cannot do more than 2 months of anesthesia (unless you want to lie and call it something else), neurosurgery, radiology (you cannot get away with doing 2 months neurorads, 1 month nuclear medicine, etc), etc. The key is that you have to lie and tell them that you are doing something else. You are lucky that with certain surgery fields, you can get away with calling your surgery something else like hand or plastics, etc. IM is a field where you can do 2 months of the same subspecialty. But, if you want derm, you have to lie and call it something else if you want to do more than 2 months. You have to just hope the school does not catch you in your lie.

You were lucky that your preceptor was understanding for interview time while on rurals. There are many places for rurals that you can get scheduled at. Most of them are so far away from airports that you have to take off more time than just the interview date to travel to and from the airport. Frankly, if you are doing the allo match, hardly anyone interviews in October/Sept. If you want something competitive,(not IM, ER, family, ob/gyn) it is not as easy as you think. You cannot do more than 2 months of anesthesia (unless you want to lie and call it something else), neurosurgery, radiology (you cannot get away with doing 2 months neurorads, 1 month nuclear medicine, etc), etc. The key is that you have to lie and tell them that you are doing something else. You are lucky that with certain surgery fields, you can get away with calling your surgery something else like hand or plastics, etc. IM is a field where you can do 2 months of the same subspecialty. But, if you want derm, you have to lie and call it something else if you want to do more than 2 months. You have to just hope the school does not catch you in your lie.
yes rurals can suck if you are really far away from an airport. i guess this depends on luck. The best is if you get rurals during two months where interviews really aren't taking place.

Under radiology alone you have 8 categories. Tell me then how is it possible not to do more than 2 months?

And please tell me how allopthic EM is not difficult to get into?

if you want derm, you have to lie and call it something else if you want to do more than 2 months. You have to just hope the school does not catch you in your lie.

Derm has 2 categories: Dermatology and Dermatopathology. Does that not mean you get 2 months in each? that is what i have heard anyway

Talk to Elaine, the person in charge of approving your application. Yes, you still do have to get it approved. They do not consider nuclear medicine, neuroradiology, cardiac rads, peds rads, etc as different entities. They consider it all radiology. Been through that hell before, speaking from mine and several other person's experience. Sorry to offend anyone, but I had friends that were held back several years and failed multiple classes who had no problem matching EM. Granted, they were not the best programs in the country.

I'm confused why so many people want to do surgery residencies at Nova even though it's geared toward creating primary care doctors?

I'm confused why so many people want to do surgery residencies at Nova even though it's geared toward creating primary care doctors?

SDN is a source of anecdotes, not trends.

Rotations aren't residencies.

Nova doesn't offer a surgery residency. (Edit: oops, yes it does, http://medicine.nova.edu/academics/gme/pbcgme.html)

You are required to do a surgery rotation in med school.

"Geared toward primary care" is what a medical school calls itself to get funding.

"Interested in primary care" is what a med school candidate calls him/herself to get admitted to such a school.

"Can't afford to do primary care" is what a 3rd year med student realizes when they're looking at what residency to choose.

Congrats to all the M1s who survived. I hope y'all are enjoying a well deserved (BUT NOT LONG ENOUGH DAMMIT!) holiday break. I know I am, kickin' it in Orlando (not quite ready for revisiting the frigid Canadian winters just yet). Best. Vacation. Ever!

Congrats to all the M1s who survived. I hope y'all are enjoying a well deserved (BUT NOT LONG ENOUGH DAMMIT!) holiday break. I know I am, kickin' it in Orlando (not quite ready for revisiting the frigid Canadian winters just yet). Best. Vacation. Ever!
Oh, it's definitely not long enough. I'll see you next year.