DO Low GPA, decent MCAT need help

Started by helenti99
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

helenti99

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

cGPA: 3.15
sGPA: 3.30
MCAT: 514
Clinical: 1 year CNA ~1000hrs
Volunteer: 400hrs
Shadowing: 50hrs
Research: 1 yr, no publications
I was a part of a couple on-campus orgs, no leaderships roles though
KS resident, entering 4th year of school

I understand my GPA is very low and nowhere near the GPA I need to be competitive. I have already decided not to apply this cycle and to take a gap year. I struggled a lot my first two years of school due to illness and mental health problems but I did well my junior year and I am confident I can get 3.75+ my senior year. Still, that does not help me a lot. I also plan to continue shadowing and volunteering (get some non-clinical volunteer hours) during this year as well. I do not plan on taking the MCAT again.

To raise my GPA I am considering doing a one-year masters program or SMP during my gap year, however, I am not set on this idea due to financial reasons but if it helps me get into medical school I will do it.

My main question is: should I do a SMP or apply with the stats I will have after this year?

I realize I better fit the application for DO schools rather than MD so I will mainly apply DO with a few MD thrown in.
 
Anecdotally, I had around a 3.3-3.4 and similar MCAT and received multiple MD IIs. If by the end of senior year your GPA can get there, you are competitive for lower tier MDs without need for postbac.