low GPA dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niagra_falls

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,
I just calculated my overall Science GPA and it's a 3.0, my overall however is a 2.8.
I was wondering if there are any schools that would be willing to take me with a lower GPA. I have not taken my DAT yet but am studying for them right now. the only school that I know of is MIDwestern but even there I'm not sure I would get in. Please help and thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Howard, meharry, tufts, western. But you should really consider doing a postbacc or masters to increase your chances

Howard, meharry, tufts, western. But you should really consider doing a postbacc or masters to increase your chances
I agree. Masters program all the way

Members don't see this ad :)
Both my science and overall GPA are low also; I'm taking the DAT next month.
The strong points of my app are my ECs and recs, but I'm assuming they won't be looked at if GPA and DAT are average to below average. Is that a correct assumption?
Also, does anyone know if a low GPA from a higher ranked university is viewed equally as a low GPA from a lower ranked university?
Thanks ahead for any answers!

Heard some schools have a multiply factors and other don't. I am not 100% sure tho.

I wouldn't bother taking the DAT yet, your likely not ready....I would begin a post back and get GPAs up to 3.2+ with a 3.5+ masters or post bac, take DAT next summer

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Do you mean low from a high rank vs. high from a low rank? Because I would think those would be more equal than low at a low rank.

Thanks for your input!
I'm wondering if there is any benefit of having a low gpa from a competitive/higher ranked undergraduate university vs a less competitive one; i.e., maybe my gpa would have been higher had I not attended a university where almost everyone is a strong student; is that a factor given any consideration by the admissions committee

At this point, getting my undergrad degree from this school may be one of the only high points on my app, lol

Reactions: 1 user
Also, does anyone know if a low GPA from a higher ranked university is viewed equally as a low GPA from a lower ranked university?
Thanks ahead for any answers!

Personally, I don't think the school will matter, a low gpa is a low gpa. Maybe if we were talking about a more average or higher gpa they might consider the school. But I'm not adcoms that's just my opinion.