This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tarab

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel like this comes up a lot on these sorts of forums but I'm a MD-PhD hopeful at a university ranked 100-125 and I bombed my first semester, making only a 3.44. I only took STEM classes and I'm very involved in a research lab, and hoping to get an REU for the summer. From what I've heard you need to basically have a 3.8 or greater to have any shot at MSTP, and that would mean making 4.0's for the next semesters.
I'm worried because I felt like I "tried hard" this semester and still did so terribly. I got involved, went to office hours, did practice problems (and generally did well on the practice problems), went to tutoring, etc. and still bombed a few critical tests, dragging the whole average down. I'm not sure how to prevent that from happening or if anyone has any better studying advice, so I don't end up with a downward trend. (For context: I'm an engineering major.) I am also unsure of how to get those other things you need for a med school app like volunteering at a hospital or doctor shadowing since the hospital near my school gives heavy preference to sophomores/juniors.
 
This question gets asked weekly bombing your first semester does not have a big impact it is the long time patterns that matter so strive for success in the future