Low GPA..... Help me out!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigBoxer34

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attended a small liberal arts university where my cumulative and BCP GPA were both about 3.2.. which is not what I would think to be an ideal when applying to dental school. However I recently took the DAT and did fairly decent, but I am not sure if my scores will cancel out my lower GPA... My scores were as follows:

PA: 20
QR: 20
RC: 22
Bio: 24
GC: 18
OC: 20
TS: 21
AA: 21

I am a underrepresented minority and I was also a NCAA athlete all four years of my undergrad career; I feel like both of these factors may also help with my chances of acceptance.... What do you think? Is there anything I can do within the next 6 months to better my chances?

Also if any schools pop out to you that I should most definitely apply (other than the one in state), let me know!

I am new to the network so any input is much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Great DAT, below average but not horrible GPA. Being an URM will definitely help you, as well as being an athlete (unique extracurricular). From now until the next cycle, do some shadowing if you haven't already (100 hours is a good number to aim for). Do any other volunteer work/extracurriculars that interest you. Or if you lack experience in the dental clinic, try and get a position in an office or at your school's dental clinics.

Two schools that come to mind immediately are Howard and Meharry which cater to URM (they are historically black colleges). But any other schools that accept a good amount of out of staters will do.

With your stats and status, I believe you will be in great shape. :)

URM changes things a lot, and with a 3.2 you'll have a significantly better chance of getting in than if you weren't URM. The NCAA thing will also help a lot, so long as you don't put all of your eggs in one basket (captain of the basketball team, volunteered through the basketball team, did research through a sports med clinic with our basketball team, etc.). You need to be diverse and show that you're willing to get out of your comfort zone. Good job on the DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
What liberal arts school did you attend?

I think you would get into schools without being a URM...you did well on the DAT, good EC (assuming you have done something beyond athletics), and have an acceptable GPA for many schools. Apply intelligently and you will likely get in on your first try. Don't sell yourself short and think you might get in somewhere in part due to your race as it seems you will have a solid application.