Low GPA, high DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYUlov3r27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am looking to apply this cycle but I need some advice. I have a 2.7 GPA and a 24 AA DAT score. I really want to go to NYU but I'm nervous about my GPA. Should I apply this cycle still or should i do a post-bacc? My GPA is so low because I had a very traumatic experience happen to me my last couple semesters of school and I became very depressed and suicidal. I started seeing a therapist and I am getting better. My last semester of college I had all As. You can definitely see where my grades started to fall during that time and when I brought them back up after I started seeing a therapist. I also worked at a dentist office for 2.5 years and have over 1500 hours of shadowing/volunteering experience. So please give me all the advice you can!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I am looking to apply this cycle but I need some advice. I have a 2.7 GPA and a 24 AA DAT score. I really want to go to NYU but I'm nervous about my GPA. Should I apply this cycle still or should i do a post-bacc? My GPA is so low because I had a very traumatic experience happen to me my last couple semesters of school and I became very depressed and suicidal. I started seeing a therapist and I am getting better. My last semester of college I had all As. You can definitely see where my grades started to fall during that time and when I brought them back up after I started seeing a therapist. I also worked at a dentist office for 2.5 years and have over 1500 hours of shadowing/volunteering experience. So please give me all the advice you can!
I would say to do both. Apply, but start a postbacc so you can reapply the following year if it doesn't work out. Out of curiosity, why NYU specifically?
I'm very sorry about your experiences and we are glad that you are doing better now. Keep pushing and you'll get to where you want to be!

Reactions: 2 users
I would say to do both. Apply, but start a postbacc so you can reapply the following year if it doesn't work out. Out of curiosity, why NYU specifically?
I'm very sorry about your experiences and we are glad that you are doing better now. Keep pushing and you'll get to where you want to be!
Thank you so much! I am doing a lot better now. I've always been in love with New york and NYU since I was little. It's always been a top choice of mine. I called them and asked them what I should do and they told me to apply and to just state what happened in my personal statement but I am nervous they aren't going to accept me because of my GPA. I will look into postbacc programs, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would try to do a postbac if possible, especially if your science GPA is also below 3.0. There's still a chance you could be accepted but it would also depend on the rest of your application since it's a holistic process.

how did you study? your score is amazing

Reactions: 1 users
I have literally the same stats as you (24DAT, 2.7 sGPA, 2.98oGPA) and after applying last cycle unsuccessfully to 25 schools (including NYU), I decided to do a Master's program. I think it's worth a shot to apply, but also just know that the odds are stacked against us. I really thought going in that maybe my DAT would compensate for my GPA, but it didn't seem like it :( I'm going to be reapplying this upcoming cycle after finishing the program.

But don't be discouraged because it's honestly all just a crapshoot lol. I went to visit an admissions officer yesterday at a school I had interviewed at because I was wondering since then wtf I had done wrong, but he reviewed my entire app including my interview and LORs and he told me that there wasn't any particular red flag besides my undergrad GPA. He told me that sometimes, it's just not your time but always be hopeful and try to keep yourself busy.

You should be able to get in somewhere, just be careful and watch out for cut offs. I'd look into MWU-AZ/ MWU-IL, Western, can't remember any others off the top of my head.

do a post-bacc or masters. Also, tell us how you achieved that 24 AA.

Do a masters and apply to more than just NYU. There's no gaurantees for any school.

You could give it a shot any apply to a ton of schools.

My stats are very similar to yours. my gpa is a little higher (around 2.8-2.9). My DAT is also 24AA and i'm in post bacc. Lets hope we both get in somewhere!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
am also interested in NYU and am wondering about my chances considering low GPA high DAT???

i have a 3.45 cGPA and 3.18 sGPA at a pretty grade-deflating top 10 school (24 aa DAT) although i have shown a slight upward trend (first sem gpa was 3.1). both of my parents were dealing with life-threatening illnesses freshman year, which contributed to my low gpa at the time and i will write about that. since then, my grades have gotten better but were not 3.8-4.0 considering the difficulty of the school i'm at. i have 300+ hours of volunteering(children's hospital), 150+ hours shadowing, 400+ hours of molecular biology research, am on the exec board of a club, and am a part of a pre-health society. my volunteer coordinator and research mentor will write my recs and i'm confident that they'll be strong. thinking about grad plans and i really don't want to take a gap year.. what do you think about my chances for dental school? schools you'd recommend?

I have literally the same stats as you (24DAT, 2.7 sGPA, 2.98oGPA) and after applying last cycle unsuccessfully to 25 schools (including NYU), I decided to do a Master's program. I think it's worth a shot to apply, but also just know that the odds are stacked against us. I really thought going in that maybe my DAT would compensate for my GPA, but it didn't seem like it :( I'm going to be reapplying this upcoming cycle after finishing the program.

But don't be discouraged because it's honestly all just a crapshoot lol. I went to visit an admissions officer yesterday at a school I had interviewed at because I was wondering since then wtf I had done wrong, but he reviewed my entire app including my interview and LORs and he told me that there wasn't any particular red flag besides my undergrad GPA. He told me that sometimes, it's just not your time but always be hopeful and try to keep yourself busy.
Did you apply to NOVA?

I was hoping y'all could give me some advice as well.

I have a 2.96 overall, 2.76 science GPA.

I got a 25AA on the DAT:
PAT: 24
QR: 25
RC: 25
BIO: 26
CHEM: 25
OCHEM: 25

I know my GPA is really low, but my last 60 hours have been about a 3.7 and I think around 51 of them were science credits. My personal statement is pretty good and I have strong letters. 280 hours of shadowing, around 600 hours of volunteering and I was the Treasurer of a humanitarian organization on campus for two years. I'm applying to 20 schools total and I should be completely finished with supplemental applications in about a week. What do you think my chances are of at least 1 acceptance? Of 3? I'll copy and paste my list of schools below. I'm not taking any graduate classes this fall because I was hoping to wait and see if I get an acceptance in December. If not, I'll be taking classes towards a Masters in Biology degree with a focus in pre-health.

Houston
San Antonio
Dallas
Maryland
Marquette
Roseman
LECOM
Colorado
Tufts
Western
Rutgers
Temple
Oklahoma
VCU
Boston University
NYU
CASE Western
Touro
ASDOH
USC

Thanks so much for your time.

Attachments

• 20180731_160232.jpg
    20180731_160232.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 151
Nice scores!!! I hope the adcoms notice your significant improvements. Good luck!

I was hoping y'all could give me some advice as well.

I have a 2.96 overall, 2.76 science GPA.

I got a 25AA on the DAT:
PAT: 24
QR: 25
RC: 25
BIO: 26
CHEM: 25
OCHEM: 25

I know my GPA is really low, but my last 60 hours have been about a 3.7 and I think around 51 of them were science credits. My personal statement is pretty good and I have strong letters. 280 hours of shadowing, around 600 hours of volunteering and I was the Treasurer of a humanitarian organization on campus for two years. I'm applying to 20 schools total and I should be completely finished with supplemental applications in about a week. What do you think my chances are of at least 1 acceptance? Of 3? I'll copy and paste my list of schools below. I'm not taking any graduate classes this fall because I was hoping to wait and see if I get an acceptance in December. If not, I'll be taking classes towards a Masters in Biology degree with a focus in pre-health.

Houston
San Antonio
Dallas
Maryland
Marquette
Roseman
LECOM
Colorado
Tufts
Western
Rutgers
Temple
Oklahoma
VCU
Boston University
NYU
CASE Western
Touro
ASDOH
USC

Thanks so much for your time.
I think you shud keep taking classes in fall. What if you don’t get in this cycle? you only take classes in spring and this won’t have a significant change towards ur gpa. Also if you take classes in Fall you can utilize the academic update. you might get post December interview because of that. I’m in no position to talk because I’m scared too but I feel like low gpa(below 3) gives us lower chance to get pre December interview.

I know this is an old thread, but I’m in a similar situation and am wondering how it turned out for you.

I just applied to 14 dental schools this cycle. My undergrad gpa was terrible, 2.84. Now I’m 29 yrs old, post-bacc gpa 3.43 (still not great, but working full time in Orthopaedic sales, which interferes with school).
DAT scores: 22 AA, 20 TS, 27 PAT.

I’m not trying to get into the Ivy League schools. I just want some interviews. I appreciate any insight you can provide.

I’m thinking about quitting my job to become a dental assistant and taking a biomed science masters if it doesn’t work out this year.

I know this is an old thread, but I’m in a similar situation and am wondering how it turned out for you.

I just applied to 14 dental schools this cycle. My undergrad gpa was terrible, 2.84. Now I’m 29 yrs old, post-bacc gpa 3.43 (still not great, but working full time in Orthopaedic sales, which interferes with school).
DAT scores: 22 AA, 20 TS, 27 PAT.

I’m not trying to get into the Ivy League schools. I just want some interviews. I appreciate any insight you can provide.

I’m thinking about quitting my job to become a dental assistant and taking a biomed science masters if it doesn’t work out this year.

good DAT i definitely think you should apply and that you have a chance. apply broadly and to many schools, targeting schools that like non-trads

I’m curious, how did you guys get such high DAT scores but such low GPA’s? Not trying to be rude or anything, you guys are obviously academically inclined if you can bust a 25AA, how come you didn’t demolish those science classes in school?

I’m curious, how did you guys get such high DAT scores but such low GPA’s? Not trying to be rude or anything, you guys are obviously academically inclined if you can bust a 25AA, how come you didn’t demolish those science classes in school?

Different schools have different levels of difficulties. Had to finish one of my physics pre-reqs at a state school and it really was a joke of a class. They were using the same textbook and problem sets as my high school 9th grade physics class...
Its the reason why people here at SDN says is a big red flag if you have a high GPA and low DAT score.

Sometimes people just don't perform well in the first two years of their college career; but start doing well in the 3rd and 4th year and it shows up in their DAT efforts. Sometimes, people are just really good at test taking but cannot do well in a 4-5 month semester long curriculum. People are just so different in how they score well in the DAT.

That said, if you have a high DAT after getting a low GPA, you should get a few interviews. There is no replacement for a good GPA tbh because it has probably the highest correlation with your success in dental school (given that the processes for getting a good GPA in college and dental schools are very similar). Despite that schools want to believe that you have improved and can continue to perform on the same level as you performed on your DAT. For example, one of my students had a combined 2.9 (undegrad 2.5 and masters 3.5); but he killed it in the DAT (26) and got two acceptances.

Apply to schools strategically. You are not going to get into Harvard, but you have a shot at some great schools (ex. Nova, ASDOH, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2.8 undergrad gpa and 3.7 master's gpa with a 24 AA/ 24 TS. I applied to 16 schools, hoping to get something.

Reactions: 3 users
So for someone who has a low science GPA, would you guys say its better to do post bacc or a masters?

I have a 2.8 undergrad gpa and 3.7 master's gpa with a 24 AA/ 24 TS. I applied to 16 schools, hoping to get something.

as long as you applied broadly and wisely, you should get some interviews

as long as you applied broadly and wisely, you should get some interviews

I tried my best. I only applied to two schools that I personally felt were reach schools. Tried to be honest with myself while choosing as well as meticulous in checking requirements to go with my best chances.

I tried my best. I only applied to two schools that I personally felt were reach schools. Tried to be honest with myself while choosing as well as meticulous in checking requirements to go with my best chances.

congrats on the work it took to do so well on the DAT and in your masters program
best of luck to you this cycle

good DAT i definitely think you should apply and that you have a chance. apply broadly and to many schools, targeting schools that like non-trads
Thanks. I tried to apply to schools that seemed realistic based on stats in the ADEA explorer dental school guide. Do you have any particular schools in mind that you know like non-traditional students?

Thanks. I tried to apply to schools that seemed realistic based on stats in the ADEA explorer dental school guide. Do you have any particular schools in mind that you know like non-traditional students?
Colorado

Well I didn’t get a 25AA, I got a 22. But basically I was immature and I wasn’t focused on school the way I should’ve been when I was in my undergrad.

Hi everyone, I figured I'd post an update in here just to say that you should definitely not give up if you're sure you really want to be a dentist. A masters degree is for sure the way to go to help with a low GPA.

0 interviews when I applied in 2018
2 interview at Nova and Tufts in 2019
7 interview so far this cycle (2 in Texas)

Here's a thread where you can read a bit more detail about my application: Looking for advice. 2.96 cumulative GPA, 2.76 science GPA, 25AA DAT.