LOW GPA, my story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lahuynh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my horrendous case:

I have a 2.75 GPA. I retook a few of my science courses because I failed them miserably while going through some personal issues. I retook the first course of the organic chemistry 3 times, and finally got a C. I also failed in a general biology and physiology lab, and still need to be retaken for a better grade. For all other classes, I received average grades, splotched with As, Bs, and Cs.

What are my chances of getting in with these atrocious grades? I'm planning on taking the PCATs, but don't know how to study for it. I struggle particularly in ochem and genchem. Do you think the Kaplan's MCAT comprehensive study material on Ochem and biology would suffice for the PCATs?

I know my case isn't beautiful, but my passion for pharmacy wasn't clear until it was too late to salvage my GPA. I'm here for advice and constructive criticism. If there's anything you guys could do to help, please do. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.:(

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, but I don't think with those grades you're going to be able to get into pharmacy school. It's really competitive and a lot of schools won't even look at your file if your GPA is below a certain point. The only way I see you getting into pharmacy school is working as a tech or something else in the pharmacy field for a few years and then apply with all the experience to back you up, even then your grades will be looked at and that GPA is going to really hurt you... You can retake more classes to get better grades, but then you've got all those retakes on your transcript...

Sorry, but I don't think with those grades you're going to be able to get into pharmacy school. It's really competitive and a lot of schools won't even look at your file if your GPA is below a certain point. The only way I see you getting into pharmacy school is working as a tech or something else in the pharmacy field for a few years and then apply with all the experience to back you up, even then your grades will be looked at and that GPA is going to really hurt you... You can retake more classes to get better grades, but then you've got all those retakes on your transcript...

Yeah... don't listen to this guy too much. I'm not going to patronize you and say that your GPA isn't a little less competitive, but I just talked to a fellow student during one of my interviews who had a 2.8 GPA. Granted, he had a pretty strong PCAT, but they also look a great deal at extracurricular activities and experience when selecting students.

So try to finish strong in future classes, possibly take 'easier' classes on the side to further improve your GPA, retake any classes you can (at the very least this shows that you have a desire to improve) and try to shadow, shadow, shadow.

It sounds like you clearly have a passion and a desire, and if you strengthen your GPA and reinforce other areas chances are that you will get an interview to a few schools that you apply to. The student before I mentioned with a 2.8 had already gotten accepted into one school, and got an interview at another, so your GPA can't hold you back unless you want it to.

So don't let your GPA stop you by all means at least get into the application cycle of several schools so that at least your name gets out there and you can better your chances in the following year if you end up not getting in. Most schools I've seen had 'average' GPAs of around 3.3 or so, so this means that they still accept scores below 3.3 as well as above. 2.75 is the minimum for pre-requisites, but 2.5 is the minimum overall GPA in most cases. I would suggest applying to as many schools as you can, though, since again you are somewhat at a disadvantage but it is by no means a deal breaker. Once you get an interview you can really shine and express your desire to become a PharmD, so try to get the odds in your favor by any means necessary.

Don't let naysayers get you down. Do what you want to do, it will be difficult but worth it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your best bet would be retaking and getting at least a B in all the prerequisites, and then going for a Bachelors degree in something you find interesting. After that, apply to pharmacy school.

Do you think it would be worthwhile for him to at least apply to the school which could show upon later reapplication that he has a consistent desire to attend it? I'm not sure if schools even keep a record as to who has applied, but it couldn't hurt aside from the application/PharmCAS fee.

1. get your **** together
2. retake the failed (prereq)courses and shoot for A's and no less than B's
3. get some pharmacy experience- that means getting a job as a tech or volunteering a lot of hours
4. score very high on the PCAT >80% AT LEAST. Shoot for 90ish.
5. write some damn good essays
6. apply to schools with lower GPA requirements and apply to some of the newer schools.
7. GET YOUR **** TOGETHER.

3. get some pharmacy experience- that means getting a job as a tech or volunteering a lot of hours
6. apply to schools with lower GPA requirements and apply to some of the newer schools.

I agree 100%. There is no way to sugar-coat it.:thumbup: Can it be done? Hell yea. However, it more than likely is gonna be a struggle to get there. Not sure how else to put it.

Solid advice. The only small change I would make is move number 6 to number 2. If number two fails the first time, then do all the rest of that stuff. The only disadvantage to applying are the fees. Who knows, you might be accepted. Even if you are not accepted you will have an advantage in the next cycle because you will have already experienced it once. Also if you are not accepted you can ask the admissions committee what you can do to be more competitive next cycle - and then do it! Their advice would be invaluable.

Anyway Good Luck!