Low GPA, Peace Corps Volunteer, Post-bacc Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flossedtalk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, still kinda new to this so please bear with me.

I graduated in 2015 with a b.s. in public health from an accredited Southern California university. College, for me, was a gigantic party and looking back, I was very lucky to have graduated in the first place. I barely graduated with a 2.2 GPA, but fulfilled all pre-med prerequisites other than a year of physics (it wasn't required for my major), and also got solid research and clinical experience while in college. I had given up on my dream to become a doctor knowing my credentials really won't take me anywhere, so I decided to work in an unrelated field for a year and a half after college.

Fast forward to today - I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer, finishing up my last year working in the health field, which reignited my passion for medicine and clinical health. I would like to give myself another chance to chase my dream of becoming a doctor. My work as a Health PCV has been such a fulfilling one - I have met so many interesting people, tried many new things, learned a new language - these experiences have really sparked a paradigm shift on my personal outlook on medicine. I understand that I have a lot of work ahead of me if I want to pursue this dream, but I've really matured with my experience in the Peace Corps and want to use this motivation as momentum to keep me going.

At this point, I am looking to take some classes through UCLA Extension, since my undergrad GPA is below the cutoff for most post-bacc programs that I know of. Ideally, I would like to get into a structured post-bacc program, but I don't know of any that will accept me because of my low GPA. The UCLA Extension website is also pretty bleak, and I would like to know if anyone has had any luck with this program, or if anyone has any idea of other options that I may have.

I don't really know who to talk to regarding my situation so I'm looking to you guys for any ideas or advice on what to do next.

Mahalo

Members don't see this ad.