Low GPA/ Please help me make a game plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful_md12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on sdn I'm hoping to get some advice on how to make myself a better applicant in the future. Before I post my stats I want to you say I understand how poor my grades have been I would just like some advice on what to do now as I'm about to graduate. My cgpa: 3.04 sgpa:3.21 I had a rough first year went to school 4 hour drive from home/family and started showing symptoms of PCOS+hypothyroidism my freshman gpa was barely a 2.0. Afterwards I had a slow upward trend gpa wise. I attribute my grades to a combination of having to work while in school, health issues and just not being prepared for college because high school came easy to me. My last 3 semesters Ive gotten nearly all A's. I started as a Bio major and failed my gen chem courses the first year and passed my gen bio courses with a B and C. Afterwards I transferred to a local CC and then transferred into a reputable SUNY. I stopped attempting prereq courses and focused on My major req (Psych). I was thinking of doing a "career changer" post bacc or maybe just continue to take prereqs at my current school. If anyone has any advice to bestow upon me I would greatly appreciate it. Im not sure how much this would help me but I am a URM (African American).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should have led with "I'm a URM". Your GPA is fine for being a URM and as long as you get a 500+ MCAT youre in good shape for MD or DO schools. URM gives you a substantial advantage, AMCAS has data online (Table 24 I believe?) that shows URM matriculation rates being much higher. Best of luck

Reactions: 2 users
The next step for you is to study up and take the MCAT. With a solid score there, your upward trend + URM can give you good odds with your current GPAs.

These are the tables mentioned above.
As you can see, for AA a 3.1/28 or 3.1/31 has the same odds as a white person with 3.7/31 or 3.7/34, respectively. Here is a table for comparing the old MCAT scores to new score system.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank You both for the responses, like I said before I stopped taking prereqs to focus on my undergrad req. So I'm wondering if I should do a formal postbacc.. (If id even be considered a candidate for a "career-changer" postbacc). Or should I complete my prereqs at my current undergrad, kill the mcat and apply. @Goro @DrMidlife I would really appreciate your input.

Thank You both for the responses, like I said before I stopped taking prereqs to focus on my undergrad req. So I'm wondering if I should do a formal postbacc.. (If id even be considered a candidate for a "career-changer" postbacc). Or should I complete my prereqs at my current undergrad, kill the mcat and apply. @Goro @DrMidlife I would really appreciate your input.
Finish the pre-reqs, kill MCAT, and apply.

Reactions: 4 users
don't take the MCAT until you've mastered the content in the prereqs, by working a million problems. you're in charge of knowing the content cold.

Take the MCAT only once, when you're ready. get it right the first time.

Manage your brand. A doctor is the grownup in charge of whatever happens. Next time badness happens, protect your brand. Ask for help. Let other people carry distracting family burdens or you'll never get to be a doctor.

Look into doing a 2nd bachelors.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
As @efle said you're actually in a pretty good position. The US has a real need for AA physicians and many medical schools are trying to fulfill this gap in the US healthcare system. Even bringing up your GPA slightly gives you an excellent chance on admission to medical school. That said, I would echo the advice about taking your time with the prereqs and studying for the MCAT. Focus on getting A's (or as close as possible). Medical school is brutal and figuring out to succeed academically now will save you later. It will also help you come time for the MCAT. Do not take the MCAT until you have finished all of your prereqs and are consistently getting the score you want on practice tests.

I don't think it matters where you take you prereqs (just not a CC) and I don't think there's any reason to go for a second degree. Just focus on doing well in the classes you need, even if that means taking them one or two at a time. Many postbacc students work part or full time doing some sort of medically-relevant work (medical assistant, research assistant, etc.), which might be a good option for you. Volunteering is also a must, but don't overload yourself (which is why doing the prereqs at a slower pace might be best).

Last edited:
Thank You all so much. I have been doubting myself a bit lately I appreciate the advice. I look forward to reporting back to you with good news in the future.

Hey everyone. Recent graduate from a 4 year SUNY program. I was looking over threads, freaking out, being depressed, for awhile now and seeing this has me brimming with hope. I have the same exact cGPA as OP and a 2.92 sGPA from my undergraduate studies. I haven't taken Biology 2, Organic Chemistry or Physics yet. I had C's in Biochemistry and Genetics since I made the silly mistake of trying to balance overnight security work with education but I know if I were to retake those courses I'd do much better. I'd also be classified as a URM being African American. Where do you think I stand and what should be my next course of action to pursue a career in medicine?

Where do you think I stand and what should be my next course of action to pursue a career in medicine?
Grade repair on the sGPA, 100%. As URM you only need to get it up a little bit - something like 3.3 would be fine if the MCAT accompanying is decent! Getting good grades while finishing the missing prereqs in post-bacc Bio, Ochem, and Physics should be your next start.

Grade repair on the sGPA, 100%. As URM you only need to get it up a little bit - something like 3.3 would be fine if the MCAT accompanying is decent! Getting good grades while finishing the missing prereqs in post-bacc Bio, Ochem, and Physics should be your next start.

Thank you so much for your quick reply. So I won't need a formal post bacc, I was just thinking of taking the necessary prereqs at my state college I attended. Wouldn't a committee letter be beneficial?

Thank you so much for your quick reply. So I won't need a formal post bacc, I was just thinking of taking the necessary prereqs at my state college I attended. Wouldn't a committee letter be beneficial?
That would just be a DIY post bacc, which is fine.

It would depend on what the committee plans to write. If they are going to recommend you "with reservations" because of the sub-3.0 GPA you graduated with, you're better off skipping their letter.