Low gpa what to do what to do....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abc245

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been bummed out for awhile now. I graduated and have been working for 2 years with some crappy jobs and some health related jobs. I wanted to do dentistry, but never thought I could get in so I gave up on the idea. I graduated college had little above a 3.0 gpa and worked a year then took some post bac classes and have a 3.3 gpa cumulative post bac right now and will take 2 more. I will try to get As. I have taken about 5 classes so far, it could have been 3.5 had a B+ in physiology almost had an A so pretty bummed about that one. As of right now I would say I have a 3.1 or 3.08 ogpa and a sci gpa of 2.87 bachelor of science. Maybe I can get a 2.9 sci gpa if I ace these next two classes.

Now I feel like theres a deadline for me to get moving with my life. I live with my parents, parents have been upset with me and I have been sad for awhile. Feels like my life has been in limbo. I could get kicked out of the house next year if I don't get in. So its basically all my eggs in one basket. So I want to get in this cycle, if not then I will do something else ... anything. I thought about other professions alot, but I feel like I wouldn't be happy. I thought **** it why settle and be miserable, I want to do dentistry so I figure I will try my best this year. I did a quick practice nbde part 1 test and scored well considering I just took it for fun. Just shows that I am interested in dentistry and I want to learn it.

Now I have shadowed one of the dentist and he will write me a letters of recommendation and I can ask one of my professors for one as well. Obviously I will try to kick ass on the DAT, I will have basically 6 months to study before the application opens. I plan on applying to alot of schools and am willing to go anywhere for school. I have alot of self doubt like one moment I am like **** it go big or go home and another is like I probably won't get in why bother etc... I am wondering what are my chances? How can I make my application as strong as possible? Anyone I can talk to, maybe a glimmer of hope or something?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
-

Last edited:
Get a master's degree and apply. I'm not saying you can't get in with your current scores, but you dramatically increase your chances (in your situation) with
a master's.

I know masters degree is the way to go, but as of right now its either sink or swim. If I don't get in this cycle then I would have to weigh my options. Do I want to pull out more loans and do a masters program or just do something else. Do you know anyone who got into dental with 3.0?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone with a 3.0, and didn't initially get in. Got a master's, and had multiple interviews/acceptances. Although there are people that do get in with really low GPAs, but of course have connections within the school. Then there are the outliers that don't have any connections and have low GPAs and somehow get in. There's a lot of possibilities that you could "weigh", but your best chance is to take out a loan and get that master's degree, then apply.

I know someone with a 3.0, and didn't initially get in. Got a master's, and had multiple interviews/acceptances. Although there are people that do get in with really low GPAs, but of course have connections within the school. Then there are the outliers that don't have any connections and have low GPAs and somehow get in. There's a lot of possibilities that you could "weigh", but your best chance is to take out a loan and get that master's degree, then apply.

Yeah I understand. I will consider if I don't get in this cycle.

Do whatever it takes to get over the 3.0 and shoot for a 24 on the DAT. If you complete both of those things, along with other goodies you can add to your application, I honestly think you will have a shot.

Do whatever it takes to get over the 3.0 and shoot for a 24 on the DAT. If you complete both of those things, along with other goodies you can add to your application, I honestly think you will have a shot.

When you say get over the 3.0 do you mean the science gpa?

When you say get over the 3.0 do you mean the science gpa?

Yes, science gpa. I know someone that got in with a 3.2 but had a 22 on the DAT. So I believe a 24 should do the trick(although no guarantees).

The dental school stats show plenty of people that get in with a 3.0 or slightly lower, however, it's likely that those students also had very high DAT's or had something else on their application that really stood out. I would study hard for the DAT, take that, see how you do and then decide what to do after that. If you are planning on applying for this cycle, I would say your chances are lower because your application will be pretty late in the process. I would consider waiting to apply next year. I also have to say, your post-bac GPA is really what might kill your application not so much your undergrad GPA. It will really come down to your DAT. If you don't get at least a 23, I'd say your chances of getting in are slim--but I would still apply because you never know.