Low GPA: Which option is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Forkit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to get into pharmacy school, but unfortunately my GPA is low :(. (less than 2.5) I'm pretty much done taking all the electives for my major and only have 3-4 required courses left to complete my degree. So what is the best route for me to beef up my chances, provided I have a solid PCAT score (above 80) and decent ECs??

A.) Retake all classes I have Ds/Fs in and get As in those classes. I have about 5-6 Ds/Fs :eek:

B.) Take other (5 to 6) available elective classes pertaining to my major and get good grades in those.

C.) Complete my degree and pursue a masters before I apply to pharmacy school.

Thank you, your input will be HIGHLY appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

You should complete your degree and also retake any pre reqs with low grades and then apply. Make sure you earn a high gpa.

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get into pharmacy school, but unfortunately my GPA is low :(. (less than 2.5) I'm pretty much done taking all the electives for my major and only have 3-4 required courses left to complete my degree. So what is the best route for me to beef up my chances, provided I have a solid PCAT score (above 80) and decent ECs??

A.) Retake all classes I have Ds/Fs in and get As in those classes. I have about 5-6 Ds/Fs :eek:

B.) Take other (5 to 6) available elective classes pertaining to my major and get good grades in those.

C.) Complete my degree and pursue a masters before I apply to pharmacy school.

Thank you, your input will be HIGHLY appreciated!!

Doing any/all of those things would greatly help your chances; it depends how much you have in the tank by way of 'academic power'. What seems doable to you? Take on a challenge you feel confidant about. You will definitely need to show proficiency in the relevant science coursework, so retaking those classes for better grades is imperative. Going the extra distance by way of additional classes/degrees is another way to prove your capabilities. Just ask yourself. You know best what you are capable of.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
First off, why were your grades so low? If you had a reason other than you just couldn't hack it (working too much, poor study habits that have since improved, health issues, etc.) then consider retaking. There's no point in retaking classes if you're not going to do substantially better the second time around though. If you use pharmcas, the retakes are averaged with the original grades if I remember correctly. Of course, if these grades were in pharmacy pre-reqs then you have no other choice since you need Cs, minimum. Whether you retake or not though, it would be silly not to finish your degree at this point. Applicants with a bachelors are generally favored over those without, all other things being equal.

Taking electives pertaining to your major, if the sole purpose is to raise your gpa, is probably a waste of time. If you're a chem or bio major, doing well in upper level courses could help your case somewhat.

I honestly don't know how much getting a masters would help your case. I personally only know one person who applied to pharmacy school with a masters and she didn't get in (>3.5 grad gpa), for whatever that's worth.

In regards to the PCAT, do you actually have a solid score already, or is this hypothetical? The PCAT could be your golden ticket here. Say you were a crappy student initially, got some Ds and Fs early on, but then your grades improved and you finished your degree. If you get a killer PCAT score, schools will be more likely to chalk your bad grades up to immaturity and they'll see you trending up.

Also, most schools require an absolute minimum of a 2.5, so you're probably wasting your time applying if it's less than that, killer PCAT or no.

My plan, if I were in your position:
1. Finish your degree.
2. Focus on retaking pre-reqs first (especially those that cover PCAT relevant material), then other courses.
3. Study your ass off for the PCAT, retaking if necessary.

Good luck!

My advice would be to get ur BS and retake any of the classes you F's or got D in. Are any of the classes you have F's in pre-rec classes for pharmacy? like orgo 1 & 2 , microbio, anatomy, gen chem 1 and 2? because if those are your F's & D's you should deff retake them because most schools will not consider you unless you get a C or above in those classes no matter how good ur GPA is you need to get atleast a C in those classes...

if i were you i would really think if pharmacy is the right career choice for you. i don't think getting a masters will help your chances of getting into school. i did my masters because i wanted to go to med school but did horrible on the MCAT and did not get into med school but i really liked pharmacy so i decided to try it and i did decent on my pcat but my credentials and GPA really helped my chances of getting into a school.

I would think of if you are really serious about getting a further education after ur BS. It just makes me wonder if your getting D's and F's in easy classes how are you going to handle tough classes in pharm school. Since the rigors of pharmacy school are nothing like undergrad you may want to consider if you can handle the curriculum of the classes since they are really hard. just some food for thought. good luck and hope all goes well....

What are your D's and F's in?

Don't retake anything you don't need for pre reqs/graduation. It would be a complete waste of time. If you're doing well now, then all those D's and F's are past tense and I wouldn't waste the time worrying about the "whys" of it all (unless, like I said, you're still getting D's and F's).

Get the degree. And don't take a bunch of bull**** classes, either.

You also need to be more specific about your situation. I think a masters would be useless unless your cGPA upon graduation was completely abysmal and even then, a few challenging post bac classes would probably suffice if you got A's in them. But, it all depends on your cGPA and sGPA upon getting your degree.

Also, where are you going to apply?

Re-taking the Pre-reqsare the best bet while going for your BS.

Before I continue, I'm going to assume you meant getting a bachelors degree.

1) If they're pre-pharmacy courses, re-take them. Provided you fulfill your plans of doing substantially better this time.

2) Chances are that you might end up deciding pharmacy isn't for you, sometime later. Perhaps, while in the pharmacy program or at time of graduation. Oh yes, these things happen!

SO, I think you better complete/ get your degree. 3-4 courses looks like a semester worth of courses. If that is truly the case, get your degree!!

3) While preparing to take your PCAT or going through the pharmacy application process, have your masters program underway. Just in case you're placed on waiting list or worse off, rejected. Which would mean waiting for another whole year.

These are not words of discouragement, but words of advice to complete your back-up plan. Whatever you choose to do, make sure you get your degree first! I can't stress how valuable it will become for you.

Then by the time you have your masters, your application package will have a much better status. But you'll need to raise your GPA a little bit above average at the same time.
Hope that helps:thumbup:

What is your major? If it's a major such as Art History (no offense!) then you should rather focus on your prerequisite classes as that would be your priority for getting into pharmacy school.

However, if it is a major such as Bio/Chem (or something science related), then that could give you a solid foundation for possibly switching career paths. You need to remind yourself why you want to become a pharmacist and that Pharm School will be a heck of a lot more difficult than undergrad.

If this is something you REALLY want, don't give up! Keep yourself well-rounded and prove to yourself that this is really what you want by staying in touch with pharm experience.