Low gpa, withdrawals, repeats, few F's with repeats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westie91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,I'm a 6 year undergraduate student. I was going for being a physical therapist but I decided my junior year that I realized I wanted to be a doctor. That said I've had a lot of family illnesses and it's been more emotionally draining these last 2 years because I've confronted it. That said I've tried to retake the three classes I need to retake and I've gotten F's in two after attempting to retake the 3 classes 3 times
Each maxing out on W's I can get. My goal is to do a postbacc but I feel like because of my recent academic history with retaking classes it is putting me at jeapordy for applying even for postbaccs. I want to do this career so bad. I have a 2.704 gpa cumulative and I want to show them I have what it takes. Because I don't have the ochem and biochem and genetics etc yet many of the postbacc programs won't accept me. I'm in a pickle because I have to do these classes and I've already extended graduation 3 times. I need to take care of myself first but I know I have it in me to do this career. I'm just lost right now about the right direction to go since I have dug myself into a hole. I just want the medical schools and postbac committees to see that yes I messed up but I have it in me to succeed. Has anyone done open university? It's the only way I can get ochem and biochem before postbacc unless you know of
Others to get classes after I graduate.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
7.04 gpa...you need to correct that.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are still getting F's in retakes you need to figure out what is going on. So first rule in getting yourself out of the hole is to stop digging.

Speak with your school's counseling office or find a private psychologist who can help with the learning or whatever issue!!!! ASAP! If you don't change things then you'll ruin your med school chances in the future. Sometimes it's helpful to set college aside for a few years and do something like the peacecorp, military, factory work, etc. then go back and be a great reinvention story.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are still getting F's in retakes you need to figure out what is going on. So first rule in getting yourself out of the hole is to stop digging.

Speak with your school's counseling office or find a private psychologist who can help with the learning or whatever issue!!!! ASAP! If you don't change things then you'll ruin your med school chances in the future. Sometimes it's helpful to set college aside for a few years and do something like the peacecorp, military, factory work, etc. then go back and be a great reinvention story.

Good luck

I am seeing a psychologist right now but also since I haven't graduated yet so I can retake these three classes, I'm taking 2-3 classes a semester this upcoming school year. I get what your saying in many ways I do need a break, but I feel like since I am so close I can only take that after I finish in Spring and get my degree. That said though. I still need ochem and bio chem for postbacc programs right? So how would I do that after I graduate? just apply for open U and take them then? But yea I need time to myself to just center again after the things that are happening in my life. I've been a victim of emotional and physical abuse and so fighting it and having the courage to fight it has taken more energy out of me then anything. For years i've been told I Wasn't worth of so much yet through these hurdles I haven't let it stop me keep going even though the hurdles. I just agree, I don't want to ruin my chances of getting into medical school either and I know I am close in a way to since I've withdrawn so much to

You can always enroll as a non degree seeking student or second bachelor's seeking to give you a more easy time with registration. When you get into med school you don't have to finish the second degree. All the best on getting things straight in ur life. Ive seen people come back from such experiences and do wonderful things.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
You can always enroll as a non degree seeking student or second bachelor's seeking to give you a more easy time with registration. When you get into med school you don't have to finish the second degree. All the best on getting things straight in ur life. Ive seen people come back from such experiences and do wonderful things.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thank you so much. Yea I am talking with my advisor tomorrow. I got one from the program that is attached to the AAMC for individuals who don't have pre med advisors at their university or need more advise. I decided on it because i got mixed information and was tired of getting information that was wrong. So he has helped me a lot. You have to. Thank you so much. It's true. If life was a walk in the park, we wouldn't truly be able to get to know who we are and what we are capable of. I've wanted to be a doctor for a long time and when I was told I couldn't because I had expectations I had to meet. A fire was lit in me to pursue the path of being a physician. No matter what it would take or how many falls I'd make. Good luck in your path to becoming a doctor to.

7.04 gpa...you need to correct that.
fixed ! Sorry my car got broken into this week and they stole all my medical items and my medication to that's prescription that I have for work and the dog got skunked...so I've been dealing with a lot just trying to get the right reports in for stolen items with police and with kaiser and work so I apologize. I don't usually make those mistakes! Thank you for correction :)

No, W's are not factor into your gpa.

They don't factor into your gpa but some MD schools take a very very dim view of W's, especially in core sciences. Most DO schools are ok with such but you don't want to come across as a W King either. I don't know of any school that has a specific cut off for W's. A W is better than a D or F.

Don't retake anything until you figure out why the F's. I have, I think, 30+ F's, W's, D's on my transcripts from 30 years ago (that's not a typo). Some of the W's were repeats of the F's and some of the F's were repeats of the D's (I think... who knows... I puke when I see my transcripts from back then).

Point is: figure out what is going on THEN take ONE class. Just one. Get an A so your confidence gets built up because seeing @#$ty grades again, is a sickening, pukey feeling. Don't do that to yourself. Set yourself up to succeed. And taking longer to do so, won't hurt you. It can only help.

They don't factor into your gpa but some MD schools take a very very dim view of W's, especially in core sciences. Most DO schools are ok with such but you don't want to come across as a W King either. I don't know of any school that has a specific cut off for W's. A W is better than a D or F.

thank you so much. No I agree. I know what I did wrong. I just need a breather. I love the material and in my previous science classes I took I know I can do well, just after what has happened my body needs to just take a break and come back when I've cleared my head to.

Don't retake anything until you figure out why the F's. I have, I think, 30+ F's, W's, D's on my transcripts from 30 years ago (that's not a typo). Some of the W's were repeats of the F's and some of the F's were repeats of the D's (I think... who knows... I puke when I see my transcripts from back then).

Point is: figure out what is going on THEN take ONE class. Just one. Get an A so your confidence gets built up because seeing @#$ty grades again, is a sickening, pukey feeling. Don't do that to yourself. Set yourself up to succeed. And taking longer to do so, won't hurt you. It can only help.

Yea that's what I want to do after I take a break from these classes. My parents won't be happy and I'll get some crap from them but I'm doing what's best for me so that's what matters! I want to do this so bad. But I know that in order to get there I have to take care of me first and I know that once I take the proper break I can go back and start slow but redeem myself again to0

My parents won't be happy and I'll get some crap from them
I feel you there. At 22, my son died at the age of 6 months (SIDS). Five days later, my mother was harping on me to get back to school, and saying if I didn't I was lazy and blahblahblahblahblahblabh.

What I can tell you is this: own your life, don't let anyone else do that for you. If you let others push before you are ready, it will not bode well right now. Easier said than done.

you go be you; you take care of you; then start up the journey again; 1 step at a time...

I feel you there. At 22, my son died at the age of 6 months (SIDS). Five days later, my mother was harping on me to get back to school, and saying if I didn't I was lazy and blahblahblahblahblahblabh.

What I can tell you is this: own your life, don't let anyone else do that for you. If you let others push before you are ready, it will not bode well right now. Easier said than done.

you go be you; you take care of you; then start up the journey again; 1 step at a time...

Thank you so much for this post. In many ways I am on this journey alone. I am working 3 jobs, and I know they say focus on school but because I have had abuse in my family I am trying to make a life for me and sick sister where we can be the people we have always wanted to be and be free. She is in good care now and I visit when I can, but this has been a dream of mine for such a long time and over and over again I got told being a doctor was stupid because they just take all our money. I don't see it that way at all. Physicians, good ones. If anything they give time, devotion and compassion to patients. Some even aid in helping them change their lifestyle. Others save their life after almost dying. Others just become good figures to look up to because they remind us solely of what it is to be human. What encompasses us as a human. What our make up is and why if we go away from really knowing our body how it can be a detriment for us.

I am so sorry for your losses. I've gone through a lot of death too. But I can tell as hard as it is, the people that you have lost have left something in you that is so special words can't even describe. They have given you strength in some conscious and sometimes more unconscious way that keeps you going for what you want no matter what. I've been told numerous times to hurry up. To do things for once that are realistic because they don't believe that it's worth it because they thought I had learned that I knew wha they had expected of me.

I agree. You have to take care of YOU. Go for what YOU want to.

If we followed the rules in some places and I don't mean like go against the law etc. I mean look at a situation and see if you color outside the lines just a little if it's more beneficial for your well being. If we were all the same we'd be bored with our lives. We are all different and with that comes the chance to be someone different. To go for what we set our mind too.

Last edited: