Low Masters GPA, Is a post-bacc worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njfl20

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Long story short, I ended up doing a masters in the middle of the pandemic without taking a break and i suffered from poor mental health and extreme burn out. I ended up with a poor GPA (below 3.0). My undergrad was also 3.0, and my DAT was a 17AA, but I am considering retaking it again soon.

I know this looks really bad since it's a masters, but do you think doing a post-bacc can help? I got C's/C+'s in Chem 2, Orgo 1, Physics 1 & 2, and calc 1 & 2 (i took calc 2 because i was trying to do a BS, but switched to a BA) in undergrad. If i retook those classes and other upper division classes, do you think this will help me out?

TIA.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Long story short, I ended up doing a masters in the middle of the pandemic without taking a break and i suffered from poor mental health and extreme burn out. I ended up with a poor GPA (below 3.0). My undergrad was also 3.0, and my DAT was a 17AA, but I am considering retaking it again soon.

I know this looks really bad since it's a masters, but do you think doing a post-bacc can help? I got C's/C+'s in Chem 2, Orgo 1, Physics 1 & 2, and calc 1 & 2 (i took calc 2 because i was trying to do a BS, but switched to a BA) in undergrad. If i retook those classes and other upper division classes, do you think this will help me out?

TIA.
No. I think it’s probably best if you move on from a career in dentistry. The Masters didn’t help you, and now admissions will be able to point to you not being able to handle post-level schoolwork.

I’m sorry I sound harsh, I’m not trying to be. This is just the best advice I can give — save your money and find a career that will be perfectly suited to you. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user