LOW MCAT - DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingLucas55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
removed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
When Mexico sends us KingLucas55, they're sending us their best and brightest, folks! They’re sending people that have acceptances, and they’re bringing those white coats with them! They’re bringing Anki. They’re bringing BRS. They’re dedicated. And some, I assume, are medical students!

Congrats!

Reactions: 21 users
When Mexico sends us KingLucas55, they're sending us their best and brightest, folks! They’re sending people that have acceptances, and they’re bringing those white coats with them! They’re bringing Anki. They’re bringing BRS. They’re dedicated. And some, I assume, are medical students!

Congrats!
OMFG

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats!
:rofl::lol:

By the way, congrats KingLucas55 on your acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Firstly, congrats OP. I love stories like this, as I think we all do.

Secondly, just a quick note, I know SDN gets a bad rap for being negative sometimes... But looking at it from the other side, most people with a 497 MCAT do not get accepted.. You have a very impressive commitment to community service and a good performance in a masters program to make up for your lower MCAT. In some cases the negativity on here may help people save a couple grand while they wait until the following cycle to improve their application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Congrats!
YOU WIN. THIS WAS INCREDIBLE. THANK YOU!

Hi,

This website is filled with negativity and "advice" telling pre-meds to just give up if they don't have above a 500 MCAT. Well, today I got accepted to a great DO school and guess what? I got a 497 on the MCAT. My LizzyM score is like a 58 or something. If I listened to any of the posts on here, I would have never applied and would have never had this amazing opportunity.

Ehh, advising people to retake the MCAT is just common sense. I dont see people telling them to "give up" unless you are looking > 3 attempts or combined with an extremely poor GPA.

This is not the sentiment on SDN. The negativity nor "advice" isn't what you frame it. This website has been amazing for me. Non-traditional who didn't need any advisors except for what information was provided for me.

Congrats though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Firstly, congrats OP. I love stories like this, as I think we all do.

Secondly, just a quick note, I know SDN gets a bad rap for being negative sometimes... But looking at it from the other side, most people with a 497 MCAT do not get accepted.. You have a very impressive commitment to community service and a good performance in a masters program to make up for your lower MCAT. In some cases the negativity on here may help people save a couple grand while they wait until the following cycle to improve their application.

Not to mention URM. This is a great story, but not one that your run of the mill 497 applicant should use as a template.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm gonna burn for this but here it goes: http://www.aei.org/publication/acce...irmative-discrimination-for-blacks-hispanics/

"Hispanic students with average GPAs and average MCAT scores were about twice as likely to be accepted to medical school compared to white applicants (64.1% vs. 33.2%)"

... go ahead and flame me for that. There was another study that showed that being an URM was worth 7 points on the old mcat, I'm just too lazy to find it.

Congratulations to you by the way, I'm not trying to undermine your success, you certainly have worked hard and deserve your achievement, but the vast majority of people here trying to get in will not succeed with anything under a 500. If you made less than a 500 and are reading this, please study harder and try again.

Stop being racist, delete this or I will report you. facts dont matter.

Reactions: 9 users
I'm gonna burn for this but here it goes: http://www.aei.org/publication/acce...irmative-discrimination-for-blacks-hispanics/

"Hispanic students with average GPAs and average MCAT scores were about twice as likely to be accepted to medical school compared to white applicants (64.1% vs. 33.2%)"

... go ahead and flame me for that. There was another study that showed that being an URM was worth 7 points on the old mcat, I'm just too lazy to find it.

Congratulations to you by the way, I'm not trying to undermine your success, you certainly have worked hard and deserve your achievement, but the vast majority of people here trying to get in will not succeed with anything under a 500. If you made less than a 500 and are reading this, please study harder and try again.
Oh wow, I NEVER intended for this to become a platform for people to speak this way.

Just to set the record straight, I am NOT URM. I am Dominican, which is not considered URM. Everyone on here loves to jump the gun and assume URM is the reason an underdog got in.

The fact of the matter is, this is my thread! and the message I wanted to promote was not this!!

IF YOU SCORED BELOW 500 and are not URM (like me! I'm not!) then THATS OKAY. YOU ARE MORE THAN ONE DAY OF TESTING. THIS WAS MY MESSAGE. NO NEGATIVITY PLS AND THANK U!

Reactions: 3 users

Each school decides if an applicant is URM or not.
Don't jump ahead and say that she had it easy because of her ethnicity(Hispanic).
That is just plain rude, dude.
Plus, I have many Hispanic friends who went to top 10 (IVY) and I feel they all deserved their spot.

I don't mean to pry but how is Dominican not considered an URM? Seems like a definitive example of an URM in medicine.

Congrats!

Literally love this guy. Posts on point, err'time.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't mean to pry but how is Dominican not considered an URM? Seems like a definitive example of an URM in medicine.

This might be antiquated but it was my understanding that URM encompasses African Americans, Mexican Americans, Native Americans, and mainland Puerto Ricans.

This might be antiquated but it was my understanding that URM encompasses African Americans, Mexican Americans, Native Americans, and mainland Puerto Ricans.
+1... Info that can be found just by googling.:caution:

Lel. Opie secondarily posts about negativity on SDN, negativity occurs as if on cue, and then people defend the negativity.

Lel. Love this place:love: