Low MCAT & High GPA - Application Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToM812

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in a difficult situation & would appreciate your advice. I recently got a 500 on my MCAT and do not know if I should submit my application or hold off. I have a strong application besides my mcat (3.80gpa, multiple international medical trips, 1+ yr of basic science research, numerous leadership roles & awards, etc.). I had a few questions in regards to my situation:

1) If I submit now, would I get "automatically" screened out of some schools because of my lower mcat score? If medical schools have a strict "cut off", is this based on the overall score or the score for each individual section?

2) If I submit now & select "expect future mcat scores in my application" in AAMC (see attached photo), will this be detrimental in any way to my application? A caveat to this is that I couldn't take the MCAT again until late August or early November (currently live overseas in a country that doesn't offer it). Seeing that this is the case, can medical schools still offer me an interview regardless of seeing my 2nd MCAT score (i.e., is my application still considered complete with 1 score entered & 1 pending)? Furthermore, would you suggest taking it again given my situation?

3) Should I hold off submitting until I (potentially) retake it?

------Thank you for your time & looking forward to hearing back!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 6.32.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 6.32.00 PM.png
    120.2 KB · Views: 157
Just retake it. Don’t apply with a 500 MCAT...

Reactions: 1 user
definitely wait - especially if you are applying MD. Really wait until you are 100% sure that you will improve and have a higher score the next time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely wait - especially if you are applying MD. Really wait until you are 100% sure that you will improve and have a higher score the next time around.
Even if this means not being able to take it again until late August or early September?

If you are African American, you have a shot at the HBCU's with a 500. If you are Puerto Rican, you can get into your IS schools.
If neither, do not take the MCAT again until you are confident of a score consistent with success. Multiple weak scores are far more damaging than one. Delay another year if need be.
No school is obligated to wait for a planned re-take before disposition of your application.

If you are African American, you have a shot at the HBCU's with a 500. If you are Puerto Rican, you can get into your IS schools.
If neither, do not take the MCAT again until you are confident of a score consistent with success. Multiple weak scores are far more damaging than one. Delay another year if need be.
No school is obligated to wait for a planned re-take before disposition of your application.
Thank you for your reply. I was born in the US & have a US degree (am doing humanitarian work overseas). From what you suggested, it sounds like I should not apply to MD schools until I have a better score, despite this meaning taking it in ~Sept.

Thank you for your reply. I was born in the US & have a US degree (am doing humanitarian work overseas). From what you suggested, it sounds like I should not apply to MD schools until I have a better score, despite this meaning taking it in ~Sept.
Apply when you are ready. Now that you have a 500, that means that you need to take all the time needed to more than overcome it. The AAMC advises us to average multiple scores. Schools give all kinds of descriptions regarding practices for multiple MCAT scores but the one thing we know for sure is that they are all visible and cannot be "unseen." If you were actually ready to take it in September (with a result in October), I would advise waiting until next cycle unless you are planning a DO application. Their season runs longer.

Reactions: 3 users
Another thing to keep in mind, if you take it in September, then you should definitely apply next year as September is too late for MD schools but fine for DO schools. I would retake it in January or something if I were you and definitely apply MD/DO NEXT year. Another thing that you should keep in mind is that your MCAT score is only valid for three years :)

Reactions: 2 users
Apply when you are ready. Now that you have a 500, that means that you need to take all the time needed to more than overcome it. The AAMC advises us to average multiple scores. Schools give all kinds of descriptions regarding practices for multiple MCAT scores but the one thing we know for sure is that they are all visible and cannot be "unseen." If you were actually ready to take it in September (with a result in October), I would advise waiting until next cycle unless you are planning a DO application. Their season runs longer.
Roger that, thank you again for the insights. I'm not sure if I'll be able to "more than overcome" the 500 by September seeing that I work full time right now. Thus, I unfortunately think it might be wise to take a longer time to study & apply next cycle; would you agree? If I took this route, I would have a total of 3 gap years (1yr basic science research, 1yr international med work, 1 yr ?). Do you think the added year would be negatively looked at in any way or hinder my app?

Reactions: 1 users
Another thing to keep in mind, if you take it in September, then you should definitely apply next year as September is too late for MD schools but fine for DO schools. I would retake it in January or something if I were you and definitely apply MD/DO NEXT year. Another thing that you should keep in mind is that your MCAT score is only valid for three years :)
Ya I think you might be right. Curious as to what your thoughts are in regards to my reply to gyngyn above too. (thank you in advance)

How will you have time to prepare for the MCAT anew if you're overseas doing humanitarian work?

How will you do better than a 500, which is a terrible score for MD programs, if you don't prepare smarter and harder prior to a retaking?

If you put those two things together, you should seriously consider waiting a year before reapplying.

Ya I think you might be right. Curious as to what your thoughts are in regards to my reply to gyngyn above too. (thank you in advance)

adding another year isn't gonna negatively affect your app. Make your app stronger and apply with the best possible app! You have a good GPA, just focus on conquering the MCAT!

Another well spent gap year will mean nothing to ADCOMS. Another bad MCAT might seal your MD fate for good.

Another well spent gap year will mean nothing to ADCOMS. Another bad MCAT might seal your MD fate for good.

lol that last bit was a little too dramatic... xP