Low PCAT High GPA issue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BH07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I just got my PCAT results but they are not very good

October 2010
Chemistry 69
Biology 45
Reading 11
Verbal 50
Math 67
Composite 45

August 2010
Chemistry 32
Biology 51
Reading 45
Verball 45
Math 75
Composite 45

I am applying to 8 schools that dont require the PCAT but my GPA isnt that impressive for those schools. Here are mt stats

cum GPA: 3.7
sci GPA: 3.65
pharmacy tech experience: 3 years
pharmacy volunteer experience: 500 hours
getting bachelor degree in Summer 2011
no grade less than a B
2 withdrawals none in pharmacy required courses

sorry to make this like a what are my chances post, but can anybody give any schools that put the PCAT as the least priority, i know the PCAT doesnt get you admitted but I dont want to apply to 20 schools only to get denied by all of them.

Should I just stick with the 8 schools that dont require the PCAT or should i gamble on some of the PCAT required schools.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm... looks like you'll do just fine with non-PCAT required schools your GPA is not bad at all it's above average and you have a good amount of volunteer experience along with tech. I don't think you should take a gable imo on PCAT required schools though your PCAT is really low.

Hmmm... looks like you'll do just fine with non-PCAT required schools your GPA is not bad at all it's above average and you have a good amount of volunteer experience along with tech. I don't think you should take a gable imo on PCAT required schools though your PCAT is really low.

Thanks JohnnyRomanes,

After getting my PCAT score i was upset and nervous that now I am only limited to like 8 schools to apply. My GPA is not that impressive since those type of schools also have high academic marks. Do you think I'll be a safe bet to get an interview at least half of the schools that dont require PCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get good letters of recommendation and write a good personal statement and supplemental you should get some interviews.

It's so much harder to improve your GPA than PCAT especially if you have taken too many hours like I have. Your PCAT scores definitely do not reflect what your GPA and sciences. Are you really putting effort into studying for the PCAT? I have similar scores to yours the first few times that I took it, but that was totally because I didn't study. PCAT is easy and easier to improve. I am the opposite; I have a 2.84 cGPA and a 2.7sGPA and rocked my October PCAT with a 90. I am looking to apply to pharmacy schools that hold a high value on the PCAT score and can look pass my first few years mistake in undergrad. Good luck with your apps! :D

Hmmm... wow did you study well for the PCAT?
Also Op, what colleges are you applying to?

I applied to 8 schools that required the PCAT and 4 schools that did not. So far, I have received 4 interviews and have been accepted to 1. My stats were way worse than what you have. I had a 2.87 GPA, with a PCAT composite of 47. I had 500 hours of Pharmacy volunteer work, with research experience and some extra-curricular activities. BELIEVE ME!!! IT IS POSSIBLE TO GET IN!

I applied to 8 schools that required the PCAT and 4 schools that did not. So far, I have received 4 interviews and have been accepted to 1. My stats were way worse than what you have. I had a 2.87 GPA, with a PCAT composite of 47. I had 500 hours of Pharmacy volunteer work, with research experience and some extra-curricular activities. BELIEVE ME!!! IT IS POSSIBLE TO GET IN!

Can I ask what school accepted you. I have 3.6 in science GPA and 3.5 in composite, my PCAT is 52. I also have 3 years of pharmacy experiences. The PCAT is killing me. Thanks

What school is this?

screw chem...WTF reading score of 11...I was pretty sure you got 20 for just scrolling down the screen.

Seriously though most schools will not look at you if you have parts below 25...which is quite generous.

Also to Recoverer...smart phones help out a lot of peeps. Pisses me off so much when I see someone bust one out and the prof just seems clueless as hell. Not much you can do, as the prof has to SEE them do it, not just hear peeps say they saw em do it.

FWIW, I just graduated pharmacy school this past may. I had a 70 and the PCAT and my pharmCAS GPA was a 2.98. I had 5 interviews and got into 3 schooles (2 unaccredited, 1 accredited). I chose the accredited school. My roommate throughout school had a 55 on the PCAT and around a 3.3 GPA.

I wouldn't worry about it, I was in a similar boat. The thing is (if I recal correctyl) that even if you did retake the PCAT, if any of your sections (or maybe it's a sum of the percentiles) goes up by 50 and those two PCATs were taken less than 12 months apart...you get FLAGGED. Actually, I think they might automatically discredit your score and it stays that way unless you appeal it. I'll look it up and get back to you. But yeah, I used to have test anxiety especially during the reading sections, and I didn't study much at all (about 1 week) and I ended up getting in the 20s on the reading. My composite wasn't quite as low, because I did decent in the sciences and math (91 in chem was my highest). But I also took about 160 credit hours, none of which resulted in even as low as a B-. Graduated with ~3.7 overall, ~3.85 science. Applied to the 6 closest schools (have a kid, can't be going to far), got interviews everywhere. Generally speaking an interview means you're grades and scores meet their goal, and they would like to see if you're normal.

Hi guys, I applied to 4 pharmacy schools and I am waiting to hear back from them. I have a good GPA but very bad PCAT, do I have a chance?
Chem 72%
Math 72%
Bio 63%
Verbal 30% (eng 2nd language)
Reading 3% (ik so bad)
Writing 3/6
Composite 38% (fml o_o)

My overall GPA is 3.95
My science and math GPA is 4.0

I am a certified pharm tech & I worked in retail pharmacy for a year. I also had internship in a retail pharmacy. I worked 2 years in a science lab doing microbiology stuff. I did many volunteer work. I don't have bachelor degree but I have an associate of science from a community college.

My reading and verbal abilities on the pcat are so bad because English is my second language :/ , now I'm so sad :,(

Last edited:
Hi guys, I applied to 4 pharmacy schools and I am waiting to hear back from them. I have a good GPA but very bad PCAT, do I have a chance?
Chem 72%
Math 72%
Bio 63%
Verbal 30% (eng 2nd language)
Reading 3% (ik so bad)
Writing 3/6
Composite 38% (fml o_o)

My overall GPA is 3.95
My science and math GPA is 4.0

I am a certified pharm tech & I worked in retail pharmacy for a year. I also had internship in a retail pharmacy. I worked 2 years in a science lab doing microbiology stuff. I did many volunteer work. I don't have bachelor degree but I have an associate of science from a community college.

My reading and verbal abilities on the pcat are so bad because English is my second language :/ , now I'm so sad :,(

Your GPA is really good. I wouldn't worry about the PCAT so much with your GPA and experience. I've gotten interviews to all the schools I applied to with a 43 PCAT score and my GPA is not that good. And I've been accepted to one so far. You should still get interviews! Have some confidence!

Your GPA is really good. I wouldn't worry about the PCAT so much with your GPA and experience. I've gotten interviews to all the schools I applied to with a 43 PCAT score and my GPA is not that good. And I've been accepted to one so far. You should still get interviews! Have some confidence!