Low Science GPA... Advice Please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarryOn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a SUNY Stony Brook junior with a psychology major going into the second semester in spring, and I'm overly worried about my low ~2.7 science GPA.
About 3 of my core science classes ended up in the C-range, and then I'm generally in the B-range in science. If I didn't think I needed to retake some courses or boost my GPA, I could graduate a semester early, but I think that's a terrible idea right now. I'm also not sure exactly which direction I'm headed, but OT and PT are most appealing to me right now.

My overall GPA is around 3.3. I'm not worried about the GRE and hours right now because I know what I'll have to do for them for the most part.

Is it worth taking those classes over? Or should I just take other courses to try improving my science GPA? Will programs even consider the "upward" improvement if I can do better in the classes I retake? Do I even have a chance at a DPT program anymore?
Any advice would be much appreciated. ):

Bonus question: I'm volunteering in a private PT clinic, so those will count as hours, but not clinical hours required, correct? (Sorry for the stupid question!)

Members don't see this ad.

prereqs Are the most important, and A LOT of schools require a c or higher, a C- is unfortunately lower. I would definitely retake them.

And the hours will count as out patient just not inpatient or acute.

Definetely retake. Some schools won't even take you if your science gpa is under a 3.0. :(
You should probably use that extra semester to retake like 2 pre reqs & you would still be able to graduate on time! :) best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with both responders. Definitely consider retaking. I retook a few of my prerequisites to bolster my science gpa after not being accepted to any programs last cycle. Since every school calculates you gpas differently, it may be important to take enough classes to make sure your PTCAS science gpa is calculated as above a 3.0. I think I'm not getting interviews from some schools while getting interviews and acceptances from other schools for this reason. I think if you have any doubts do anything to strengthen your app.

Take an extra year to retake any pre-reqs that are less than a B. If you have B's in AP, then retake those and get an A. Don't worry too much about your overall GPA if it's around 3.0. Your pre-req GPA is much more important.

Kevin