Low sodium liquid antacid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brixius

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have done some searching for a liquid antacid that contains the lowest possible sodium content ... just for information for future use. Obviously, Pepto-Bismol has a high content of sodium in its recommended dose (2 tbsp, 12.0 mg Na/dose). A low dose of Maalox would contain 5.68 mg/dose or a low dose of Mylanta would be 4 mg/dose ... any other suggestions out there?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I have done some searching for a liquid antacid that contains the lowest possible sodium content ... just for information for future use. Obviously, Pepto-Bismol has a high content of sodium in its recommended dose (2 tbsp, 12.0 mg Na/dose). A low dose of Maalox would contain 5.68 mg/dose or a low dose of Mylanta would be 4 mg/dose ... any other suggestions out there?

Thanks

That must be one seriously salt-cautious patient to want low-sodium antacids...

Why don't you (I mean your patient) worry about the salt content of your diet - you will get a lot more bang for your buck by preparing your own food (etc.)

That must be one seriously salt-cautious patient to want low-sodium antacids...

Why don't you (I mean your patient) worry about the salt content of your diet - you will get a lot more bang for your buck by preparing your own food (etc.)

Heh, it's not for me. :)

I hear you on the diet content and there really isn't a WHOLE lot of sodium in liquid antacids, but if you take it semi-frequently it might be a little better to try something a little lower in sodium if possible.

Really though, I agree it's not a huge deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heh, it's not for me. :)

I hear you on the diet content and there really isn't a WHOLE lot of sodium in liquid antacids, but if you take it semi-frequently it might be a little better to try something a little lower in sodium if possible.

Really though, I agree it's not a huge deal.

The salt in antacids wont make a dent in anything. There are a lot more that goes into sodium calculation than just sodium intake (osmolarity including volumes, extracellular vs intraceulluar intake, etc).

Just to give you an idea, the doses given will probably make 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent difference.

i dont think its clinically significant? i dont know

and pepto bismol? :eek: i NEVER recommend that to anyone, darkens the stools, forcing the md to think GI bleed and go scoping

Here in UK most popular prescribed antacid is Gaviscon Advance which is a formulation of sodium alginate and potassium bicarbonate.
johnep