Low step 1 score but really good step 2 score..advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

grapefruit17

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Giving the impression of improvement with time is always a good thing. That Step 2 will make a LOT of programs ignore the Step 1--but you may need to contact specific programs if you're interested in them and don't hear from them, as they may filter you out for low-ish Step 1. (Though I'm thinking that 480 isn't that awful for COMLEX...)

I would think your COMLEX step 2 would substantially mitigate your step 1 scores. Neither are terribly bad by the way. I suspect the you would get interview requests and some programs might even ask you why you had such a jump in your score.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have low Step 1 scores but not horrible. Second round will make you okay. You should be fine in securing a spot.

But as mentioned above, it is always good to call programs and ask them your status. It doubled my interviews and one is the place I matched at.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much everyone for your replies! I will share my experience post interview season

But as mentioned above, it is always good to call programs and ask them your status. It doubled my interviews and one is the place I matched at.

@J ROD, may I ask how to make this call tactfully? Was it as simple as, "I was just curious what my status is"? or is it only appropriate to call if you have details to add (like a Step 3 score, new publications, or a regional connection etc.)? I don't want to waste a beleaguered programme coordinator's time...

Last edited:
@J ROD, may I ask how to make this call tactfully? Was it as simple as, "I was just curious what my status is"? or is it only appropriate to call if you have details to add (like a Step 3 score, new publications, or a regional connection etc.)? I don't want to waste a beleaguered programme coordinator's time...
Reiterate your strong interest in the program, briefly review specific reasons in your CV that you are excited about specific aspects of the program, etc.

I had better luck last cycle with email to the PC and PD. Keep it succinct because nobody wants to read your novel. I had a 100% yield of interview invites following emails. Bear in mind, though, if you do this and get invited but do not go on the interview, you may be a terrible person.

I think if your numbers, etc are above average then an email is probably good enough like he mentioned. My stats were average at best. But, I know I can talk! So, I simply called programs and asked them what the status of application was. They would usually ask for my AAMC ID# and during that time I would try and use my humor, etc to get them to see me as a person and not an app. I know it got me interviews I would not have gotten. Getting through the PC is the first step.

However, if you know you can't sell yourself or have that humor that folks gravitate too. Then, it may be safer to use email. Worst thing you can do is call and be nervous.

It is very person specific.

And, if you ask for an interview, then go to the interview. I had one I asked for a month earlier and finally got but at that point I had 3 others I was more interested in and did not want to go. But, I went anyway. It is the right and professional thing to do. If you ask for it, then you better be willing to accept it.

But, I cannot tell you the skill on the phone. It is something you just have. Even one of my buddies watched me call a program and asked me how do you do it. I could not teach him. He called all his programs and only got 1 more interview. We had similar stats. In fact, his was better than mine. I talked myself into 6 more interviews and the initial rush.

Also, I got my first 5 interviews all before 10/ 1 when the Dean's letter came out. My school was like you will not get any before the letter. So, do not listen to that. I started calling programs second week in November.

Reiterate your strong interest in the program, briefly review specific reasons in your CV that you are excited about specific aspects of the program, etc.

I had better luck last cycle with email to the PC and PD. Keep it succinct because nobody wants to read your novel. I had a 100% yield of interview invites following emails. Bear in mind, though, if you do this and get invited but do not go on the interview, you may be a terrible person.

I think if your numbers, etc are above average then an email is probably good enough like he mentioned. My stats were average at best. But, I know I can talk! So, I simply called programs and asked them what the status of application was. They would usually ask for my AAMC ID# and during that time I would try and use my humor, etc to get them to see me as a person and not an app. I know it got me interviews I would not have gotten. Getting through the PC is the first step.

However, if you know you can't sell yourself or have that humor that folks gravitate too. Then, it may be safer to use email. Worst thing you can do is call and be nervous.

It is very person specific.

And, if you ask for an interview, then go to the interview. I had one I asked for a month earlier and finally got but at that point I had 3 others I was more interested in and did not want to go. But, I went anyway. It is the right and professional thing to do. If you ask for it, then you better be willing to accept it.

But, I cannot tell you the skill on the phone. It is something you just have. Even one of my buddies watched me call a program and asked me how do you do it. I could not teach him. He called all his programs and only got 1 more interview. We had similar stats. In fact, his was better than mine. I talked myself into 6 more interviews and the initial rush.

Also, I got my first 5 interviews all before 10/ 1 when the Dean's letter came out. My school was like you will not get any before the letter. So, do not listen to that. I started calling programs second week in November.

Very helpful. Thank you both.

Last edited:
J ROD, I think you are wasting your time in medicine. You need to sell penny stock by phone with skills like that. You'll be retired by age 42.

J ROD, I think you are wasting your time in medicine. You need to sell penny stock by phone with skills like that. You'll be retired by age 42.
PM me and let me tell you about this amazing deal I have on a bridge!! It was even freshly paved and engineered approved through 2020! I already have several offers so get back with me soon so you do not miss out on this phenomenal opportunity. I look forward from hearing from you soon! lol

PM me and let me tell you about this amazing deal I have on a bridge!! It was even freshly paved and engineered approved through 2020! I already have several offers so get back with me soon so you do not miss out on this phenomenal opportunity. I look forward from hearing from you soon! lol

What? No sham wow or slap chop?

Sorry to make a new thread for this but my case is a little interesting and I know a lot of DOs have matched psych on here so maybe you guys can share some insight? Any who..

COMLEX step 1--> 480 (not sure what the average is but heard average was around 510 for my year?)
COMLEX step 2--> 630 (i think around 80th percentile?)

USMLE step 1--> 212

Regular ECs nothing exceptional, healthy mix of pass/honors/high pass on clinicals. No major red lags.

Also I'm bottom half of my class but only because i started out in the bottom during med school. Every semester in medical school i consecutively increased my gpa until i started making in the 90s for my classes, from getting low 70s.

Will my comlex step 2 score help overlook my step 1 scores some and do I have a decent shot at the acgme match? Im not that picky where I go.

Thanks!

Also any suggestions on places i should apply?
Have you considered taking USMLE step 2. I have to imagine you'd do well with the 630. This would probably help the programs that aren't as familiar with the COMLEX to see how much you've improved.

Also this will probably help mitigate regrets if you don't end up matching your #1. Knowing you've done what you can

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

Have you considered taking USMLE step 2. I have to imagine you'd do well with the 630. This would probably help the programs that aren't as familiar with the COMLEX to see how much you've improved.

Also this will probably help mitigate regrets if you don't end up matching your #1. Knowing you've done what you can

This x 10. A little time and some money, but relative to travel costs, not that much.

And CS (or PE for DO's?). Anecdotally, having all your scores back early seems to be advantageous for securing interviews: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2016-2017-what-are-my-chances-thread.1187667/page-4