Loyola vs USF (Core) vs Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triple_conundrum

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for help y'all - creating a new account for anonymity's sake.

I currently live in NYC but have super strong ties to FL. I place weight in the quality of a school's clinical education because I want to be well prepared entering residency, but location, my SO's happiness and pre-clinical are also important factors. I'm currently interested in Ortho, Cards, Neuro and have an interest in Rads, EM and Anesthesiology.

FWIW - I interviewed at Einstein, but don't anticipate getting their decision until April.

USF (Core) vs Loyola vs SUNY Downstate
USF
Pro's
  • Good clinical opportunities in a variety of settings: TGH is Level 1, Moffitt, VA
  • I prefer their systems based, integrated curriculum
  • Use a lot of NBME tests (or so I'm told) and make Step 1 a big focus of preclinical tests
  • Great weather, access to beaches, nearer to my parents (a manageable 4hr drive)
  • New campus opening downtown
  • Area has a lower COL, and I will qualify for in-state tuition starting in year 2
Con's
  • Student's didn't seem outwardly excited about USF during my interview day, nor did they -seem very cohesive
  • Facilities during pre-clinical years will be very distance (CAMLS downtown, Campus -uptown)
  • Facilities of the school are a bit older and the new campus won't be open until end of M2, potentially M3
  • Not a preferred region for residency
  • Limited job market for SO
  • Area will be a drastic change from where I currently live (NYC)
  • (this is the least of my concerns) My interview cohort seemed very dry and banal
Neutral
  • H/HP/P/F Grading : I'm not very concerned about grading styles and how they contribute/don't to stress. I see value in both this method and the P/F style.
Loyola
Pro's
  • Instill a great set of values in their physicians
  • Facilities are fantastic, AMAZING gym
  • Student's stress level seems very low
  • I'm coming from NYC, so Chicago would be a great change without sacrificing the luxuries of a big city
  • Good opportunities for my SO, and she is from the area - so has a lot of connection/support
  • Loyola has some great residency programs and I like the area for residencies
  • Really enjoyed my interview group
Con's
  • Very high tuition
  • I'm leery of the diversity of clinical experiences as all, except rotations at the VA, will be within the Loyola Medicine system (from what I understand)
  • Preclinical curriculum is the traditional double pass style, which I do not prefer
  • Not highly ranked
  • I'm unsure of how much they integrate Step1 prep into courses - ie. if they utilize old NBME tests
Neutral
  • I've heard they're moving to P/F
Downstate
Pro's
  • Known for its very strong clinical training
  • Extremely diverse patient population
  • 1.5 year preclinical curriculum that is integrated/systems based
  • IS Tuition throughout
  • SO has best job opportunities here
  • NYC has extremely strong residency programs, and I will have an opportunity to network and build connections locally if I decide to stay for residency (which is not ideally, but a good program is a good program)
Con's
  • Requires continuing to live in NYC - very high COL and I have strong a desire to try somewhere new
  • Old facilities
  • Did not get a great impression of the faculty and their engagement with the student body and investment in their success
Neutral
  • P/F

Members don't see this ad.

Tough call. First order would be if you are OK being away from family (if not, USF it is!). Otherwise, city+SO concerns point to either of the other two. FWIW, Downstate uses step 1 questions I believe, so that's neutralized. Cost leads me to Downstate, but your overall vibe and seeming unwillingness to remain in NYC lead me to Loyola. So, depending on the cost difference, I'm left at Loyola. Best of luck choosing!

For what its worth, I'm hoping to get into USF's select program. I loved all the students I met there and thought the faculty and facilities were fantastic and my interview group was hilarious and wholesome.

The WELL is a huge plus, and the classes are super close-knit I hear. If I were you, I'd pick USF!

Members don't see this ad :)
In the process of choosing between Emory, Einstein, & Vermont and am from NY.

For what it's worth I'd add more weight to the P/F opportunities; they really change the vibe of a medical school class from what I've heard. Big big fan of downstate personally because of the connections they have to diverse populations in NY. Don't know how much the tuition difference is between schools but that would also sway me. IMO if you're trying to end up in NY bc of SO and job prospects (for the both of you), I'd stick with Downstate

Remember that Loyola's med campus isn’t exactly downtown. Maywood is fine but it’s not "big city living".

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I live in the Tampa area and driving from the USF campus to downtown in the afternoon can take more than an hour. While they provide a shuttle, you’ll have to drive/shuttle back to campus (if you want to live close to campus) (that’s now 2 hours spent on the road) or you’ll have to drive yourself to the new site if you choose to live in South Tampa (which I would actually recommend based on the traffic patterns) (but factor in 45 minutes to school in the morning). There are a few other things that I did not like about the USF program, feel free to PM if you want details. If you are not used to driving every day, it’s going to be a huge adjustment - plan to spend a lot of time in your car.

OTOH, Tampa has a lot of industry. So there might be some options for your SO, depending on the nature of his/her job.

I live in the Tampa area and driving from the USF campus to downtown in the afternoon can take more than an hour. While they provide a shuttle, you’ll have to drive/shuttle back to campus (if you want to live close to campus) (that’s now 2 hours spent on the road) or you’ll have to drive yourself to the new site if you choose to live in South Tampa (which I would actually recommend based on the traffic patterns) (but factor in 45 minutes to school in the morning). There are a few other things that I did not like about the USF program, feel free to PM if you want details. If you are not used to driving every day, it’s going to be a huge adjustment - plan to spend a lot of time in your car.

OTOH, Tampa has a lot of industry. So there might be some options for your SO, depending on the nature of his/her job.

Hi there! I’m biased and grew up in Tampa but I’ve been amazed with the growth in the last few years especially in terms of fun things to do. The area is booming, especially surrounding the new medical school downtown. My parents still live downtown Tampa and I absolutely love coming to visit mainly because of the food, hockey games, and quick drive to St Pete. Channelside is an increasingly awesome place and south Tampa/riverwalk/Hyde park/etc are already established hot spots. Also regarding the students, I interviewed there this cycle and I found them to be incredibly enthusiastic and cohesive, despite the seemingly even split between people living in northern Tampa near the USF main campus (cheap!) and downtown/South Tampa (definitely live here). Though I feel like more people will decide to live downtown in the coming year going forward. I will not be attending USF but I have mostly positive things to say about the place but again I grew up seeing USF pediatricians and going to TGH, etc. I have no experience with Loyola or Downstate. If you have any questions about Tampa or the surrounding areas please PM me! Good luck!

In the process of choosing between Emory, Einstein, & Vermont and am from NY.

For what it's worth I'd add more weight to the P/F opportunities; they really change the vibe of a medical school class from what I've heard. Big big fan of downstate personally because of the connections they have to diverse populations in NY. Don't know how much the tuition difference is between schools but that would also sway me. IMO if you're trying to end up in NY bc of SO and job prospects (for the both of you), I'd stick with Downstate
That would be an easy decision for me. Emory!! Higher ranked, better research, true P/F, 1.5 years curriculum, Top 20, smaller class size. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks all for the responses!

I think at this point I'm between USF and Loyola. USF has the curricular advantage, but Loyola has the intangible "atmosphere" advantage.

I have also seen that Loyola has a much higher Residency Directory score than USF: 3.3 vs 2.8. Is there value in this metric? Is it reflective of better clinical experiences/preparedness entering residency?

Was wondering if @libertyyne cared to share their opinion?

USF is a better school in terms of research opportunities as it has more funding.

I would look at the ortho home programs of all three institutions and look to see who is more well known in the ortho world, who puts out more research etc. I have a suspicion USF will come out ahead on this question.

This is a difficult decision , It seems like loyola might be the best option when it comes to S/O and USF might be the best option when it comes to career opportunities. This is the first time i have read about residency director score, Rest assured PDs are not looking at this and giving prefernce based on it.

USF is a better school in terms of research opportunities as it has more funding.

I would look at the ortho home programs of all three institutions and look to see who is more well known in the ortho world, who puts out more research etc. I have a suspicion USF will come out ahead on this question.

This is a difficult decision , It seems like loyola might be the best option when it comes to S/O and USF might be the best option when it comes to career opportunities. This is the first time i have read about residency director score, Rest assured PDs are not looking at this and giving prefernce based on it.

Good point - I've seen USF make some serious gains in funding - almost at $100M. That would sway me OP!

..And weather.