LSU (baton rouge)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srk2fd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all -

I have an interview here and am considering cancelling....after reading scutwork i have a pretty negative outlook on this program, anyone do a rotation or know some inside scoop on whether this place is any good or not?

Members don't see this ad.

USCDiver said:
"we don't have to take call on IM rotations."

omg-- how can that *ever* be a bad thing? IM call is not educational-- it's gomer-sitting. <insert ridiculus page from nurse IM gomer story here>

USCDiver said:
"I think part of learning internal medicine is taking call. The rest of the work is just scut and dispo work.

what do you mean "the rest" :confused: :D

someday i'm going to get 20 internists and 20 ED docs together and have a royal rumble cage match.

come to think of it, it'd be more fair with 40 internists and 20 ED docs. . . .

--your friendly neighborhood appreciates a good ED team caveman

I agree with USCDiver - you haven't learned imedicine until you have taken IM call. Anyone can scut and pound boxes all day, and anyone can spend hours looking at mag and phos to tweak electrolyte levels. If you really want to make a decision (like we should be doing in EM), take a few nights of house call in IM. Running codes is one thing, but learning how to prioiritize them is another beast entirely.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a second year resident at Baton Rouge and honestly couldn't be happier.
Dude, you're either 1) not really a medical resident, or 2) at least grossly exaggerating. As much as I enjoyed my medical training at times, I could have been MUCH happier doing a lot of things (like lying on a Mediterranean beach) other than taking medicine call. :)

Sessamoid said:
Dude, you're either 1) not really a medical resident, or 2) at least grossly exaggerating. As much as I enjoyed my medical training at times, I could have been MUCH happier doing a lot of things (like lying on a Mediterranean beach) other than taking medicine call. :)
He's truly a resident.

Now for his sanity, well we'll leave that one between him and his psychiatrist. ;) Just kidding.

My program doesn't take medicine call. Interns are assigned to a hospitalist service where they admit only during the day. Of course this is new, and as my luck would have it, I was the last intern in my class to take overnight call. Why couldn't they have changed this before I did my ward medicine month?

Sessamoid said:

heh, true.

Perhaps I should have stated that as far as my residency training goes I couldn't be happier.

Have to agree with you on the Mediterranean beach.

Regarding my psychiatrist...Those conversations are strictly private. :D