LSU Baton Rouge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medigull

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there know the state of this program? Im a third year and heard rumors they werent taking a class this year. Is this temporary during the transition to OLOL?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there this year and they recently sent an email updating on the status of the program. It said nothing about not taking a class this year. FWIW, I loved the program and the residents/faculty were awesome.

The standard SDN poster is 250+ on steps and will overlook the gem that is LSU Baton Rouge. I did most of my 3rd year in Baton Rouge. Great program, great people, great pathology.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also heard rumors about them not accepting a class this year.

I haven't heard any rumors of them not taking a class, but it wouldn't surprise me. It was reported a while back that the ACGME was "scrutinizing" the LSU programs in the wake of their rush to privatize and close facilities. Plus, the program is going to lose some attendings because of issues with the OLOL physicians group. They're going to have to do something quick since they accelerated the timeline and EKL is closing at the end of April.

There may be some growing pains, sure, but they're taking a class this year. They've already moved education to OLOL in preparation for the full move and awaiting completion of the new education building. The Earl, while awesome, was one of 5 hospitals at which the residents rotate.

Remember that overall, residents make money for a hospital, even if the hospital takes more residents than Medicare funding streams. We're a hard-working, well educated, CHEAP workforce. It would really hurt a hospital to lose a year of residents.

I'm a 3rd year in the program. Yes we are taking a class, and, in cajun fashon, we are celebrating with a crawfish boil and beer on match day when the class is announced. It'll be a sad day, but Earl K. Long is closing in April. The home-base of the program is transitioning to Our Lady of the Lake and shouldn't be a problem. We also have Baton Rouge General Hospitals that are willing to take on more residents to help with the transition.

Any trurth to the rumors of funding problems and an impending shutdown?