Army LTC Promotion List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homunculus

SDN Caveman Administrator
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ouch. total medical corps primary zone select rate of 63%. will be interesting to see what the discriminators were-- i have a hard time believing that 37% of the candidates lacked CCC and deployment or operational tours. will likely be the new emphasis on "progression" they've made such a big deal about.

-- your friendly neighborhood now O4 promotable caveman

Members don't see this ad.

Wow -- that's horrid. Especially for a generation of "physicians" that got pummeled by a high operations tempo. I guess they are making it clear that they want folks to get out. I'm thankful that I got my promotion through the guard where they can cheat the system a little bit (Homunc -- you can call me Sir for another few months: kidding).

LTC Ed

ouch. total medical corps primary zone select rate of 63%. will be interesting to see what the discriminators were-- i have a hard time believing that 37% of the candidates lacked CCC and deployment or operational tours. will likely be the new emphasis on "progression" they've made such a big deal about.

-- your friendly neighborhood now O4 promotable caveman

I guess when you have non medical folks make decision to select O-5 AND army does not need too many O-5 MC officers...I think they promoted most of dentists...That's important...

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess when we are staring at a 40k AD troop cut, it's not all that surprising. As long as the Performance Triad is funded...

And in other news, as if I needed more ammo to carry through with my sig, my Company has decided to task us out to clean up highways on the weekends, and to institute 6 mile ruck marches Qweek @ 0400

My hospital is crawling with nurse practitioners and PAs. Seems like there are hardly any doctors around. Half the dentists are O-6s. All the good docs I know have left or are giddily on their way out. I guess the writing is on the wall.

I guess when we are staring at a 40k AD troop cut, it's not all that surprising. As long as the Performance Triad is funded...

And in other news, as if I needed more ammo to carry through with my sig, my Company has decided to task us out to clean up highways on the weekends, and to institute 6 mile ruck marches Qweek @ 0400
Once upon a time the Nurse Admiral CO of Bethesda closed the clinics for an afternoon so everyone could pick up trash and beautify the hospital campus, but weekend highway duty sounds about three orders of magnitude worse. I think I'd be SIQ for that.

(This is just one more tick in the Army-is-a-lot-more-f'd-up-than-the-Navy box. Every time I think the Navy has gone nuts over something I think, well, the Army is probably worse.)

'Grats to all who were selected. I personally know a couple individuals on the list and they were absolutely deserving.

I don't (think I personally) know the caveman, but 'grats to him as well.

(This is just one more tick in the Army-is-a-lot-more-f'd-up-than-the-Navy box. Every time I think the Navy has gone nuts over something I think, well, the Army is probably worse.)

You can't even imagine.

Here's another wonderful army gem - the hooah people decided to fill my command with O-5s only. Most things in the army require O-6 signature for action. What to do...what to do...

Reactions: 1 users
'Grats to all who were selected. I personally know a couple individuals on the list and they were absolutely deserving.

I don't (think I personally) know the caveman, but 'grats to him as well.
Real issue is the names I did not see...

Does O4 promotable mean you were selected caveman? (Army terminology confuses me)
Yes. Also what is strange is that you also need to introduce yourself as Major Promote XXX to others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stupid question...how do you find out whether or not you make O-4 promotion in Navy?

Reactions: 1 user
You used to get frocked as soon as the message came out.

Does O4 promotable mean you were selected caveman? (Army terminology confuses me)

yes. hopefully this may help assuage some of the paranoia we are being monitored on SDN. i know some folks IRL from the board and they seem none the worse for wear.

Yes. Also what is strange is that you also need to introduce yourself as Major Promote XXX to others.

never heard of anyone doing this. i won't even use it in my signature block unless i'm dealing with someone it matters to. one of my line PAs was really into all this stuff and said you shouldn't put Rank(P) unless you are actually filling a billet that is slotted for that higher rank. i.e., you are a MAJ in a LTC position, then you can use MAJ(P). otherwise you just look kinda pompous. as a joke i may start calling myself "MAJ promotable Caveman" around the office and see how things go, lol.

-- your friendly neighborhood as an O5 do the skies open and everything become clear? caveman

Congrats Shipmate. The next couple years are all about you. You can't do anything to make yourself competitive for o6, so bail on anything you don't enjoy.

Got your new hat, cover, or what ever the Army calls them yet? Congratulations.

never heard of anyone doing this. i won't even use it in my signature block unless i'm dealing with someone it matters to. one of my line PAs was really into all this stuff and said you shouldn't put Rank(P) unless you are actually filling a billet that is slotted for that higher rank. i.e., you are a MAJ in a LTC position, then you can use MAJ(P). otherwise you just look kinda pompous. as a joke i may start calling myself "MAJ promotable Caveman" around the office and see how things go, lol.

Hahah. ^^^ this. Not to pick on our Navy brothers and sisters, but I think the Navy takes the cake on getting all hot and bothered about rank. All that stuff about custom and tradition. Worked with a doc downrange who would insist on being referred to as "Commander Select." "This is Commander Select Douchebag, how may I help you?" I had a hard time not LOL'ing every time I had to call him for something. Nice enough guy, just don't think he knew how ridiculous that came accross in announcing your promotable badassery to the world.

Air Force may take second place - true story bro, a couple senior leaders raked some well-meaning junior enlisted over the coals because ranks on their nameplates were not written in upper/lower case (a big deal in Air Force world). Army is all "MAJ" and "CPT," USAF likes "Major" and "Captain." These were flag officers and attention to detail was important, but it was hard to stomach nonetheless (seeing as how the leaders were visiting and didn't have to put up with the same IDF the enlisted were receiving on a daily basis). Plus you have to be a General in the Air Force before anyone will take you seriously. Or a fighter pilot. Damn those warthogs are sexy. BRRRRRRP!

Hahah. ^^^ this. Not to pick on our Navy brothers and sisters, but I think the Navy takes the cake on getting all hot and bothered about rank. All that stuff about custom and tradition. Worked with a doc downrange who would insist on being referred to as "Commander Select." "This is Commander Select Douchebag, how may I help you?" I had a hard time not LOL'ing every time I had to call him for something. Nice enough guy, just don't think he knew how ridiculous that came accross in announcing your promotable badassery to the world.

Air Force may take second place - true story bro, a couple senior leaders raked some well-meaning junior enlisted over the coals because ranks on their nameplates were not written in upper/lower case (a big deal in Air Force world). Army is all "MAJ" and "CPT," USAF likes "Major" and "Captain." These were flag officers and attention to detail was important, but it was hard to stomach nonetheless (seeing as how the leaders were visiting and didn't have to put up with the same IDF the enlisted were receiving on a daily basis). Plus you have to be a General in the Air Force before anyone will take you seriously. Or a fighter pilot. Damn those warthogs are sexy. BRRRRRRP!

Lol. The Navy gets hot and heavy over promotion because it almost never happens!!!

So, from @Shikima's link, I went to the Army Times. I saw a story on the sidebar about BG selectees, and two names rang a bell, and they are who I thought they were! I graduated VMI '92, and one guy each from the class of '89 and '90 just got selected for their first star!

Yeah, I know, "whatever", but these are the first of my peers to get flag rank. I don't know if this is good, or me just getting old!

I wonder how one is selected to be groomed for a star?!

It's a fairly self selected process initially in the medical world. Want to head for a star then executive medicine is your route. Don't want to go for a star then don't declare for executive medicine.

I wonder how one is selected to be groomed for a star?!

You have to create enough policies that kill ideas and aspirations of young and naive medical corps officers that you would pile up and use as ramp for your ascension.

We can also ask patty horoho

I think even early on as a Capt/Lt (depending on branch) there would be something eye catching from someone above and billets would be presented as to 'groom' them towards exec. medicine. This is with the understanding that this takes place after residency. I'm sure completing programs to get your ACHE is helpful and developing policies from directives is also helpful.....

For the MC I heard if you get the White House billet you get a star.

For the line I read if your team slays a world renowned terrorist you get a star.

Wasn't there a thread around here not that long ago that talked about a White House physician not being selected for promotion? I seem to remember that and the discussion regarding being a 1 of 1.

VMI graduates ran the Army in WWII, but I digress.

Wasn't there a thread around here not that long ago that talked about a White House physician not being selected for promotion? I seem to remember that and the discussion regarding being a 1 of 1.

One of the Navy docs I talked to described the White House physician billet as one of the many things one checks off on the laundry list to flag officer. I was actually thinking of RADM Mariano during the Clinton days. I'm pretty sure she received her star because POTUS said so.

Reactions: 2 users
Cool. I made LCDR! When can I pin on and when do I get $$$? Thanks
Look at the 3 digits after your name. If you are higher than lets say 50 (the number may be a little lower or higher) or so you will pin on and get paid Sep 1, 2016.

Look at the 3 digits after your name. If you are higher than lets say 50 (the number may be a little lower or higher) or so you will pin on and get paid Sep 1, 2016.

Figures. :) I will probably be out of the military by that point. Damn LECOM and their late graduation dates.

Cool. I made LCDR! When can I pin on and when do I get $$$? Thanks
Congrats!

My friend got passed over for Commander. That's with 2 deployments and doing about every admin thing that comes down the pipe. Hopefully he gets it next go around.

Congrats!

My friend got passed over for Commander. That's with 2 deployments and doing about every admin thing that comes down the pipe. Hopefully he gets it next go around.
That was me two years ago. No explaining some things. I made O5 the next board after an admin heavy year.

That was me two years ago. No explaining some things. I made O5 the next board after an admin heavy year.

Yeah he was very disappointed as to be expected. I mean this is with two tours in Afghanistan and actually having a combat action ribbon when he was flying with some folks.

Oh well hopefully he makes it next go round or he will be out.

Yeah he was very disappointed as to be expected. I mean this is with two tours in Afghanistan and actually having a combat action ribbon when he was flying with some folks.

Oh well hopefully he makes it next go round or he will be out.
I got the passed-over news during morning report/turnover, in Kandahar. I was in an absolute boiling rage for a few days, and variably pissed off for the next year.

(Two CARs from prior green-side deployments during GMO time ... but I think none of that mattered to the board, since I was just a LT, pre-residency then.)

I got the passed-over news during morning report/turnover, in Kandahar. I was in an absolute boiling rage for a few days, and variably pissed off for the next year.

(Two CARs from prior green-side deployments during GMO time ... but I think none of that mattered to the board, since I was just a LT, pre-residency then.)

I could see how that would infuriate anyone.

Glad you eventually got your promotion though!

If I get my DCO I will most likely go in as a captain. If I don't make major within the 6 years of reserves most likely I will take the 2 IRR and walk.

I would be listening to Limp Bizkit's "Break ****", while likely also breaking ****.