Lucky Ohioans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunShare

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen it mentioned several times that Ohio residents have better odds because there are five state schools, but many other states also have multiple state schools (Cali, NY, Texas). I understand that California is highly competitive, but why is it viewed as "easier" to get an acceptance in Ohio than another state with multiple state schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen it mentioned several times that Ohio residents have better odds because there are five state schools, but many other states also have multiple state schools (Cali, NY, Texas). I understand that California is highly competitive, but why is it viewed as "easier" to get an acceptance in Ohio than another state with multiple state schools?
I think it's not that Ohio residents have a particularly easy time getting into school compared to residents of other states with lots of schools, but more that CA is reputed to be especially competitive. I'm from FL, and we have tons of schools too; I can tell you from experience that FL is a great state to be a resident of for application purposes. My impression is that TX is also a great state to be applying in as well.

As a warning, I have no actual numbers to back this up but...

My impression is that for the number of med students that are in state, we have a lot of schools. Additionally, unlike CA, not a lot of people go "Oh, I would LOVE to go to Ohio for med school"... at least not anyone I've talked to.

Although a lot of people do apply to Ohio schools from out of state b/c after a year of living here (your first year) you can apply for state residency and therefore get in state tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
its a matter of number of pre-med applicants to number of seats in state medical schools.

CA has orders of magnitude more applicants than Ohio for only a few hundred more first year seats. Same with NY. I hear Texas is toasty like Florida, though.

My impression is that for the number of med students that are in state, we have a lot of schools. Additionally, unlike CA, not a lot of people go "Oh, I would LOVE to go to Ohio for med school"... at least not anyone I've talked to.

I'm saying that... Cinci and Toledo, I hope you're listening.