EssentialOil123

2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2019
I'm from New York City and am deciding between these two schools. I would like to remain in New York for residency and am interested in Internal medicine/Endocrinology subspecialty.

LECOM Elmira
Pros:
  • Cheaper
  • Closer to home

Cons:
  • No match rate data yet
  • Hesitant about PBL

LUCOM
Pros:
  • Faculty and administration seemed nicer based on interview. I liked the more intimate, homey feel. I lived in Virginia for a year and am technically domiciled there, although it doesn't really matter since it's a private institution.
  • Greater emphasis on student wellness
  • 99% match rate

Cons:
  • Slightly more expensive by about 10K
  • Farther from home.
  • Iffy reputation. I'm a Christian, so I'm fine with the spiritual aspect, but not sure how the institution is viewed outside of SDN.

Jul 11, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I got very bad vibes from LECOM and withdrew my application after the information session. There are some lecom horror stories on here so I would vote LUCOM. that being said, I know nothing about LUCOM!

EssentialOil123

2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2019
LUCOM has a pretty bad reputation from their very religious parent institution and strict rules on campus. LECOM is cheap and has lots of residency programs. I vote LECOM.
I'm from New York City and am deciding between these two schools. I would like to remain in New York for residency and am interested in Internal medicine/Endocrinology subspecialty.

LECOM Elmira
Pros:
  • Cheaper
  • Closer to home

Cons:
  • No match rate data yet
  • Hesitant about PBL

LUCOM
Pros:
  • Faculty and administration seemed nicer based on interview. I liked the more intimate, homey feel. I lived in Virginia for a year and am technically domiciled there, although it doesn't really matter since it's a private institution.
  • Greater emphasis on student wellness
  • 99% match rate

Cons:
  • Slightly more expensive by about 10K
  • Farther from home.
  • Iffy reputation. I'm a Christian, so I'm fine with the spiritual aspect, but not sure how the institution is viewed outside of SDN.
Thank you for the responses. Also, which one has better rotations? I heard LECOM makes your arrange your own rotations? Also, LUCOM seems to have students go to Mississippi, Illinois and Texas for clinical rotations as well.

About the Ads
May 4, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
LECOM-Elmira has their own hospital (Arnot Ogen Medical center)with ACGME accredited residencies in EM, FM, IM, Gen surg and Psych. LECOM-Elmira and Arnot made an agreement to make that hospital a teaching hospital.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.