M.D. Programs in Canada, Britain, Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedProdigy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any highly regarded medical schools in Canada, Britain, or Australia, that can serve as a Plan B if rejected from U.S. Medical Schools? Programs that carry some prestige in the U.S. so their students can get a residency here?

Members don't see this ad.

You've had an account for about a day and you've made 8 useless threads already. Please... look around a little and spare us the fail.

You've had an account for about a day and you've made 8 useless threads already. Please... look around a little and spare us the fail.

Or if you don't have anything useful to say you can probably just not respond. It's 3:30am. Don't you have anything better to do on a Monday Morning?

Members don't see this ad :)
Or if you don't have anything useful to say you can probably just not respond. It's 3:30am. Don't you have anything better to do on a Monday Morning?

Though it's 2:30 where I'm at, I've graduated and have a job where I choose my own hours, and your point is invalid since you're up too, I'll try to make you understand that what I've posted is useful advice for you should you heed it.

Here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=international+medical+schools+accredited+to+usa

Last edited:
However, from my research the USMLEs are very heavy on basic sciences, which Canadian curricula don't teach towards, and the curricula are not timed for the USMLEs.

Yup, their Step 1 seems to be like MCAT but worse. We don't have anything like that once you get into med school; there's essentially no basic science really. From what I can tell, our QE1 seems to be like their Step 2ck, and the QE2 is like Step 2cs/Step 3.

Are there any highly regarded medical schools in Canada, Britain, or Australia, that can serve as a Plan B if rejected from U.S. Medical Schools? Programs that carry some prestige in the U.S. so their students can get a residency here?

There are highly regarded medical schools in the Caribbean. Look into SGU, its like the Harvard of US Med school applicant reject schools.

Yes, every developed country has highly regarded medical school(s), but those schools tend to want to accept the top students from their own country rather than American rejects.

For this and other reasons, the foreign programs you'll have a shot at are mostly those which are specifically designed for American rejects who need a Plan B. The Caribbean schools are the famous example. Personally if I had to go down this road I'd probably look into the Israeli schools instead.

None of these programs carry prestige. Even if you did manage to go to the highly regarded foreign medical schools which take their own citizens rather than low-scoring Americans, you'd still be a foreign medical graduate in the eyes of the US residency application process. You would be far better off going to the worst US MD or DO school.