MA in psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ginaw623

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I have pretty much decided that before the route to a PhD, I am going to get a Master's first. I have pretty mediocre stats (3.38 undergrad GPA, 3.8 psych GPA) and I only took the GRE once a couple years ago where I achieved only about 1000. I am going to need to retake the GRE regardless. I have a few questions that I am hoping someone can help with : 1) How intensive are the MA in Psych programs? Is is possible to hold down a part-time job while in the program...because I have bills ya'll! 2) Do credits from the MA program usually transfer to the PhD so that it doesn't take AS long to earn the PhD? 3) My undergraduate degree is in Human Development & Family Science. With that major and my stats from above, am I a decent canidate for an MA program? Thanks everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Strictly IMO based off my own experience and from what I understand about masters programs and Ph.D. programs, 1) Yes, 2) No, 3)Yes.

1) Depends on the program. If the department provides funding, be prepared to not also hold a part-time job.

I agree with the above on the other answers.
2) No, not usually.
3) Yes, as long as you have completed the pre-reqs.