Technology Macbook vs. Macbook Pro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok. I was at Bestbuy over the weekend and that is what one of the sales associates told me. I didn't really have the time or energy to ask why at that time. I am planning on heading to my local Apple store today so hopefully I can get a definitive answer there about it.

You can definitely hook up whatever monitor you want to your macbook. I've hooked mine up to a variety of non-Apple monitors and TV's. You just need a DVI or VGA adapter which Apple sells for $19 IIRC (make sure you get the one that works for the laptop you have).

Members don't see this ad.

I am also in a similar situation as the OP between the MB and MBP. I am slightly leaning towards the MBP due to faster processor, more RAM and larger/faster hard drives. One question I have is in regards to the Apple LED Cinema Display. I have thought about getting a monitor for use at home when I need a larger screen for movies and editing videos. But, $899 seems a lot for a monitor even if it is LED. Are there any other options monitor wise, or is this about it for the MBP? On the Apple website they show the laptop open when hooked up with the monitor, anyone know if it is possible to close the top of the laptop and just use a separate keyboard?
Well ask yourself this. I used to be a HUGE proponent for the MBP but I realized that I never really needed the extra GHz. The max ram of both the MB and MBP are the same so no difference between that and the hard drive is user replaceable if you actually run out of room.

If you are going to get the LED display I would get the MB to save the money and put it towards the LED display. If I had the cash I would get the display, I've read nothing but good reviews about them.

The high end MB and low end MBP have the same processor speeds. The only difference is the dual dedicated/integrated graphics in the MBP, a pound extra, Firewire, slightly less battery life (especially with the dedicated graphics) an expresscard slot, and the larger screen. The HDD size is irrelevant as people that want larger drives install their own. They are easily replaced. If you need any of those things then get the MBP. Otherwise save your money and go with the MB. Save even more money and go with the low end White or Aluminum MB if you don't need to keyboard backlight or 0.4 GHz.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I suggest "neither"? Unless you have a specific need for a MacBook, or just want to spend the money, they're really not worth it. OS X is pretty cool and all, but not cool/stable/secure enough to warrant paying huge extra cash.

For a student I'd suggest buying a $250 netbook and then setting up a nice desktop computer. For $1200 you can build a nice gaming system and add a 28" monitor :laugh: For the price of a MacBook Pro you can build something so powerful it would just be absolutely ridiculous... just the thought gets me excited :D

The high end MB and low end MBP have the same processor speeds. The only difference is the dual dedicated/integrated graphics in the MBP, a pound extra, Firewire, slightly less battery life (especially with the dedicated graphics) an expresscard slot, and the larger screen. The HDD size is irrelevant as people that want larger drives install their own. They are easily replaced. If you need any of those things then get the MBP. Otherwise save your money and go with the MB. Save even more money and go with the low end White or Aluminum MB if you don't need to keyboard backlight or 0.4 GHz.

I agree, IMO the only reason to get a MBP is for the dedicated graphics card or if you absolutely need a firewire port. If you're not interested in gaming, I would save the money and get a alum MB.

Can I suggest "neither"? Unless you have a specific need for a MacBook, or just want to spend the money, they're really not worth it. OS X is pretty cool and all, but not cool/stable/secure enough to warrant paying huge extra cash.

For a student I'd suggest buying a $250 netbook and then setting up a nice desktop computer. For $1200 you can build a nice gaming system and add a 28" monitor :laugh: For the price of a MacBook Pro you can build something so powerful it would just be absolutely ridiculous... just the thought gets me excited :D
I doubt a netbook would be sufficient for a med student. Med students are going to need a computer on the go not one on their desk at home.

I also take issue with your idea that OS X isn't secure to warrant paying all the extra cash for it. I've never used a virus scanner on my Mac since 2002 and I don't even have my firewall turned on. This is because the system is inherently more secure out of the box. You can say that is because it has such a low market share but it rising popularity make it a more attractive target. Even and conferences such as black hat they have to relax the rules to even get someone to hack the system over the net because no one can do it with the standard set of rules in place.

You are not just paying for the OS but the entire package. If you do a side by side comparison of the hardware you'll see that buying a similar spec'd dell or HP will cost about the same if not more. Vista is a joke going on 2 years, very few positive reviews and many OEM builders have forced MS to continue to issue XP licenses (they tie the XP license to vista so they can say they made a vista sale when in reality people just are opting to run XP over vista). OS X is designed to run on Apple hardware which means you never have driver issues, missing DLL files and the like.

I've said it before and I'll say it again there is a reason you'll hear of people switching to Apple branded computers but you'll hear very few people going the other direction. Apple's growth year over year in the computer segment is ridiculously high compared to other manufacturers.

or you could spend $1000 on the white MB and have one reliable computer that you can have at home/school/work. You don't need a better computer for most purposes that a student would need (get an xbox 360 if you are gonna play games). The MB provides a no-nonsense computing solution for the common person.

If you do a side by side comparison of the hardware you'll see that buying a similar spec'd dell or HP will cost about the same if not more.

I agree that Mac's don't cost more than similarly spec'd PC's. But in a sense, they are more expensive because of their lack of customizability. You CAN spec a Dell/HP to the same price as a Mac, but you can also buy a cheaper/less powerful one if you choose. However, with Apple, I'm forced to buy their cheapest model, which, while more powerful, has a bunch of extras that I don't need (and is missing some stuff I would pay more for *cough* dedicated graphics card *cough*). Don't get me wrong, I love my Mac but I do wish Apple would give us more configuration options.

I agree that Mac's don't cost more than similarly spec'd PC's. But in a sense, they are more expensive because of their lack of customizability. You CAN spec a Dell/HP to the same price as a Mac, but you can also buy a cheaper/less powerful one if you choose. However, with Apple, I'm forced to buy their cheapest model, which, while more powerful, has a bunch of extras that I don't need (and is missing some stuff I would pay more for *cough* dedicated graphics card *cough*). Don't get me wrong, I love my Mac but I do wish Apple would give us more configuration options.

It's not really a configuration problem. Apple just isn't in the low end notebook market. I'm not sure that the MB would fit much more in its case for any decent graphics card.

It's not really a configuration problem. Apple just isn't in the low end notebook market. I'm not sure that the MB would fit much more in its case for any decent graphics card.
They're in the low-end notebook market alright; their pricing just doesn't reflect it. :laugh: MacBooks are mid/low end notebooks.

This computer is priced similarly to a MacBook (read: cheapest model). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220412

It's got dedicated 1GB graphics card, 4GB RAM, 17" monitor (1920x1200 pixel^2), Super/Multi DVD, 320GB HDD.

The two computers aren't even comparable in performance, but Apple gives it a comparable MSRP.

They're in the low-end notebook market alright; their pricing just doesn't reflect it. :laugh: MacBooks are mid/low end notebooks.

This computer is priced similarly to a MacBook (read: cheapest model). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220412

It's got dedicated 1GB graphics card, 4GB RAM, 17" monitor (1920x1200 pixel^2), Super/Multi DVD, 320GB HDD.

The two computers aren't even comparable in performance, but Apple gives it a comparable MSRP.

That thing is a tank. What do you mean the performance isn't comparable? The only difference is the graphics card which I have to say is overkill for a notebook computer. (Though I'm not sure you can call that thing a notebook). The cheapest MB is $949. I assume you meant the Aluminum MB which is $1249. The high end MB is $1499 though your notebook and the MB is for a different market. If you compare your thing to the MBP then your notebook is cheaper, but Apple doesn't make anything that large for a notebook in terms of weight or design. For better or worse, Apple maintains a certain level of battery life, weight, and thinness in their notebooks. In fact, the RAM type isn't even comparable on the Apple notebooks to your computer since it is DDR3 vs. DDR2 with only a maximum of 4GB on yours and at least 6GB max on Apple notebooks. If you need the RAM, and this absolutely is a desktop replacement, then you are out of luck if you ever need more than 4GB and you plan on keeping it for more than a few years. I believe that the high end MB is not priced competitively considering the difference between it and the lower end MB is negligible. Your notebook is nearly 9 pounds. Does your battery last more than an hour? With that weight it might as well only last an hour as you probably are never able to carry it to another area away from an outlet. ;)

Anyway, I'm happy for you and your purchase. I just hope you know that if you got it to play games it is going to be an expensive paperweight if you get into med school. Otherwise, this kind of notebook has very little practical use.

Last edited:

It's definitely possible, just look at the new aluminum MB's--they have a dedicated graphics card and they're thinner/lighter than the older MB's. And it's not about low-end vs high-end, it's just giving consumers more choices--even the most expensive MB/MBP's can't be very customized. IMO it's an attitude problem that Apple has more than anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I had the chance to do some research and go to my local Apple store. Yes the sales guy at BB was wrong, I can use a non-Apple display if I get the right adapter.

So I decided to go the MB route over the MBP as you guys offered many good suggestions. The Pro just would be a bit overkill for me. Looking at the aluminum MB with:
- 2.4 GHz
- 4GB RAM
- 320gb Hard drive
- a mix of additional software (iWork, Apple Office, Final Cut/Aperature)
- AC

Since I decided to go with the smaller 13in over the 15, the difference in price will allow me to get a larger monitor for my home when I need something larger (ie edit photos, mess with some videos...etc.) as Slevin mentioned earlier. Any words of wisdom in regards to getting the 24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display vs. 24-inch Samsung LCD monitor vs. Samsung LCD flat panel TV. At this point is it a matter of preference? Ultimately the Apple with the LED will probably have better quality, however the LCD TV would allow me to use it for other things besides a computer monitor. Is that about right?

It's definitely possible, just look at the new aluminum MB's--they have a dedicated graphics card and they're thinner/lighter than the older MB's. And it's not about low-end vs high-end, it's just giving consumers more choices--even the most expensive MB/MBP's can't be very customized. IMO it's an attitude problem that Apple has more than anything else.

I agree. That's kind of what I was trying to get across. They are going for a certain amount of thinness, simplicity, battery life, and design. There isn't as much customizability as it saves Apple from worrying about compatibility nightmares with third party components being put into the machines. Though what exactly would one want to customize besides the graphics card? If the graphics are needed for games you might as well build your own Windows desktop, but if you don't need the excessive graphics then you don't need much else besides plenty of HDD space, RAM, and CPU (all of which can be ordered, BTO, or user-installed).

HC, I think it is wise to go the route of the aluminum 2.4GHz Macbook over the white Macbook. The Macbook Pro is overkill in my opinion for what you will be using it for. You are only going to be paying ~$400-500 extra for the high end aluminum Macbook over the white when you max out the Ram at 4gb and get the larger hard drive. Also you get a better GPU, screen, faster processor, 1066 MHz FSB with the high end Macbook vs. 800 MHz FSB for the white Macbook, DDR3 Ram vs. DDR2, backlit keyboard with the high end aluminum, longer battery life, and about 1/2 pound less in weight. Really the high end Macbook is the way to go. In your position I might consider getting a larger monitor for when you are at home as you mentioned. Better going that route vs. paying the premium for the MBP 2.4GHz at 15in.

So I had the chance to do some research and go to my local Apple store. Yes the sales guy at BB was wrong, I can use a non-Apple display if I get the right adapter.

So I decided to go the MB route over the MBP as you guys offered many good suggestions. The Pro just would be a bit overkill for me. Looking at the aluminum MB with:
- 2.4 GHz
- 4GB RAM
- 320gb Hard drive
- a mix of additional software (iWork, Apple Office, Final Cut/Aperature)
- AC

Since I decided to go with the smaller 13in over the 15, the difference in price will allow me to get a larger monitor for my home when I need something larger (ie edit photos, mess with some videos...etc.) as Slevin mentioned earlier. Any words of wisdom in regards to getting the 24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display vs. 24-inch Samsung LCD monitor vs. Samsung LCD flat panel TV. At this point is it a matter of preference? Ultimately the Apple with the LED will probably have better quality, however the LCD TV would allow me to use it for other things besides a computer monitor. Is that about right?

Not sure if money is an issue for you, but if you want to try and save some $$$... I would get the most expensive MB if you 1) plan on using CPU intensive software and/or 2) really want an illuminated keyboard. Otherwise, I'd save the $300 and get the middle model.

Also, do you really need 4 GB's of RAM? 2 GB's is more than enough for most people but once again, it depends on what you're using your laptop for.

As for the HD, unless you need a lot of space on the go, I would consider staying with the default drive, and using the $100 saved towards an external HD (you can get a 500+gb external HD for that price and use it for backups/more storage--the downside is that you can't take it with you).

I believe LED displays look better, although I don't have any first-hand experience with them. If possible, I would try and compare the displays side-by-side and see which one you like better. An LCD TV would allow you to do more (like watching TV :), but make sure the display quality is acceptable for you when you hook up your laptop. I've hooked up my laptop to many TV's and IMO, the quality is pretty lackluster compared to real monitors (especially larger TV's).

Lastly, you can get AC on ebay for a lot cheaper than the apple store (applies to many of the software you listed) and also, not sure if you're aware, but you get a discount (I think $100-150?) if you tell them you're a student.

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks for the advice jdover.

Not sure if money is an issue for you, but if you want to try and save some $$$... I would get the most expensive MB if you 1) plan on using CPU intensive software and/or 2) really want an illuminated keyboard. Otherwise, I'd save the $300 and get the middle model.

I plan on doing some video and picture editing, not enough to justify the MBP. So I would like the extra CPU power to run programs like Final Cut/Aperature.

Also, do you really need 4 GB's of RAM? 2 GB's is more than enough for most people but once again, it depends on what you're using your laptop for.

To be honest I am a sucker for RAM. That is one area that I don't want to skimp on, I want to load it up to the max so that I won't have to worry about it later. Plus the $135 extra for 4GB of RAM isn't that bad. I think it is a well worth expense.

As for the HD, unless you need a lot of space on the go, I would consider staying with the default drive, and using the $100 saved towards an external HD (you can get a 500+gb external HD for that price and use it for backups/more storage--the downside is that you can't take it with you).

Actually I already have 2 500GB externals, one of which hasn't been opened and is Mac compatible. I will probably just use that external for added space. But I would like to have a little larger internal HD for files that I need to have with me all the time. So I don't need to worry about another external at this moment.

I believe LED displays look better, although I don't have any first-hand experience with them. If possible, I would try and compare the displays side-by-side and see which one you like better. An LCD TV would allow you to do more (like watching TV :), but make sure the display quality is acceptable for you when you hook up your laptop. I've hooked up my laptop to many TV's and IMO, the quality is pretty lackluster compared to real monitors (especially larger TV's).

It is probably wisest to get the laptop first, then maybe go and check out a few LCD TV's and the Apple monitors to see what I like better? One issue is that I would rather have a monitor at a desk when having to do some real work, rather than in the couch in front of the TV. But if just goofing around, the couch wouldn't be a bad place to be with the TV.

Lastly, you can get AC on ebay for a lot cheaper than the apple store (applies to many of the software you listed) and also, not sure if you're aware, but you get a discount (I think $100-150?) if you tell them you're a student.

Is the student discount also available on the ebay AC? I thought only if you purchase it through Apple?

That thing is a tank. What do you mean the performance isn't comparable? The only difference is the graphics card which I have to say is overkill for a notebook computer. (Though I'm not sure you can call that thing a notebook). The cheapest MB is $949. I assume you meant the Aluminum MB which is $1249.
The White Macbook doesn't count... it's being phased out of production so they're trying to dump the inventory. The most closely speced MacBook is $1849 which would have essentially the same components except it would have crappy graphics and a 13" screen with 1280x960 pixels. That's $400 more for a whole lot less! No contest.

The high end MB is $1499 though your notebook and the MB is for a different market. If you compare your thing to the MBP then your notebook is cheaper, but Apple doesn't make anything that large for a notebook in terms of weight or design. For better or worse, Apple maintains a certain level of battery life, weight, and thinness in their notebooks. In fact, the RAM type isn't even comparable on the Apple notebooks to your computer since it is DDR3 vs. DDR2 with only a maximum of 4GB on yours and at least 6GB max on Apple notebooks.
The DDR2 vs. DDR3 benchmarks aren't significantly different. And, the one area where it would make a difference with DDR3, Apple didn't take advantage-- Tri-Channel.

If you need the RAM, and this absolutely is a desktop replacement, then you are out of luck if you ever need more than 4GB and you plan on keeping it for more than a few years.
4GB is a lot of RAM unless you're doing heavy video/picture editing. For general computing and even hardcore gaming purposes, 4GB is more than enough and the benchmarks prove it.

Your notebook is nearly 9 pounds. Does your battery last more than an hour? With that weight it might as well only last an hour as you probably are never able to carry it to another area away from an outlet. ;)

Anyway, I'm happy for you and your purchase. I just hope you know that if you got it to play games it is going to be an expensive paperweight if you get into med school. Otherwise, this kind of notebook has very little practical use.
It's not my notebook. If I but a notebook, it'll be a netbook :D I have no use for a "nice" laptop b/c I do almost all of my computing on my desktop. B

As for practicality, the price/performance of a MacBook is very impractical. They're, IMHO, a "status symbol" and "fad" for most people. :D

It is probably wisest to get the laptop first, then maybe go and check out a few LCD TV's and the Apple monitors to see what I like better? One issue is that I would rather have a monitor at a desk when having to do some real work, rather than in the couch in front of the TV. But if just goofing around, the couch wouldn't be a bad place to be with the TV.

Sounds like you did your research :). Yes, I would get a laptop first and then get a monitor (unless you're in a rush). I've read good things about Dell's LCD monitors (esp. their 24 inchers) so you can take a look into those also if you want. And yea, it can be very distracting having a TV at your desk so if you plan on using your monitor mostly for work, I would suggest not getting a TV (you can always get a USB TV tuner if you wanna watch TV on your laptop occasionally).

Is the student discount also available on the ebay AC? I thought only if you purchase it through Apple?

You can only get a student discount thru Apple, although I'm not sure how much you can save on AC. I just did a quick search on ebay and AC's were going for ~$140 (double check before you buy it to make sure it's for the right macbook model) which is prolly much cheaper than what you can get thru Apple, discount or not.

Sounds like you did your research :). Yes, I would get a laptop first and then get a monitor (unless you're in a rush). I've read good things about Dell's LCD monitors (esp. their 24 inchers) so you can take a look into those also if you want. And yea, it can be very distracting having a TV at your desk so if you plan on using your monitor mostly for work, I would suggest not getting a TV (you can always get a USB TV tuner if you wanna watch TV on your laptop occasionally).

Yeah I think that is the way that I am going to go. When looking at LED vs. LCD vs. plasma monitor/TV, what are the important specs to look at in general? Resolution? Contrast ratio? Aspect ratio? Those about it?

Last edited:
You can only get a student discount thru Apple, although I'm not sure how much you can save on AC. I just did a quick search on ebay and AC's were going for ~$140 (double check before you buy it to make sure it's for the right macbook model) which is prolly much cheaper than what you can get thru Apple, discount or not.

AppleCare: MSRP/Student Discount Applied

MacBook Air and MacBook: $249/$183

MacBook Pro, w/ or w/o Display: $349/$239

Yeah I think that is the way that I am going to go. When looking at LED vs. LCD vs. plasma monitor/TV, what are the important specs to look at in general? Resolution? Contrast ratio? Aspect ratio? Those about it?

ummmm, I don't really know too much about displays but I know higher = better :). I have no idea how LED's are even spec'd or rated, but usually when comparing monitors, I just look at them side and side and pick the one that looks better. Also, you're gonna want a widescreen (16:9 aspect ratio) monitor since the MB's are all widescreen--but most monitors nowadays, especially larger ones are all widescreen anyways.

AppleCare: MSRP/Student Discount Applied

MacBook Air and MacBook: $249/$183

MacBook Pro, w/ or w/o Display: $349/$239

Still cheaper on ebay :thumbup:.

Maybe you should take another look at the title of this thread.
I know, I know... the OP asked and I responded with "Can I suggest, neither?" So, tar and feather me for not being an Apple fan-boy. :laugh:

If the OP insists on purchasing an MB or MBP, then I'd suggest taking to craigslist, finding a MB or MBP that is under a year old, purchase AppleCare for it and save a whole lot of money.

For a student there is absolutely no need for anything other than word processing, media playback, and web-browsing so anything will do. Neither is "better" at those things. If you have bad eyesight, then I'd suggest shelling out the cash for an MBP b/c you can get a larger screen size.

The White Macbook doesn't count... it's being phased out of production so they're trying to dump the inventory. The most closely speced MacBook is $1849 which would have essentially the same components except it would have crappy graphics and a 13" screen with 1280x960 pixels. That's $400 more for a whole lot less! No contest.

The DDR2 vs. DDR3 benchmarks aren't significantly different. And, the one area where it would make a difference with DDR3, Apple didn't take advantage-- Tri-Channel.

4GB is a lot of RAM unless you're doing heavy video/picture editing. For general computing and even hardcore gaming purposes, 4GB is more than enough and the benchmarks prove it.

It's not my notebook. If I but a notebook, it'll be a netbook :D I have no use for a "nice" laptop b/c I do almost all of my computing on my desktop. B

As for practicality, the price/performance of a MacBook is very impractical. They're, IMHO, a "status symbol" and "fad" for most people. :D

$1849? What are you upgrading things through Apple for these numbers? I spent just under $1500 for my 2GHz Aluminum MB with 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320 GB 5400RPM HDD, and the battery saving NVIDIA 9400M. This of course includes tax and the fact that I overpaid for the DDR3 at the very beginning it was being sold by third party companies. I probably should have bought the MB through Amazon but I wanted my free printer for $100. I probably also should have waited to buy the RAM but I needed it to stream/load my lectures for school since it is now 61 and I paid 115. Also, the HDD I bought literally dropped overnight and I paid 75 and it is now 55. Though if I bought the 2.4GHz model I would have just stuck with the 250GB HDD and saved the money. Either way, if we are going to compare apples with oranges to match your price I would have bought the 2.4 MB from Amazon for $1499, no tax, and free shipping. Then I would have bought RAM and HDD from OWC for 166 total including shipping and minus 80 for rebates coming to 86.47. So the total for the 2.4GHz MB/4GB DDR3 RAM/320 GB 5400 RPM HDD would be 1585.47. Pretty good deal from my book but it isn't what I would have bought either way. I wanted to save a bit of money and get the 2 GHz model.

But this whole discussion is irrelevant. You just cannot compare an Mac to the rest of the pack. You cherry picked some notebook on Newegg that you don't own and therefore can't comment on how "good" (subjective) it is besides on paper let alone functionality as a notebook. I also have a nice desktop, but since having my MB I rarely use it. If my notebook was 9 pounds it would be a bit of a waste correct as it would be a pain to lug around to school. When you get to med school see how inconvenient it is to sit in one place for hours on end watching your lectures with a desktop. I did it throughout first year. I didn't like it at all. This year I have my MB and it is way better. I wouldn't use a netbook either as it would be painful to use. Though you can use WMP to stream lectures I prefer progressive download.

As for cherry picking on Newegg, I found This Acer for 499 back after Thanksgiving with 2GHz/4GB RAM/320 GB HDD/GMA 4500. I know not the best graphics but who the hell needs a dedicated card all the time. Still 6.6 pounds but I recommended it to a friend who couldn't afford it at the time. Now it is no longer for sale. There is a reason the new MBPs contain dedicated and integrated graphics to save battery life and keep heat down. Though if you really want the performance hybrid SLI will probably be brought into the picture with Snow Leopard.

$1849? What are you upgrading things through Apple for these numbers? I spent just under $1500 for my 2GHz Aluminum MB with 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320 GB 5400RPM HDD, and the battery saving NVIDIA 9400M.
That was calculated as upgraded through Apple.com. The MB that I calculated for was the 2.5 GHz b/c that more closely matches the laptop I was comparing it with.

...compare apples with oranges...
Comparing one intel-based computer to another is not apples and oranges :)

But this whole discussion is irrelevant. You just cannot compare an Mac to the rest of the pack.
Why not? It's an intel-based computer.

You cherry picked some notebook on Newegg that you don't own and therefore can't comment on how "good" (subjective) it is besides on paper let alone functionality as a notebook.
I've built so many computers and used so many different operating systems I don't think I need to "try" a computer before I can appreciate the differences between its hardware and another computers :D It's like saying you'd need to test drive a Ferrari and a 350Z to see if there really is a performance difference. :laugh:

I also have a nice desktop, but since having my MB I rarely use it. If my notebook was 9 pounds it would be a bit of a waste correct as it would be a pain to lug around to school. When you get to med school see how inconvenient it is to sit in one place for hours on end watching your lectures with a desktop. I did it throughout first year. I didn't like it at all. This year I have my MB and it is way better. I wouldn't use a netbook either as it would be painful to use. Though you can use WMP to stream lectures I prefer progressive download.
You'd know better than I would :) But, at this point in time I "think" I'd prefer to watch lectures in the comfort of my own home.

And, although I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal to download and view lectures on a netbook, I'd not like to watch them on a 8" screen so I wouldn't buy for that purpose.

As for cherry picking on Newegg, I found This Acer for 499 back after Thanksgiving with 2GHz/4GB RAM/320 GB HDD/GMA 4500. I know not the best graphics but who the hell needs a dedicated card all the time. Still 6.6 pounds but I recommended it to a friend who couldn't afford it at the time. Now it is no longer for sale. There is a reason the new MBPs contain dedicated and integrated graphics to save battery life and keep heat down. Though if you really want the performance hybrid SLI will probably be brought into the picture with Snow Leopard.
Acer makes a great product... nice find. My wife's Acer gets thrown all over the place and takes the abuse like a champ. My [White C2D] MacBook on the other hand loved to chew up and spit out HDD's even when I handled it like a newborn baby. Hopefully the aluminums are a bit tougher.

Lol I was confused on what you meant. You should have been more specific that you were comparing it to the Macbook Pro (MBP) and not just the MB. 2.5GHz? Are you talking about the 17" inch MBP? That is still a previous generation machine. They only upgraded the regular MB, MBAs, and 15.4" MBPs in October. Also, the 17" MBP is pretty atrociously expensive. As for the midlevel MBP at 2.53 GHz/4 GB RAM/320 GB HDD at $2299 with ed discount isn't that bad for an expensive computer. It's also on Amazon for $2249 after rebate which is pretty nice. Though the low end MBP at 2.4 GHz can be had for much cheaper and the RAM/HDD can be upgraded by the user or kept as is.

They may all be Intel chipsets but if you prefer the Mac OS it doesn't matter how cheap other notebooks are. There is also something to be said about the all in house hardware design and support.

Lol I was confused on what you meant. You should have been more specific that you were comparing it to the Macbook Pro (MBP) and not just the MB. 2.5GHz? Are you talking about the 17" inch MBP? That is still a previous generation machine. They only upgraded the regular MB, MBAs, and 15.4" MBPs in October. Also, the 17" MBP is pretty atrociously expensive. As for the midlevel MBP at 2.53 GHz/4 GB RAM/320 GB HDD at $2299 with ed discount isn't that bad for an expensive computer. It's also on Amazon for $2249 after rebate which is pretty nice. Though the low end MBP at 2.4 GHz can be had for much cheaper and the RAM/HDD can be upgraded by the user or kept as is.

They may all be Intel chipsets but if you prefer the Mac OS it doesn't matter how cheap other notebooks are. There is also something to be said about the all in house hardware design and support.
I was actually talking about a regular MB :) I just upgraded the processor from 2.0 to 2.5 GHz (and the rest of the pertinent upgrades to match as closely as possible the other comp's specs) via the Apple website. The regular Aluminum MacBook with a 2.5GHz C2Duo, 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM, 13" screen, etc was what I priced at $1849 via the site.

Anyway, if someone is bent on using OS X then a base model MacBook with the education discount or under a year old and then adding AppleCare is the only way to go IMHO. OS X is nifty, I have to agree with that. When I used it I loved the fact that it's *nix based and when something broke I could actually fix stuff from the command prompt. But, to me, it's not worth the extra dinero. And, IMHO, I don't think it would be worth it to the average computer user either.

JM.02

/hi-jack

I was actually talking about a regular MB :) I just upgraded the processor from 2.0 to 2.5 GHz (and the rest of the pertinent upgrades to match as closely as possible the other comp's specs) via the Apple website. The regular Aluminum MacBook with a 2.5GHz C2Duo, 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM, 13" screen, etc was what I priced at $1849 via the site.

Anyway, if someone is bent on using OS X then a base model MacBook with the education discount or under a year old and then adding AppleCare is the only way to go IMHO. OS X is nifty, I have to agree with that. When I used it I loved the fact that it's *nix based and when something broke I could actually fix stuff from the command prompt. But, to me, it's not worth the extra dinero. And, IMHO, I don't think it would be worth it to the average computer user either.

JM.02

/hi-jack
Just because its based on nix isn't important to the average consumer. The average consumer needs and wants something that works. People are tired of buying computers and then having to add a antiviral subscription to it. People are tired of having to install drivers and spending hours thumbing through manuals to get the scanner or printer to work with their computer. People are tired of their computers slowing down due to malware and spyware. People want a computer that works without the added hassle of installing extra software.

We aren't typical computer users and as such what we want in a computer doesn't correspond to a typical user. But the average consumer is tired of having to go into a best buy and select a computer from over 30 different models. An over abundance of choice can paralyze the average consumer, seven flavors of vista, why? I mean why confuse the average consumer in choosing an OS. There are two flavors of OS X server and client Apple users don't have to decide on what OS they run (unless they use vmware and then they can use Win too) so it makes the choice simple for the consumer.

Apple's computer business has seen huge growth in sales in year over year, experiencing double digit increases in sales where as windows box assemblers have seen their sales stagnate. People are tired of Windows and M$ hasn't put any quality software in years, Their Vista is a failure as evidenced by the fact that they are STILL selling XP two years after Vista came out despite their wanting to kill it multiple times and Office is only thriving because they forced out all the real competition years ago.

People aren't buying Apples because of nix they are buying it in droves because it provides a better experience for the consumer while providing excellent security for the consumer out of the box.

So, tar and feather me for not being an Apple fan-boy. :laugh:

Worse, you're a PC fanboy.

You derailed a thread about Apple notebooks because you couldn't stand to see people talking about something that wasn't your particular choice. And now, you won't shut up about it.

Personally, I don't care what kind of computer you use, or why. Why you should care what we use is beyond me.

Just because its based on nix isn't important to the average consumer. The average consumer needs and wants something that works. People are tired of buying computers and then having to add a antiviral subscription to it. People are tired of having to install drivers and spending hours thumbing through manuals to get the scanner or printer to work with their computer. People are tired of their computers slowing down due to malware and spyware. People want a computer that works without the added hassle of installing extra software.

We aren't typical computer users and as such what we want in a computer doesn't correspond to a typical user. But the average consumer is tired of having to go into a best buy and select a computer from over 30 different models. An over abundance of choice can paralyze the average consumer, seven flavors of vista, why? I mean why confuse the average consumer in choosing an OS. There are two flavors of OS X server and client Apple users don't have to decide on what OS they run (unless they use vmware and then they can use Win too) so it makes the choice simple for the consumer.

Apple's computer business has seen huge growth in sales in year over year, experiencing double digit increases in sales where as windows box assemblers have seen their sales stagnate. People are tired of Windows and M$ hasn't put any quality software in years, Their Vista is a failure as evidenced by the fact that they are STILL selling XP two years after Vista came out despite their wanting to kill it multiple times and Office is only thriving because they forced out all the real competition years ago.

People aren't buying Apples because of nix they are buying it in droves because it provides a better experience for the consumer while providing excellent security for the consumer out of the box.

I agree with your post about the overall experience (I love my mac), but I suspect that as Apple becomes more popular, it will become the target of more viruses/malware. If Apple ever does become a major player in the computer market (especially in the corporate market), I wouldn't be surprised if people have to start installing antivirus along with OS X. Another thing Apple is very good at is marketing its products, which IMO definitely plays a role in its rising popularity.

I am also in a similar situation as the OP between the MB and MBP. I am slightly leaning towards the MBP due to faster processor, more RAM and larger/faster hard drives. One question I have is in regards to the Apple LED Cinema Display. I have thought about getting a monitor for use at home when I need a larger screen for movies and editing videos. But, $899 seems a lot for a monitor even if it is LED. Are there any other options monitor wise, or is this about it for the MBP? On the Apple website they show the laptop open when hooked up with the monitor, anyone know if it is possible to close the top of the laptop and just use a separate keyboard?

I went through the MB/MBP delema recently. I do a bit of video editing and adobe suite activity, so I was worried a about the MB being able to keep up. However, I also travel a lot and wanted maximal protibility. In the end I bought a maxed out MB. The processor is the same as the bottom of the line MBP (2.4GHz) and I put in 4Gig RAM. It is a very sweet machine that does all I ask of it for a lot less $$. I may render a few seconds longer, but it is not "clinically significant." I bought the LED Cinema display as well. I use it with the lid closed and a separate keyboard and mouse without any problem. It feels just like an iMac in this configuration. If you leave the lid open, you can expand the display. I have run Fusion/Vista on the laptop screen in full screen mode and OS X on the Cinema display. It really feels like 2 computers.

Worse, you're a PC fanboy.

You derailed a thread about Apple notebooks because you couldn't stand to see people talking about something that wasn't your particular choice. And now, you won't shut up about it.
Man, my post wasn't anywhere near offensive. You sure are touchy. :eek: And, I'm not a PC fan-boy. I just like computers in general. I especially like computers that give a good bang for the buck, and that's not anything Apple. I like the design and functionality of Apple computers/electronics products. In fact, if Apple sold OS X for PC owners I'd buy it for sure. Their computers are just a rip-off, that's all.

Anyway, I gave input on MB vs. MBP for a student who only wants a Mac. But, I'll repeat: there is absolutely no need for an MBP as a student. And, I'd suggest buying used from craigslist or ebay to save money and find one with AppleCare or buy one that's less than a year old so you can add AppleCare. From my experience there is a mounting issue with the MB's HDD's because the HDD's like to die a lot (at least the previous gen; I haven't owned an Aluminum).

I bought the LED Cinema display as well. I use it with the lid closed and a separate keyboard and mouse without any problem. It feels just like an iMac in this configuration. If you leave the lid open, you can expand the display. I have run Fusion/Vista on the laptop screen in full screen mode and OS X on the Cinema display. It really feels like 2 computers.

That's how I ran my MacBook most of the time. I bought a powered USB hub that always had an external DVD-RW + DL writer, USB keyboard, USB Mouse + empty USB port at all times. So, when I got home all I had to do was plugin a single USB port and my Mini-DVI to DVI adapted monitor and I had a desktop computer--it took all of 3 seconds to do and definitely made home computer better.

Last edited:
That's how I ran my MacBook most of the time. I bought a powered USB hub that always had an external DVD-RW + DL writer, USB keyboard, USB Mouse + empty USB porn at all times. So, when I got home all I had to do was plugin a single USB port and my Mini-DVI to DVI adapted monitor and I had a desktop computer--it took all of 3 seconds to do and definitely made home computer better.

USB porn is so much slower than firewire porn, wouldn't you say?

:lol:

Sorry. Carry on.

:laugh: Hey, I spelled port correctly 1/2 times :D

Just as a heads up, i DO believe that the NEW MB Model elimiated the Firewire, if thats something you need, you might want to look at the original macbook which has that. However besides that, i would say go for the Macbook. I dont see the point of anyone having a macbook Pro unless they want it as a substitute to their primary machine (im assuming your going to use a home PC) or if they are hardcore gamers, video editors etc...

If you need firewire you might as well go with the MBP as it has F800. F400 isn't that much faster than USB. For some of the video apps dedicated graphics would also help. If you need the F800 for a scratch disk then obviously not even the previous MBs with F400 will cut it.

Just as a heads up, i DO believe that the NEW MB Model elimiated the Firewire, if thats something you need, you might want to look at the original macbook which has that. However besides that, i would say go for the Macbook. I dont see the point of anyone having a macbook Pro unless they want it as a substitute to their primary machine (im assuming your going to use a home PC) or if they are hardcore gamers, video editors etc...

Seriously, what are you people using firewire for that can not be substitute for usb?

Seriously, what are you people using firewire for that can not be substitute for usb?

I don't require firewire because my backup HDD is a triple interface F800/400/USB but many people do require firewire to do a lot of video work because it has a consistent stream of data rather than USB.

I don't require firewire because my backup HDD is a triple interface F800/400/USB but many people do require firewire to do a lot of video work because it has a consistent stream of data rather than USB.

And who exactly is doing a lot of video work, on a macbook no less, and demands firewire? I don't think such a rational being exists, not to say there aren't a few weirdos out there. Now I admit, using target disk mode with firewire is nice but if you really need it go get a macbook pro.

And who exactly is doing a lot of video work, on a macbook no less, and demands firewire? I don't think such a rational being exists, not to say there aren't a few weirdos out there. Now I admit, using target disk mode with firewire is nice but if you really need it go get a macbook pro.

I agree, but countless disgruntled individuals on macrumors and elsewhere disagreed. The 9400M in the MB is sufficient for most video encoding, however, people who want to do this from a digital video camcorder are forced to buy a previous version notebook or upgrade to the MBP. This is where the animosity lies since they removed F400, which was something that existed before.

I just took a look at the new MB's...they are gorgeous!!! all this talk about Apples has me wanting to ditch my 4 year old Dell as soon as possible.

Do you guys think the protection plans are worth the price?

I ditched the Dell Inspiron I bought less than two years ago for a MacBook. The ac adaptor cord on the Dell needed to be replaced twice, and Vista sucks. I couldn't take it anymore.

I have a lot to learn with this system, but I am happy so far. I never had an iPod before--no way was I getting into that with a PC. It's been two days and I've transferred about two hundred songs from CDs so far onto my iPod. Going to the gym just got a lot sweeter.

I ditched the Dell Inspiron I bought less than two years ago for a MacBook. The ac adaptor cord on the Dell needed to be replaced twice, and Vista sucks. I couldn't take it anymore.

I have a lot to learn with this system, but I am happy so far. I never had an iPod before--no way was I getting into that with a PC. It's been two days and I've transferred about two hundred songs from CDs so far onto my iPod. Going to the gym just got a lot sweeter.

If you are new to the Mac let me give you a list of helpful apps.

Check the links for the description on MacUpdate
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20056/chax
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26526/things
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/24352/mental-case
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20425/undercover
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22662/delivery-status
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19147/textexpander
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23819/coversutra
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16417/delicious-library
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6771/transmit
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12987/handbrake
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/27853/macloc
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19202/safariblock
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23662/papers
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20036/blueharvest
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15873/newsfire
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/24218/minutes
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/27025/secrets
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/25276/appcleaner

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Welcome to the club, once you go mac you don't go back

Oh and check out some of the tutorials here
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/

For running windows if you have to I recommend VMware fusion over parallels
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23593/vmware-fusion

Whoa! Thank you so much! I didn't get Windows on my Mac. I actually still have my old Dell; I'm just not using it. I don't see the point in putting Windows on the Mac when it was Windows that drove me to getting a Mac.

Whoa! Thank you so much! I didn't get Windows on my Mac. I actually still have my old Dell; I'm just not using it. I don't see the point in putting Windows on the Mac when it was Windows that drove me to getting a Mac.
I hear you but I have windows just for those very few times I get something that is windows only, I'm not sure if I have even opend my copy of windows this year.

I also don't use MS Office I prefer Apple's iWork Suite. You should try it out.

Windows is driving me crazy as well.

Update on me: I will probably wait a year or so to get a mac since my current dell is an overheating, slow maniac at times; I'll need to save up for that nice macbook that was suggested earlier. I think the light up keyboard looks nice too.