Technology Macbook vs. Macbook Pro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The new Macbooks would be an easy win for me but the new screens are turning me off. Arrrg, they are too shiny. They are so reflective. I can't stand it, after spending a few hours in the Apple store looking at them. The Macbook Air's screen is not as reflective.

I don't understand why Apple made all their screens reflective and not matte. I know a lot of people were upset because of it. At least give us an option to get matte on the Macbooks. I'd happily pay $50 for it.

And the worse part about laptops are the lousy batteries. I hate only getting 1 hour on my Thinkpad R61.

Yeah the glossy screen often annoys me. I would opt for matte, personally.

I get 4hrs+ on my 2 year old MB though. 299 cycles.

Members don't see this ad.

Glossy gives better color than matte, but if you increase the brightness enough and are able to avoid very bright windows then it isn't much of a problem. Though most laptops are glossy these days so there isn't much other place to turn. The MB has always been glossy but at least the 15" MBP had the option for matte until the latest update.

Another option is Anti glare films which have drawbacks but they aren't that expensive.

Powersupportusa film

As for my battery, I get about 4 hours on my Alum MB. You have to minimize things that are eating up battery like brightness, bluetooth, IR, Wifi (though I usually keep it on), and flash. Those of you that hate flash ads in Safari should install clicktoflash so your CPU won't ramp up due to annoying ads. Safari AdBlock is also nice.

I used those screen for my Ipod touch. Really nice, but theyre not perfect. They are hard to apply and a tiny dust particle can really bother you. I can't imagine putting one on a 13" screen.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used those screen for my Ipod touch. Really nice, but theyre not perfect. They are hard to apply and a tiny dust particle can really bother you. I can't imagine putting one on a 13" screen.

I know what you mean. They are a pain. But other than sending the machine to a third party to do a little switch of the screen there are no other options.

I'd say you overdid it with using the battery. ;) Though I shouldn't say anything since before my battery died an early death after less than three months (and it was replaced for free) I was up to a little over 70 cycles. I was on track for 700 cycles after 2.5 years. I did learn, since getting my battery replaced, proper battery use. I used the opportunity for a clean slate and I'm hoping this battery should last me for the life of the computer. I also have Applecare for the full three years so perhaps I can argue my case with them if it ever does go south before the three years are up. The battery is in general a consumable item not covered by warranty, but Apple is good about replacing a faulty battery that dies early within certain limits.

I'm curious though. What's your battery capacity in Apple System Profiler?

Woah! Sorry, I haven't been on in a while. According to system profiler and coconut battery, my full charge capacity is 3632 mAh. What does your say?

I also have apple care and I tried to get my battery replaced when I was around 300 cycles and they said they usually don't replace them since they're a consumable item but when they do replace them its only when you have <200 cycles. I was bummed. I'm just waiting till they put the mobile nehalem CPUs into the MB and I'm going to upgrade. I'll probably just turn my old macbook into a media server or something.

I have an Aluminum MB. They have a different capacity than the previous models. I'm still at 100% with 31 cycles since I got the new battery in January. Your maximum should be 5020 mAh when it was brand new.

You'll likely be waiting until sometime early in 2010 for Nehalem.

Oh nice so my battery isn't really doing that bad considering the ridiculous amount of cylces that I put it through.

Yeah I know I'll be waiting a while but I'd rather have newer technology going into med school than go in with old Penryn lol. Isn't that what the current aluminum MBs have? I heard Nehalem is supposed to show a VERY noticeable difference in power.

Yeah its a good idea to take advantage of those back to school discounts. FREE IPOD!!