Technology Macbook vs. Macbook Pro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeetKuneDo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, what's better for a student? The new macbook pro's are a little smaller and lighter than before, but then again so is the new macbook. Decisions, decisions...

Members don't see this ad.

I have both actually (long story) but suffice it to say I prefer my new macbook over my macbook pro. Here is why:

Performance wise they are almost on par. Unless you are into heavy photoshoping, or video creation the difference in processor speed won't be significant.

Price the MB is cheaper than the pro. More money in your pocket

The top end MB has a backlit keyboard the same as a MBP.

Only real difference is the missing express-card slot (if you don't know what it is then you probably don't need it) and a firewire port. Otherwise all you are paying for is a larger screen size.

The MB is perfect for taking to class, library, starbucks, etc because of it's size. Where as the MBP has an extra 1-2" on each side and while that may not seem like allot it does make a difference when desk space is at a premium.

I chose the MB over the Air because of hard drive space and access to 2 USB ports instead of 1.

Also I would buy max out your ram from Apple instead of going to a 3rd party since Apple's ram is as competitive as other retailers and they install it for you.

Hope this helps....

I have both actually (long story) but suffice it to say I prefer my new macbook over my macbook pro. Here is why:

Performance wise they are almost on par. Unless you are into heavy photoshoping, or video creation the difference in processor speed won't be significant.

Price the MB is cheaper than the pro. More money in your pocket

The top end MB has a backlit keyboard the same as a MBP.

Only real difference is the missing express-card slot (if you don't know what it is then you probably don't need it) and a firewire port. Otherwise all you are paying for is a larger screen size.

The MB is perfect for taking to class, library, starbucks, etc because of it's size. Where as the MBP has an extra 1-2" on each side and while that may not seem like allot it does make a difference when desk space is at a premium.

I chose the MB over the Air because of hard drive space and access to 2 USB ports instead of 1.

Also I would buy max out your ram from Apple instead of going to a 3rd party since Apple's ram is as competitive as other retailers and they install it for you.

Hope this helps....

I agree with all of the above, except what's bolded. I just maxed out my wife's ram on her MB, and it cost me $30/GB from newegg. It took about 15 minutes to install because it was my first time doing it. Oh, also, you'll need a certain screwdriver (~$8).

So just look at the cost of maxing out the ram while ordering. Compare this to third party sites. It would have cost me over $150 from Apple to do what I did for $60, but that was after I already owned the computer. Maybe if you have them do it before you own it, it's cheaper.

But do not skimp on ram. You'll regret it at some point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with all of the above, except what's bolded. I just maxed out my wife's ram on her MB, and it cost me $30/GB from newegg. It took about 15 minutes to install because it was my first time doing it. Oh, also, you'll need a certain screwdriver (~$8).

This is DDR3/PC3-8500 memory for the new MacBooks, or was this for the old MacBooks (DDR2)?

DDR3 memory from Crucial is $140. Newegg's DDR3 memory is $130. Apple is charging $150.

I think you must be talking about the old MacBook.

I had Apple install my memory when I ordered. It was only $10 more than Newegg/Crucial at the time, and with extra shipping, the special screwdriver, and my time involved to change it (granted that would be minimal as it's very easy to do), I decided that Apple's $150 was the better deal.

EDIT: You said originally $30/GB (I missed this), but then said you maxed it out and it cost you $60. 2GB is not the maximum amount of RAM. 4GB is. I'm assuming you must be adding memory to an older MacBook.

This is DDR3/PC3-8500 memory for the new MacBooks, or was this for the old MacBooks (DDR2)?

DDR3 memory from Crucial is $140. Newegg's DDR3 memory is $130. Apple is charging $150.

I think you must be talking about the old MacBook.

I had Apple install my memory when I ordered. It was only $10 more than Newegg/Crucial at the time, and with extra shipping, the special screwdriver, and my time involved to change it (granted that would be minimal as it's very easy to do), I decided that Apple's $150 was the better deal.

EDIT: You said originally $30/GB (I missed this), but then said you maxed it out and it cost you $60. 2GB is not the maximum amount of RAM. 4GB is. I'm assuming you must be adding memory to an older MacBook.

Yes this was an older MB. Sorry, I almost included that caveat, since I knew there was a possibility that, with the newer version, my cost analysis would be inapplicable to the current situation.

Sounds like I would have Apple max it out. :thumbup:

Thanks for the replies. Looks like it's all go for a macbook.

Only real difference is the missing...firewire port.

Wow, I didn't realize this until now. I bet a lot of people are upset. The old MBs have firewire 400, but now, nothing, and firewire was the best way to transfer your old Mac to your new one, I thought. At least my current Mac is backed up to my USB HD, so when I get a new one, it won't matter. Thank you, Time Machine!

Still, though...WTF

Maybe the later versions of the MB will come with firewire ports?

Doubt it since once Apple removes firewire its gone for good. I miss the old days when iPods had firewire support.. oh well USB works too so not that big of a deal

Wow, I didn't realize this until now. I bet a lot of people are upset. The old MBs have firewire 400, but now, nothing, and firewire was the best way to transfer your old Mac to your new one, I thought. At least my current Mac is backed up to my USB HD, so when I get a new one, it won't matter. Thank you, Time Machine!

Still, though...WTF
A "lot" is not accurate. Probably less than 5% need the FireWire port (i.e., they cannot use USB alternatives), and those 5% are very, very vocal about loss of FireWire.

Even many new HD video cameras are available with USB.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I rarely used the firewire port. It is one of those things that is nice to have, but I don't really miss it much when its gone.

I do like the new macbooks. They are pretty sharp. I'm glad they are finally filling in that void for the missing 12 inch powerbook of old.

A "lot" is not accurate. Probably less than 5% need the FireWire port (i.e., they cannot use USB alternatives), and those 5% are very, very vocal about loss of FireWire.

Even many new HD video cameras are available with USB.

Yeah, firewire is super nice to have around, like once every 6 months, for me. If I don't have it, I'll just resort to slower data transfer methods. Guess I'll be selling that white cable on eBay... :rolleyes:

Backing up and reorganizing my eternal HDs helps a lot with Firewire. In that regard, I use it all the time. I use a PC though, so I don't know if that matters in this discussion :D

Backing up and reorganizing my eternal HDs helps a lot with Firewire. In that regard, I use it all the time. I use a PC though, so I don't know if that matters in this discussion :D
almost as useless as a fart in church (at least with that you have something to talk about later.)

Actually Apple will charge you $135 in the ed store if you purchase with the computer. This is probably the only time I will ever recommend purchasing RAM straight from Apple due to all of the problems I have had with OWC RAM this go around.

As for firewire, yeah I have a backup HDD with F800/400/USB. F400 is not that much faster than USB so I haven't noticed much of a difference. F800 I use on my iMac is certainly faster, but that was never available on the MB anyway.

I used to say Pro because they look so darn sexy but now, with the MB and MBP looking similar, I might opt for a MB the next time around to save some $$ and to get a smaller footprint.

The dual graphics cards are nice but well, I don't game.

If you had to write tons of papers and didn't carry the laptop everywhere then I'd say upgrade to the pro. If you are like me, and carry your laptop damn near every day then the regular macbook is a good size. I don't know why anyone would get the 17 inch pro.

If you had to write tons of papers and didn't carry the laptop everywhere then I'd say upgrade to the pro. If you are like me, and carry your laptop damn near every day then the regular macbook is a good size. I don't know why anyone would get the 17 inch pro.

One reason is it's kick ass. I've had my 17" Pro for coming on 5 years now and never had a problem. Dropped a couple of times, too.
Point taken, though, it's big.

You can find some incredible deals on the older MacBook Pro (Apple Outlet, MacMall, etc.).

I just got one for $1200 (normally would have been over $2000) and it's great!

You can find some incredible deals on the older MacBook Pro (Apple Outlet, MacMall, etc.).

I just got one for $1200 (normally would have been over $2000) and it's great!
Yeah... I'm actually trying to sell my old MacBook Pro (got it in may and decided to buy a new macbook... )When I get back to my parents house I'm putting it on craigs list

The only real difference between them is the MacBook Pro has more connection options to A/V equipment, at least from my experience. As people have said, getting a MacBook that is slightly smaller in size is easier to transport around if you don't keep your computer in one location all the time.

The only real difference between them is the MacBook Pro has more connection options to A/V equipment, at least from my experience. As people have said, getting a MacBook that is slightly smaller in size is easier to transport around if you don't keep your computer in one location all the time.

In the past, both had firewire, though the MBP had F800 and the MB had F400. The current MB has no firewire and the MBP still has F800. The only difference port-wise besides firewire now is that the MBP has the ExpressCard slot. So yes, the firewire is important for certain camcorders but other than that, USB is fine.

main difference is the screen quality
MB screen is lower resolution and viewing angles suck compared to the MBP

Really? That's interesting. I always knew my MB's viewing angle range seemed pretty weak, but I didn't know the MBP was better.

I wonder how the new MB compares to the previous generation.

I'd go pro over mc. to me the real estate is vital, but then again I do a lot of excel work.

Really? That's interesting. I always knew my MB's viewing angle range seemed pretty weak, but I didn't know the MBP was better.

I wonder how the new MB compares to the previous generation.

I believe it is improved due to the LED backlight. Some people complain about the blacks, but it improves with calibration. Yes the MBP is much improved over the MB. I have the TN panel on my 20" iMac. Everyone complained when those came out too vs. the iMac 24" that had a higher quality panel.

I'd go pro over mc. to me the real estate is vital, but then again I do a lot of excel work.

This is why God created external displays.

I just took a look at the new MB's...they are gorgeous!!! all this talk about Apples has me wanting to ditch my 4 year old Dell as soon as possible.

Do you guys think the protection plans are worth the price?

I just took a look at the new MB's...they are gorgeous!!! all this talk about Apples has me wanting to ditch my 4 year old Dell as soon as possible.

Do you guys think the protection plans are worth the price?
Oh more than worth the price... earlier this year my 2.5 year old MBP bit the bucket and they replaced it with a brand new one the same day. Apple Care is well worth it.

Oh more than worth the price... earlier this year my 2.5 year old MBP bit the bucket and they replaced it with a brand new one the same day. Apple Care is well worth it.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

(one thumbup for each time my Apple Protection Plan paid for itself five-fold)

If you think about it from an economics standpoint, AppleCare isn't worth it, because Apple has to be profiting off of selling it especially given how hard the salespeople push customers to buy it. However it is worth it if you want the peace of mind, just realize it is money money down the drain if your macbook is stolen, lost, or you break it through misuse/abuse.

If you think about it from an economics standpoint, AppleCare isn't worth it, because Apple has to be profiting off of selling it especially given how hard the salespeople push customers to buy it. However it is worth it if you want the peace of mind, just realize it is money money down the drain if your macbook is stolen, lost, or you break it through misuse/abuse.

I know what you mean. I used to work for Bestbuy a couple holiday seasons ago when protection plans were just getting started. All the guys who pitched the plans like crazy got raises and permanent jobs. I on the other hand, was recommending people to other places where they could find the same things for cheaper because I felt bad about Bestbuy's ridiculous mark ups. :smuggrin: Bestbuy gives a generous employee discount (What they pay + 5% so you can totally tell how much they are ripping people off. The generic brands are the worst, they usually cost 5-10 bucks less than the name brand, but Bestbuy gets them for maybe a tenth of the price.

I think protection plans and accessories have developed into their most profitable products now, much like concessions are the main revenue sources for a movie theater.

I know what you mean. I used to work for Bestbuy a couple holiday seasons ago when protection plans were just getting started. All the guys who pitched the plans like crazy got raises and permanent jobs. I on the other hand, was recommending people to other places where they could find the same things for cheaper because I felt bad about Bestbuy's ridiculous mark ups. :smuggrin: Bestbuy gives a generous employee discount (What they pay + 5% so you can totally tell how much they are ripping people off. The generic brands are the worst, they usually cost 5-10 bucks less than the name brand, but Bestbuy gets them for maybe a tenth of the price.

I think protection plans and accessories have developed into their most profitable products now, much like concessions are the main revenue sources for a movie theater.

For every "I'm glad I got AC" story I've heard, I've know several mac users who have had iBooks for 5 years with few issues, there will obviously be some lemons out there, but thats any expensive product.

The catch I don't like is that it doesn't include user-induced damage to the computer. A MB will get thrown around and you never know if you are going to spill your water or something like that onto the poor computer. If you bought AC then you just ruined the value of the computer plus $250 instead of just the value of the computer, same thing goes for a stolen laptop!

The catch I don't like is that it doesn't include user-induced damage to the computer. A MB will get thrown around and you never know if you are going to spill your water or something like that onto the poor computer. If you bought AC then you just ruined the value of the computer plus $250 instead of just the value of the computer, same thing goes for a stolen laptop!

I sorry, I don't get the ruining value part. I understand that if it gets stolen or what not, you're screwed. My friend bought AC for his ipod touch last year...he is OCD about keeping it in top notch condition. If he scratches it or anything he told me he was gonna stick it in the microwave for a min then take it to the apple store...wonder if that would work with a laptop lol. Kidding! (kind of..)

I sorry, I don't get the ruining value part. I understand that if it gets stolen or what not, you're screwed. My friend bought AC for his ipod touch last year...he is OCD about keeping it in top notch condition. If he scratches it or anything he told me he was gonna stick it in the microwave for a min then take it to the apple store...wonder if that would work with a laptop lol. Kidding! (kind of..)

Well if you spill a large enough amount of water on the computer, it will hard to play it off as some other sort of issue. With some damage you can push it as some other issue, but it won't work everytime.

I think we all (including/especially those of us who recommend AC) understand that AC and similar products at other retailers are profitable for the companies and, on average, will be a waste of money for the consumer.

That being said, you don't need to spill your coffee on your computer to ruin it. The whole purpose of a crazy-thin/light MB/MBP/Air is that you can take it anywhere, put it on your lap, do your work, and shove it back in your backpack, to get thrown around and transported to your next destination. If you don't think that is shortening the life of the delicate internals, you're crazy. There are about a million different things that can go wrong inside your laptop, and if you have it more than a year (the stock warranty period), your chances of putting it to its full use and increasing the likelihood of something going wrong go through the roof.

So you can sit around and say that it's $250 more in Mr. Jobs' pocket, while you pay $500 for a new monitor when it goes out in year 2 (or however much it costs). Personally, I wouldn't buy AC for a desktop computer or my iPod, but I probably will for my upcoming iPhone purchase and wouldn't hesitate for a second to get AC for the next 15+ laptops I buy in my lifetime.

I bought Applecare for my MB for $79 after rebates on ebay. It was $144 to start with then I had 20% discount/cash back then a live.com cash back. So I think I have to wait another month for the live.com cash back but I got my 20% cash back right after the purchase. There are deals out there if you know where to look. (And no tax). I did buy my Applecare for my iMac with the ed discount. FYI, I'm sure you guys know that the education price for Applecare on the MB is $183 plus tax. Also, the iMac is a semi-desktop. If something goes wrong with the components you are going to pay more as most of the things are notebook components and getting inside the thing is no picnic. In fact, it is far easier to do repairs on a MB than the iMac due to the way it is designed.

I think we all (including/especially those of us who recommend AC) understand that AC and similar products at other retailers are profitable for the companies and, on average, will be a waste of money for the consumer.

That being said, you don't need to spill your coffee on your computer to ruin it. The whole purpose of a crazy-thin/light MB/MBP/Air is that you can take it anywhere, put it on your lap, do your work, and shove it back in your backpack, to get thrown around and transported to your next destination. If you don't think that is shortening the life of the delicate internals, you're crazy. There are about a million different things that can go wrong inside your laptop, and if you have it more than a year (the stock warranty period), your chances of putting it to its full use and increasing the likelihood of something going wrong go through the roof.

So you can sit around and say that it's $250 more in Mr. Jobs' pocket, while you pay $500 for a new monitor when it goes out in year 2 (or however much it costs). Personally, I wouldn't buy AC for a desktop computer or my iPod, but I probably will for my upcoming iPhone purchase and wouldn't hesitate for a second to get AC for the next 15+ laptops I buy in my lifetime.

In the long run (i.e. after you go through many computers over the years), you will lose money to AppleCare, especially since the cost of AC is over 20% of the value of the MB.

I am also in a similar situation as the OP between the MB and MBP. I am slightly leaning towards the MBP due to faster processor, more RAM and larger/faster hard drives. One question I have is in regards to the Apple LED Cinema Display. I have thought about getting a monitor for use at home when I need a larger screen for movies and editing videos. But, $899 seems a lot for a monitor even if it is LED. Are there any other options monitor wise, or is this about it for the MBP? On the Apple website they show the laptop open when hooked up with the monitor, anyone know if it is possible to close the top of the laptop and just use a separate keyboard?

I am also in a similar situation as the OP between the MB and MBP. I am slightly leaning towards the MBP due to faster processor, more RAM and larger/faster hard drives. One question I have is in regards to the Apple LED Cinema Display. I have thought about getting a monitor for use at home when I need a larger screen for movies and editing videos. But, $899 seems a lot for a monitor even if it is LED. Are there any other options monitor wise, or is this about it for the MBP? On the Apple website they show the laptop open when hooked up with the monitor, anyone know if it is possible to close the top of the laptop and just use a separate keyboard?

InsomniaX

Though heat comes up from the keyboard so I recommend you don't do anything CPU/GPU intensive. I'm also not sure if this app is compatible with the new MB/MBPs as I haven't used it. Yeah the new displays are expensive. Though it is actually $799 with the ed discount and not $899. I recommend you find the largest cheapest screen you can find though it is difficult finding one with good quality rather than a TN display.

I recommend you find the largest cheapest screen you can find though it is difficult finding one with good quality rather than a TN display.

From my understanding you have to run an Apple monitor with the MacBook's right? There aren't any other after market companies offering a monitor that works?

From my understanding you have to run an Apple monitor with the MacBook's right? There aren't any other after market companies offering a monitor that works?

I run a Dell monitor at work and my Samsung 32" LCD TV at home. Where'd you hear that nonsense from? Get whatever you want, I think...

I run a Dell monitor at work and my Samsung 32" LCD TV at home. Where'd you hear that nonsense from? Get whatever you want, I think...

Ok. I was at Bestbuy over the weekend and that is what one of the sales associates told me. I didn't really have the time or energy to ask why at that time. I am planning on heading to my local Apple store today so hopefully I can get a definitive answer there about it.