Technology Macbook vs. Macbook Pro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Windows is driving me crazy as well.

Update on me: I will probably wait a year or so to get a mac since my current dell is an overheating, slow maniac at times; I'll need to save up for that nice macbook that was suggested earlier. I think the light up keyboard looks nice too.

It's an expensive upgrade for the backlit keyboard, 0.4 GHz, and slightly larger HDD (which can be upgraded to 320 from a third-party for very cheap). If you are waiting anyway though wait for the late summer and get the iPod. Who knows when the MBs will be updated but it is probably going to be the early Fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Weren't the MB just recently updated?\

Edit: just noticed it was last updated in 10/2008 and it seems like they update them every 6-12 months?

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook

Alum MB/15" MBP were updated in October four months ago. White MB and 17" MBP were updated early this year.

They will be updated again in the late summer most likely. For students that is when the best deals can be had due to the iPod deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never cared for that hot pink on Fire Fox. Some of us have "delicate" (OK, older) eyes, you know. Man, that pink is brutal. I'm happy with Safari.

I had to go back to the Apple store to get an Airport Express for my printer (which I still can't get to print :rolleyes:). I saw the kid who sold me my MacBook and noted to him that I was "surprised" that there was no word processing program included in the MacBook. Wound up getting iWork for $39.99. :D

I never cared for that hot pink on Fire Fox. Some of us have "delicate" (OK, older) eyes, you know. Man, that pink is brutal. I'm happy with Safari.

I had to go back to the Apple store to get an Airport Express for my printer (which I still can't get to print :rolleyes:). I saw the kid who sold me my MacBook and noted to him that I was "surprised" that there was no word processing program included in the MacBook. Wound up getting iWork for $39.99. :D
Awesome... I work so much better than Office. But getting it for 39 thats odd, you did get the iWork 09 version right?

Oh and make sure to check out the new version of safari

Awesome... I work so much better than Office. But getting it for 39 thats odd, you did get the iWork 09 version right?

Oh and make sure to check out the new version of safari

Yep...iWork '09. I just emphasized how "disappointed" I was that there wasn't a word processing program on the MacBook. That must have been the hot-button word for somebody, because the next thing I knew, I heard "discount."

So this version of Safari is newer than the one that came on my laptop? I'm outdated already? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep...iWork '09. I just emphasized how "disappointed" I was that there wasn't a word processing program on the MacBook. That must have been the hot-button word for somebody, because the next thing I knew, I heard "discount."

So this version of Safari is newer than the one that came on my laptop? I'm outdated already? :laugh:
You are... but never fear safari is here

Keep in mind the Safari 4 is a beta. So if something screws up you know why. Some people have had issues with Mail not working.
Yea but the problem with Mail was either the growl plugin or the google gears plugin. By removing these you'll be fine from all reports I've seen across the web.

Yeah my problem was because of Growl, which I actually don't use that often, and even less for MAIL than for other things. The nice thing was that the error report, which popped up to tell me that MAIL had crashed, actually noted that GROWL was probably the issue. It wasn't too incovenient, but a bit of an unexpected hassle--such is beta life.

It tells you when "things happen." Like, what kind of "things?" Is this going to be stuff I want to know about or is it going to be annoying crap like Brittney and K-Fed just got back together OMG! Is it real news? Like, I would have been fine with being alerted to the flight landing in the Hudson. I'm not sure I need to know that Michelle Obama has selected a First Dog.

ETA: Believe me, I'm not being deliberately obtuse. This is like learning a new language.

It tells you when "things happen." Like, what kind of "things?" Is this going to be stuff I want to know about or is it going to be annoying crap like Brittney and K-Fed just got back together OMG! Is it real news? Like, I would have been fine with being alerted to the flight landing in the Hudson. I'm not sure I need to know that Michelle Obama has selected a First Dog.

ETA: Believe me, I'm not being deliberately obtuse. This is like learning a new language.

LMAO!

It doesn't tell you "news," but rather it tells you things like when you get a new MAIL message or if you're chatting on Adium and get a new chat message. You can set it to show an adjustably sized window that will display the message you just got (or partially, if it's a long email and you have it set for a small pop up window). You set the color, position, and effect of the window, and how long it will stay on your screen. This may sound a little abstract right now, but it can be very cool/useful, depending on how exactly you use your Mac. You can also use it with iTunes and lots of other programs, though I haven't used it a ton, so I'm not sure what all it can do. I'd say it's worth downloading and playing with, if you use any of the programs it works with.

LMAO!

It doesn't tell you "news," but rather it tells you things like when you get a new MAIL message or if you're chatting on Adium and get a new chat message. You can set it to show an adjustably sized window that will display the message you just got (or partially, if it's a long email and you have it set for a small pop up window). You set the color, position, and effect of the window, and how long it will stay on your screen. This may sound a little abstract right now, but it can be very cool/useful, depending on how exactly you use your Mac. You can also use it with iTunes and lots of other programs, though I haven't used it a ton, so I'm not sure what all it can do. I'd say it's worth downloading and playing with, if you use any of the programs it works with.

I had to laugh when I read this response because my first thought was "What in the Sam Hill is Adium, and why does the answer to every question mean that I have to ask 10 more questions?"

Here's what I gather about Adium: It's some sort of 3rd party "something or other" that supports all of those instant messaging providers. So it's something I don't think I need, because I don't do IM'ing. I only used it once and wound up getting stalked on it--very scary exp. compounded by my stupidity of having given the person my phone number (he seemed like a nice guy after we'd chatted for a while...I know...DUMB!). Never again. So if I don't need that, I'm not so sure I need Growl for now. And I guess right now being so new to Mac in general, maybe I need to learn how to walk before I learn how to run. But I sure is fun listening to you guys talk. And unlike PC'ers, you don't make new users feel stupid. ;)

I am going to update Safari, though. Thanks for the "heads up" on that!

I had to laugh when I read this response because my first thought was "What in the Sam Hill is Adium, and why does the answer to every question mean that I have to ask 10 more questions?"

Here's what I gather about Adium: It's some sort of 3rd party "something or other" that supports all of those instant messaging providers. So it's something I don't think I need, because I don't do IM'ing. I only used it once and wound up getting stalked on it--very scary exp. compounded by my stupidity of having given the person my phone number (he seemed like a nice guy after we'd chatted for a while...I know...DUMB!). Never again. So if I don't need that, I'm not so sure I need Growl for now. And I guess right now being so new to Mac in general, maybe I need to learn how to walk before I learn how to run. But I sure is fun listening to you guys talk. And unlike PC'ers, you don't make new users feel stupid. ;)

I am going to update Safari, though. Thanks for the "heads up" on that!
OH wow so your a girl? For some reason I though you were a guy...

Go to the apple icon in the menubar and run software update then you should be able to install it.

Agree. Run software update. Also, you should go to your Macintosh HD-Applications-Utilities-Disk Utility and then repair permissions before and after doing all of the updates. That keeps things working smoothly.

Agree. Run software update. Also, you should go to your Macintosh HD-Applications-Utilities-Disk Utility and then repair permissions before and after doing all of the updates. That keeps things working smoothly.

Thank you.

I assumed you were female. :shrug: :)

Whew. I was beginning to think I had some sort of gender identification post-style issue or something. Like maybe I needed to insert more hearts, flowers and ponies into my posts just so everyone would be clear. ;)

O.M.G.

The new Safari is awesome. I was just getting accustomed to the old Safari and thought that was amazing, now they blow my hair back with this!

O.M.G.

The new Safari is awesome. I was just getting accustomed to the old Safari and thought that was amazing, now they blow my hair back with this!
Glad you like it... In the blogosphere there is a disgruntled few that want the tabs the way they were on the bottom. And after being with it for a whole week I don't see the problem. I like the tabs on top and the rest of the changes

Whew. I was beginning to think I had some sort of gender identification post-style issue or something. Like maybe I needed to insert more hearts, flowers and ponies into my posts just so everyone would be clear. ;)

A picture of a pink MacBook in your sig should do the trick! :D

I succumbed and installed the Safari beta. It is definitely snappy.

I'm not sure I like the whole tab thing because I'm the kind of guy that has lots and lots of tabs at once.

I'm not sure I like the whole tab thing because I'm the kind of guy that has lots and lots of tabs at once.

I agree for the same reason. Maybe I'll adjust, but I think some of the tab tweaks are :thumbup:, while a few are not so much. I'm still trying to get used to the iPhone-esque refresh button in the address bar...

I agree for the same reason. Maybe I'll adjust, but I think some of the tab tweaks are :thumbup:, while a few are not so much. I'm still trying to get used to the iPhone-esque refresh button in the address bar...

I finally saw the episode in your avatar. Season 5 Episode 11. :) In the last month I've watched Season 1-4, 7, what has been shown so far of season 8, and the first 11 episodes of Season 5. The funny thing about it is that my grades have gone up since then.

I finally saw the episode in your avatar. Season 5 Episode 11. :) In the last month I've watched Season 1-4, 7, what has been shown so far of season 8, and the first 11 episodes of Season 5. The funny thing about it is that my grades have gone up since then.

Of course your grades are higher--think about all the highly technical medical info you pick up while watching SCRUBS, duh!! :D

The next question is: Since you're now an episode expert, what should my next avatar be????

I'm proud to say I made the switch and am posting from my new macbook. Check out macmall for decent deals. This is a switch for me. Just trying to figure out my productivity stuff since I use office frequently and have a windows vpn network that I use to sign charts from home. Any suggestions you seasoned vets have for making my mac rock are welcomed. Lovin' it so far!

Of course your grades are higher--think about all the highly technical medical info you pick up while watching SCRUBS, duh!! :D

The next question is: Since you're now an episode expert, what should my next avatar be????

No!!! I love that avatar. Sometimes I log on here and just watch it for hours and hours. I missed a day of work I was so mesmerized. You can't change it...

All good suggestions, folks. I've considered just a bigger version of my current one, but that might cause fab4fan to lose her job, which would be bad. :(

Hey, not sure if I wanted to start a whole new thread on this...but is it safe to leave my magsafe charger plugged into the wall if it's not plugged into the macbook? For example...if I take my macbook to school, should I disconnect the wall charger every time. I heard it might overheat if you leave it in :confused:

any input from the resident mac experts on here would be nice :D

Thanks!

Hey, not sure if I wanted to start a whole new thread on this...but is it safe to leave my magsafe charger plugged into the wall if it's not plugged into the macbook? For example...if I take my macbook to school, should I disconnect the wall charger every time. I heard it might overheat if you leave it in :confused:

Thanks!

Interesting....

Well, I'm certainly no "expert," but I've had MagSafe since it came out and can say that I often leave the adapters plugged in with no computer hooked up. The white rectangular box part of the cord (whatever it's called) can get somewhat warm, though I'm not sure it gets any warmer than when you have it connected to a computer. Though I wouldn't consider it "hot" or "overheated," certainly.

So, perhaps I'm breaking some sort of MagSafe commandment, but I haven't had any issues with doing this.

Thanks!

I'd say it's fine. Though if you are at school near a plug and you are using your MB you should use it to prolong the lifespan of your battery. Keep your battery cycles to 2-3 a week if possible. You really only have to fully calibrate the battery every 2-3 months. This means you charge fully and leave charged for two hours, then discharge fully and let it sit discharged for five hours. Last, charge fully.

VERY VERY VERY good advice. My original CD (not C2D) macbook has about 630 cycles after 2.5 years of use. I get about 10 mins of battery life now lol. I'm too poor to afford a $100+ battery so I turned it into a desktop with it being plugged in all the time.

VERY VERY VERY good advice. My original CD (not C2D) macbook has about 630 cycles after 2.5 years of use. I get about 10 mins of battery life now lol. I'm too poor to afford a $100+ battery so I turned it into a desktop with it being plugged in all the time.

I'd say you overdid it with using the battery. ;) Though I shouldn't say anything since before my battery died an early death after less than three months (and it was replaced for free) I was up to a little over 70 cycles. I was on track for 700 cycles after 2.5 years. I did learn, since getting my battery replaced, proper battery use. I used the opportunity for a clean slate and I'm hoping this battery should last me for the life of the computer. I also have Applecare for the full three years so perhaps I can argue my case with them if it ever does go south before the three years are up. The battery is in general a consumable item not covered by warranty, but Apple is good about replacing a faulty battery that dies early within certain limits.

I'm curious though. What's your battery capacity in Apple System Profiler?

Last edited:
The new Macbooks would be an easy win for me but the new screens are turning me off. Arrrg, they are too shiny. They are so reflective. I can't stand it, after spending a few hours in the Apple store looking at them. The Macbook Air's screen is not as reflective.

I don't understand why Apple made all their screens reflective and not matte. I know a lot of people were upset because of it. At least give us an option to get matte on the Macbooks. I'd happily pay $50 for it.

And the worse part about laptops are the lousy batteries. I hate only getting 1 hour on my Thinkpad R61.