Program-Specific Info / Q's Major Decision- MOT or MHA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michellem915

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, So I have a bit of a big decision to make and I need some opinions. I applied to OT programs in the Philadelphia area. I was denied from most, however USciences put me on their waitlist and I was accepted into their last open seat today. While on the waitlist, I researched different options and applied and was immediately accepted into Saint Joseph's University's Master of Health Administration program. There is a major pay gap between the two professions (OT avg. 75,000 and MHA avg. 106,000) but OT was my original first choice and I'm worried that I talked myself into Health Administration because I was discouraged about being accepted. I was also thinking that its possible if I don't want to do clinical work forever, I can always go back and get my second masters in administration. I don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

who is going to hire you when you get your MHA? I can walk into pretty much any snf or system and get a job with no experience as an OT where I live.

Only admins I see in rehabs are going to be PT or OT. No MHAs. Maybe on the tippy top part of organization...

If you're really unsure, maybe you should consider taking a year off. After all, they're pretty different fields, other than being in healthcare.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like you're only considering MHA because of the pay.....
Really ask yourself:
-Outside of salary what interests you about MHA?
-Do you know anything at all about MHA?
-Would you be good at it?
-Is it your passion?
- Could you tolerate doing it for the rest of your life or at least a large portion of your life? (This is probably the most important, because there is a limit to how long you can force yourself to tolerate something)

Have you done any shadowing or interviewed with someone who has an MHA? I work in healthcare administration currently while finishing the last of my pre-req's for OT school and everyone who has a salary like you mentioned ($100k+) has had years of work experience and many worked FT during their bachelors. Its a good field to get into but it's far from easy. I second the suggestion of taking some time off before deciding, graduate school is an expensive endeavor to not be sure about.

Reactions: 1 user
Being a MHA will entail pushing paper....

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, So I have a bit of a big decision to make and I need some opinions. I applied to OT programs in the Philadelphia area. I was denied from most, however USciences put me on their waitlist and I was accepted into their last open seat today. While on the waitlist, I researched different options and applied and was immediately accepted into Saint Joseph's University's Master of Health Administration program. There is a major pay gap between the two professions (OT avg. 75,000 and MHA avg. 106,000) but OT was my original first choice and I'm worried that I talked myself into Health Administration because I was discouraged about being accepted. I was also thinking that its possible if I don't want to do clinical work forever, I can always go back and get my second masters in administration. I don't know what to do.

I agree. Grad school is a heavy and important investment that you have to choose wisely and thoughtfully. Let’s not be idealistic about the fields we are interested in. Do lots of research if you need to. I just got into OT school and have been working in healthcare administration full-time for years in some of the top hospitals, while also in school fulfilling my prerequisites for OT school. I don’t have any healthcare degree, in fact, I have a BA in English from undergrad and landed in healthcare administration unexpectedly after graduating as I needed to work right away. MHA degree or not, it is not easy to get to that 100k salary in the field. It takes lots of experience and background knowledge. Unfortunately, this field is also very competitive and it has a lot to do with connections and who you know rather than the degree. Where as OT, you need the degree and you need to be clinically experienced through field work and pass the NBCOT exam. Even some healthcare administration managers I know don’t even have their Masters yet in the field, but they have the work experience and connections. Many just do it online and that's sufficient. The MHA degree is good to have, but it doesn’t guarantee you the 100k salary practically speaking. And especially not right away. I chose OT because I’m passionate about the field and want to work with patients on a clinical level. I am not about the desk job, even though I’m good at it and have had great experiences doing it as well. I’ve declined management level positions just so I can remain in school trying to get into OT school. Luckily, I got in at the first try, but it’s all through a feeling of hope and passion for it. It’s all about what you truly want and see yourself doing. I really hope it works out for you, no matter what you decide!

Reactions: 2 users
I've done a whole bunch of research on both fields, and the average salary outcomes from the last five years of the program that I was accepted to is just over six figures. I got the statistical info from the head program director. I like both fields, even if working in administration entails paperwork. The OT program I was accepted to costs almost 4x as much as the MHA program, so with the debt that I would acquire from completing the OT program, I would put my entire salary into paying back my student loans whereas I could live comfortably with working in administration. And as far as getting a job, every hospital, clinic, private practice, pharmaceutical company, insurance companies and even some government agencies need health administrators, so there's no lack of places to look for a job. Also, the field is expected to grow almost 29% in the next decade. So its a really viable option as an alternative to clinical work. Also, I work as a CMA so I do have clinical experience in a hospital.

ok, you've convinced us that the MHA is a viable option with high-demand and ease of getting hired after graduation.

at this point, salary and cost of education should not come into the equation. yeah, these are important, but not when you're still comparing apples (MHA) and oranges (OT). think about it, you will either be eating apples for the next 20 years, or oranges for the next 20 years. either way, you will have good job security and get paid well enough to live. what can you see yourself "eating" every day? how satisfied will you be? how fulfilled? what talents do you have and are most comfortable with?

the point is, don't choose the profession based on money. they are both viable options in terms of livable salary so it's not really a factor. choose based on what you can envision yourself doing EVERY DAY. that's your time. how do you want to spend it? you will be miserable if you only choose based on money. take your time to think about it. it's a big decision.

oh, and if it so behooves you, you can make $100k in OT right off the bat by

-moving/working in an in-demand area, like Las Vegas, Texas, or some rural areas all over the country
-working in certain settings like a SNF
-picking up PRN in addition to your full time, or
-doing travel therapy.

Salary info was gathered from job fairs I've attended the last few months on the west coast.

just some ideas!