1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Major Problem

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by DMD2BE1122, Jul 25, 2006.

1. DMD2BE1122

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Whats Up.

Listen I already took the DAT before and when I did take it I completely bombed the G chem section. I started studying again and have been through the kaplan book twice and I AM STILL STRUGGLING WITH IT. Limiting Reagents and Acid base is killing. Stochemotry is also killing me. Any adive cause the more problems I do is just making me more mad cause I CANT GET THESE PROBLEMS RIGHT. I took top score g chem test and got a 15 on it. Its not normal. How can i get a 21 on the ochem section but bomb the gchem section.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    if you're having troubles still, then whip out the textbook or consult a graduate ta at your school. the topics you're struggling with are among the easiest in gchem and can be easily cleared up with practice.

jb!

4. Arsenalista

Arsenalista Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    use a general chemistry textbook - it's the best resource you can possibly have. and then practice, practice, practice. :thumbup:

5. grapeflavorsoda

grapeflavorsoda Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

buy EK 1001 gchem book for mcat.

it is all passage-independent, and it is meant to boost your understanding of gchem material itself.

textbook is always a good option.

6. dontbam

dontbam Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    just give up because if you can't do gchem then you don't belong in dental school and you don't deserve to have passed your freshman chem classes...haha no just kidding :)

yeah like the guy above, exam krackers is pretty good for GChem, i recommend it too

7. dental#1

dental#1 Fla DDS
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If you are haveing trouble there is a program called Chem Skill builder. It is great! I'll give you a quick example of the limiting rxn:

a) 3 moles of C2H2 were ALLOWED to react with 10 moles of O2:

2C2H2 + 5O2 --> 4CO2 + 2H20

What is the limiting reagent?

NEED Available

C2H2/O2= 2mol/5mol=.4 C2H2/O2=3mol/10mol=.3

Since you need .4C2H2 and only have .3C2H2 C2H2 that is your limiting reagent. If you invert the reactants you will see that you have more O2 than you need!

Now it may ask you for a theoretical yield of CO2 if it does use the limiting reagent C2H2 available to start:

(3molC2H2)(4molCO2/2molC2H2)(MWCO2)=theo in (g)

then you can take that # to get the % yield if asked.
    For exp: The problem would say the actual yield was only 2.5g

Actual/Theo*100%= %yield

Hope this helps!

8. dental#1

dental#1 Fla DDS
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental