Make sure I'm not crazy (either way), Mayo Medical School Vs. UC San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mayo Vs. UCSD

• Mayo Clinic is the better choice.

Votes: 136 70.1%
  • UCSD is the better choice.

Votes: 58 29.9%

• Total voters

pyrois

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently in an interesting dilemma.

For the past few weeks, I've been pretty sold on Mayo Clinic, but as April 15th approaches (final decision day for Mayo), so do the stakes.

So here's the low-down. I'm from CA. I eventually want to match back into CA. Weather doesn't bother me. Location doesn't bother me.

Statistically, UCSD matches a LOT of people back into CA. Mayo Clinic does not. If I do not have as good a chance of matching back into CA from Mayo Clinic, it may be in my best interests to attend UCSD.

Problematically, the match lists don't reveal an untold story. The majority of people who go to medical school, simply match back "home" for residency. For CA residents, like the majority of UCSD's matriculants, that's CA. For Mayo students, that's all over the place. Hence, even though Mayo doesn't match many people back into CA, it could simply be that not that many people at Mayo are from CA (on average 0.5 students/year:p).

My sister and her fiance, both attending Stanford Med, and both just recently matching into UCSF (today!) for internal medicine and orthopedics respectively, have advised me to go to UCSD, because it is ranked higher and better known in CA. On the other hand, their knowledge of medical schools outside of CA is extremely limited, and they have never visited of Mayo Clinic (in fact they didn't even know Mayo Clinic had a medical school before I was accepted).

Please let me know what you folks think. Am I crazy for taking Mayo? Am I crazy for taking UCSD? Am I not really crazy but making a tough decision between two relatively equal schools corresponding to my goals?

Members don't see this ad.

what about your "fit" at both schools? they are quite different programs.

what about your "fit" at both schools? they are quite different programs.

In terms of fit, I was very honest at my interviews at both programs, and I was told on the phone that each school respectively thought I was a great match for their programs.

And I tend to agree. In terms of UCSD's "rigorous" program with constant tests, I'm currently taking 6 courses at Berkeley (5 difficult techs, 1 psych course) and, despite having an average of 3 midterms/week, I'm not stressed or upset in any way (possibly also because my grades don't matter that much now:p). I think I would be very happy and would excel with UCSD's program.

On the other hand, I think Mayo Medical School's training methods are equivalently well matched to my own preferences. I think I will enjoy the small class size and the seamless connection between clinic and classroom.

So, in answer to your question, despite both schools being very different, I would be very happy at either in terms of training methods. Were it any other way, I would have long since withdrawn from one of the schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo is very well known... and the truth is, you can get anywere from any school in the end. If you like Mayo better - go there. Personally this wouldn't even be a choice for me. Small class size... Mayo clinic as a playground... this is one of those cases where US news ranking means absolutely nothing. If you really like Mayo - than this is the place to go...

Mayo is very well known... and the truth is, you can get anywere from any school in the end. If you like Mayo better - go there. Personally this wouldn't even be a choice for me. Small class size... Mayo clinic as a playground... this is one of those cases where US news ranking means absolutely nothing. If you really like Mayo - than this is the place to go...

I believe that you will get priority for a CA match as long as you keep your CA residency while in medical school-- which you should be able to do while attending Mayo.

That said, I voted for Mayo. Mayo's class sizes and culture seem more conducive to a more "humane" med school eperience than UCSD. And while I know you mentioned above that all those tests won't stress you out, I wonder if you might be feeling slightly less chipper by the end of Year 2. :p

Thanks for your thoughts. Essentially what's going to happen this weekend is that my family is going to get together for dinner to celebrate the match, and we're going to be laying down arguments for and against Mayo and UCSD (since I need to decide by April 15th if I want to matriculate at Mayo). I believe I will need all the ammunition I can get to keep Mayo afloat, since nobody else in my family has ever visited Mayo (or Rochester for that matter).

In the end, I'll have the final say, but I'm also a rather rational individual, and if I am convinced that UCSD is truly the better way to go to achieve my goals, then that's the way my vote will be cast.

I believe that you will get priority for a CA match as long as you keep your CA residency while in medical school-- which you should be able to do while attending Mayo.

You have a good point. What I'm truly interested in though is if people at Mayo who have wanted to match back into CA in the past, were able to with relative (compared with UCSD) ease.

Frankly, I have lots of speculative arguments, but considering that the match list they gave me when I went had a total of 0 (zero) people matching back into CA, it was somewhat disgruntling (not that they matched into bad places, somebody went to Harvard, someone to Yale, lots back into Mayo, and other rather prestigious places outside of CA).

Mayo may have a famous name, but is it famous to CA residency directors? I assumed so before, but considering that my sister and her fiance barely knew of it is infusing some doubt in me.

In all honesty, with the way my sister has been performing, it's people like her who may end up being a residency director, hence I value her opinion even if it is due to a lack of information (residency directors are not necessarily all-knowing, especially ones in places like CA given the "nothing exists outside of CA" mentality that many Californians have).

I'm biased since I'm reading Hot Lights, Cold Steel (which pretty much takes place at Mayo Clinic) but just from what I've heard (I have absolutely no experience with either school, so take my advice lightly), Mayo is a tremendous place and you will most likely have better opportunitties there. The fact of the matter is that your chances of returning to CA will decrease if you go to Mayo, but honestly, it's hard to tell what you'll want in 4 years, and my gut feeling is that Mayo Clinic will help you match where you want into what program you want just a little better than UCSD.

With that said, congratulations to you. Both schools will give you a great education. You have a great dilemma (hope that's not an oxymoron) and best of luck with your decision.
-Dr. P.

P.S.: I just thought of something: cost! Wait and see if Mayo gives you any financial aid packages. I wouldn't blame you if you went to UCSD simply because Mayo didn't give you any financial aid.

I'll restore the post here after more people have voted.

P.S.: I just thought of something: cost! Wait and see if Mayo gives you any financial aid packages. I wouldn't blame you if you went to UCSD simply because Mayo didn't give you any financial aid.

Please assume, for the purposes of this post that both schools would be 100% free. This is, of course, not the case, but I don't want money to play a major factor in my decision for a number of reasons I will reveal after more people have posted.

(I'm not saying this because I'm wealthy. Quite the contrary, but I want the responses to be purely merit-based).

Pyrois, won't many factors change for you in the next few days with the additional possibility of Harvard? Perhaps Mayo vs. UCSD will become a moot debate...

Pyrois, won't many factors change for you in the next few days with the additional possibility of Harvard? Perhaps Mayo vs. UCSD will become a moot debate...

Well, I was one of the "login failed" folks from the Harvard thread. I've assumed either waitlist or rejection. To be honest, I wouldn't have made this post until after I received confirmation of my status at Harvard (because I certainly don't want to waste people's time), but this weekend is the last weekend before April 15th that my whole family will be together, so I will be making my decision on Mayo or UCSD prior to hearing back from any other schools.

Certainly, if by some stroke of wild luck, I am accepted into Harvard (doubtful since I'm not in their financial aid system), this debate may be moot, but this weekend will be my last chance to talk with my folks about this.

I'm hope I don't seem selfish by asking this putatively prematurely, it's just that it's my last chance to gather information from my peers about each school before I will be making a decision. I hope that this discussion may be of use in the future to other applicants (I tried searching for another post on this particular comparison and couldn't find one).

Good luck making your decision! I vote for wherever you think you'd be most happy. If you do well at either school, I'm sure you'll have no problem matching into a good California residency. Also, while I think it's important to get your family members' opinions, I hope that ultimately you make the decision yourself, even if it may not be the prevailing choice among your folks. You don't want to blame your parents or sister years down the road for dictating your life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also for Mayo, with such a small n for that match list you may have seen, it's possible no one even wanted to match in CA (virtually no Californians actually come to Mayo, so the reverse may also be true by choice). I would think that Mayo grads can go anywhere if they do well in school and get good letters of rec. Even if the name-brand recognition is not super high in CA, residency directors will still be able to tell from your app that you've had superb clinical training and amazing board scores (don't forget Mayo's ridiculously high average). Mayo won't limit you.

Problematically, the match lists don't reveal an untold story. The majority of people who go to medical school, simply match back "home" for residency. For CA residents, like the majority of UCSD's matriculants, that's CA. For Mayo students, that's all over the place. Hence, even though Mayo doesn't match many people back into CA, it could simply be that not that many people at Mayo are from CA (on average 0.5 students/year:p).

Exactly. Mayo's extremely small class size and the fact that residency spots at the clinic are highly coveted make reading Mayo's match penetrance even more difficult. Harvard, Hopkins, Mayo, etc. are highly desirable for both medical school and residency, so it is only natural that a fair percentage of the graduates from each instutition stay put. At a school with 100+ people, there is still a huge number of students that will have to match outside their own system. You can spot trends even taking into account the influence of the "home" factor you mention above. Mayo retains ~40%. In a peak year (say all 42 graduating) roughly only 25 will seek outside spots. Between the home factor and the natural diversity of interests/goals, seeing any overarching trends even over broad spans of time is almost impossible.

If you want to return to CA, I doubt you will have a problem. Attending a CA school can stack the odds in your favor, but as with everything in this wretched process, nothing is certain.

Also for Mayo, with such a small n for that match list you may have seen, it's possible no one even wanted to match in CA (virtually no Californians actually come to Mayo, so the reverse may also be true by choice).

I'm hoping that is the case. I guess I'm a rather unique CA applicant, as I don't really give much sway to the "weather" factor. Although I've been a CA resident since I was 1, I've lived for months in areas of extreme heat and extreme cold. I can't stand the heat, but the cold is no problem:p

Also, good luck with Harvard, join the navy, I'm rootin' for ya!

Also, while I think it's important to get your family members' opinions, I hope that ultimately you make the decision yourself, even if it may not be the prevailing choice among your folks. You don't want to blame your parents or sister years down the road for dictating your life.

Great advice! That's essentially been my credo for this application cycle. I'm fortunate enough to have parents and a sibling who greatly respect the decisions I make for myself. They will fight as hard as they can for what they believe, but if, after hearing their opinions, I still disagree, they will support me 100% and let go of their past arguments.

I'm going to give my opinion on Mayo which is biased, but in weird ways (for Mayo Clinic, against Mayo Medical school). I am currently an employee at Mayo and have parents who have worked here for years. I am also applying to med schools for matriculation in 2007 (I applied to Mayo and was rejected pre-interview). I graduated in 2005.

Here is the my perception of Mayo Clinic: The clinic is an amazing place. The people are wonderful and snobbery is almost non-existant. The sense of camaderie between MDs is special and unique. They purposefully seek out MDs for residency and employment who are humble and excited by the opportunity to work at Mayo - many (1/3rd) are foreign and most of the rest come from state and lesser known med schools.

The dirt on the med school: The medical students and the school are generally looked upon unfavorably. For some reason Mayo seems to seek out very religious (and often, from the ones I have met, intolerant) students. For example, I was talking to a friend who is in his 1st year who said that several students walked out of a presentation about gays and lesbians during some sex week they had. If you ask the current residents what they think about the students and school, they will first say "small" and then, if you pry, will mention the religiosity. Also, Rochester has very little to offer. I was encouraged by my parents to apply here (low cost - would have been nice) and did so with hesistation. Obviously, nobody likes being rejected, but I felt some releif when I was because it would have been a horrible fit for me.

Now, I know nothing about UCSD, but I hope my Mayo insight helps.

For some reason Mayo seems to seek out very religious (and often, from the ones I have met, intolerant) students. For example, I was talking to a friend who is in his 1st year who said that several students walked out of a presentation about gays and lesbians during some sex week they had.

Thanks so much for your information! Your insight has definitely given me a different perspective on the students I may meet there.

Then again, maybe all Mayo's Medical School needs is a few more Berkeley grads like myself walking their halls:) I'll be sure to convert a few conservatives to the liberal side:p If there's anything I'm intolerant about, it's intolerance:p

Is that your only complaint though? The religiosity of the school? I think I can handle that.

For the past few weeks, I've been pretty sold on Mayo Clinic, but as April 15th approaches (final decision day for Mayo), so do the stakes.

So here's the low-down. I'm from CA. I eventually want to match back into CA. Weather doesn't bother me. Location doesn't bother me.

Statistically, UCSD matches a LOT of people back into CA. Mayo Clinic does not. If I do not have as good a chance of matching back into CA from Mayo Clinic, it may be in my best interests to attend UCSD.

My sister and her fiance, both attending Stanford Med, and both just recently matching into UCSF (today!) for internal medicine and orthopedics respectively, have advised me to go to UCSD, because it is ranked higher and better known in CA. On the other hand, their knowledge of medical schools outside of CA is extremely limited, and they have never visited of Mayo Clinic (in fact they didn't even know Mayo Clinic had a medical school before I was accepted).

Please let me know what you folks think. Am I crazy for taking Mayo? Am I crazy for taking UCSD? Am I not really crazy but making a tough decision between two relatively equal schools corresponding to my goals?

Mayo matched 5 or 6 yo California this year (match was today)
1 at UCSF, 1 at stanford, 1 at UC san diego, 1 at Pacific Hospitals, 1 at UCLA

Thats quite a few, considering almost all of them are not from CA. The thing with Mayo is... you have an opportunity to match at incredible places. The match list year is just that........incredible. People matched into super competitive specialities at all big name programs.

Mayo matched 5 or 6 yo California this year (match was today)
1 at UCSF, 1 at stanford, 1 at UC san diego, 1 at Pacific Hospitals, 1 at UCLA

Thank you SO MUCH! You can't even begin to understand what an enormous relief that is to me:p I always believed that Mayo students could match into CA if they wanted to, but without any concrete precedence, it's hard to hang onto that faith.

That's also a ridiculous percentage of a single Mayo class to head westward.

Even if the name-brand recognition is not super high in CA, residency directors will still be able to tell from your app that you've had superb clinical training and amazing board scores (don't forget Mayo's ridiculously high average).

All top schools advertise that their step 1 averages fall in the mid-230s, so I don't think that would be an issue. Mayo was what, 238 last year? There's not that much of a difference to matter.

There are no priorities in the match.

To the OP: I go to UCSD and like it. But you should not have difficulty matching in CA if you go to Mayo. If you think it is a better fit for you, and have done your research well, it would be a good choice.

For some reason Mayo seems to seek out very religious (and often, from the ones I have met, intolerant) students. For example, I was talking to a friend who is in his 1st year who said that several students walked out of a presentation about gays and lesbians during some sex week they had.

This information is rather distressing to my poor liberal, heathen heart. owenmichael or any other current Mayo students, can you comment?

Yes, that is the only negative thing I have about the students. Rochester doesn't have much to offer, but you said you don't care about location so that won't be a problem. Also, I personally think that May-Sept/Oct in this area is really quite beautiful. After being away for several years I enjoyed it last year. And, like I said, the clinic itself is wonderful. Also, that is a pretty impressive match list that just got posted. I actually know a 4th year from CA (very cool/smart person, don't know where she did undergrad). She likes it here - but perhaps she's one of the 5 or 6 going back to CA.

*removed quoted text since the poster removed his post*

From what I observed, Mayo students (and the acceptees I'm now meeting in the other thread!) are very mentally strong. You could throw almost anything at them and they will respond not only positively, but quickly and effectively. I wonder if one took a class of Mayo students and put them in UCSD, if they wouldn't simply adapt to the situation and be happy there as well.

Not saying that people at UCSD are "complainers" by any means. But many attendees may have chosen UCSD for the location and the weather, expecting a better life than actually exists there (no time to enjoy the weather and location maybe:p).

Then again, that's pure speculation:p It really could just be hell over there:)

where can you find a school's average step 1 scores?

I am also interested to hear the current med school's opinion on the students here...I have heard that the 2nd years are worse than the 1st years. Also, it's possible that I've only talked to jaded people (or people who thought they were making me feel better by saying I wouldn't have fit here anyway...I too am a very liberal chap).

Yes, that is the only negative thing I have about the students. Rochester doesn't have much to offer, but you said you don't care about location so that won't be a problem. Also, I personally think that May-Sept/Oct in this area is really quite beautiful. After being away for several years I enjoyed it last year. And, like I said, the clinic itself is wonderful. Also, that is a pretty impressive match list that just got posted. I actually know a 4th year from CA (very cool/smart person, don't know where she did undergrad). She likes it here - but perhaps she's one of the 5 or 6 going back to CA.

That's good to hear:) To be honest, I think I would enjoy a taste of true multi-season weather. The mindless flux of warm to rainy/warm over here in CA is almost numbing at times. Sometimes I jog at night during the winter with a t-shirt and shorts because I need the bite of some cold air to keep things interesting:)

(or people who thought they were making me feel better by saying I wouldn't have fit here anyway...I too am a very liberal chap).

:( I'm sad to hear you didn't get in. If I end up going, I could use a liberal friend like you to back me up:)

are there lots of married students in the med school? More than average? That's my impression- but I really have no clue.

That's actually one of the things that's amazing about Mayo's class size. Even Stanford (80 people) doesn't achieve quite the same effect.

With just 34/42 students per year, it's not as if the year has it's own "personality" and that I will become assimilated into it, but I feel as if I would be an essential and unique part of the year's personality.

Yikes, owenmichael deleted both of his posts.

I guess those MS2s really are to be feared. :scared:

haha. I better keep a low-profile. We live in a small community - I wouldn't want to be discovered.
However, he was telling to truth (and also speaking favorably about the mix of students), so I don't see any reason to hide.

That's kinda freaky. I've long since blown my cover. All the new Mayo folk know exactly who I am from the facebook group:)

So what did Owenmicheal say? Why did he delete it? Was he scared of reprisal?

I'm a Christian, but as an older non-trad I am of the opinion folks need to mind their own business. Who cares who they sleep with?

Send me a PM it folks are scared to go public.

Mayo is top of my list (along with DCOM and most of Texas)

So what did Owenmicheal say? Why did he delete it? Was he scared of reprisal?

I'm a Chrsitian, but as an older non-trad I am of the opinion folks need to mind their own business. Who cares who they sleep with?

Send me a PM it folks are scared to go public.

Mayo is top of my list (along with DCOM and most of Texas)

hahah no no I should have PM'ed them instead of posting. I probably shouldn't make generalizations that I have heard public, thats all!
Let me just assure you that (are I really believe alot more so than other schools) our classes are awesome and click very well. The student body (after interviewee's meet them) is usually a huge draw to come to Mayo. I just can't think of a person in my class who isn't humble or is pretentious... and who isn't chill and fun as a hell to hang out with.

ps - I'm workin on gettin an electronic match list

thanks, the match list would be great help:)

hi pyrois - first off congrats again on mayo, i just got my reject his morning, so i am no longer entertaining the possibility that i might end up there... anyhow, i have two comments to add to this discussion...

from the quick impression i got from you when we were at mayo, and from your posts above, i think you will do great at UCSD. You are obviously able to handle A LOT when it comes to school work (likely lecture based classes in undergrad, i would assume) and UCSD is well know for just that, cramming A LOT down your throat in the old fashioned lecture style of teaching... so my thought is that you can be a standout at UCSD

1that said, mayo is mayo, i love california and and I want to match here come residency time, and i would go to mayo in a heartbeat if i was faced with your choice, because, as others said, you go to mayo, you can match pretty much wherever you want

so... i think, assuming all goes well, that you will be able to get a residency in california 4 years from now, or at least, i doubt one school will give you an advantage by much for a cali residency... so, assuming that what do you want to do?

1. go to mayo - THE MAYO - and live in a small tight knit group and get clinical experience at an amazing hospital, etc, and get all the perks that come with mayo (i am aware of your $ situation there) plus the rotations in az/fl, etc, also the curriculum is the new kind, so less lecture, etc, and remember that you have to go to class every day because they will no when you are gone!

2. go to ucsd - given your work ethic, ability to handle a lot of school, you may do really well at UCSD, it is in cali and yes location is great, tru though that you wont have all the time in the world to enjoy it, as far as lectures, they are either webcasted or podcasted or both, i dont remember, and if you are an independant learner you can miss a lot of lecture and study on your own

that is what your situation looks like to me, if i were you I would take mayo, but i am not you, so, good luck with your decision!

Pyrois, from reading your posts, it's pretty obvious you want to go to Mayo but feel like you "should" go to UCSD. Don't live your life by what you "should" do. I know it's hard to turn down a cali school but you really can't go wrong with Mayo.

First things first - i'm not going to take time to format this, but here is the match list for Mayo this year (names deleted):

Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania Ortho Surgery
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

University of California, Davis Medical Center Family Practice/OB
Sacramento, California

Cleveland Clinic Foundation Dermatology
Cleveland, Ohio

Exempla St. Joseph Hospital Family Practice
Denver, Colorado

Carolinas Medical Center Orthopaedic Surgery
Charlotte, North Carolina

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education Pediatrics
Rochester, Minnesota

Allina Family Residency Program Family Medicine
St. Paul, Minnesota

St. Mary’s Hospital Family Medicine
Grand Junction, Colorado

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education Internal Medicine
Rochester, Minnesota

St. Francis Hospital Transitional
Evanston, Illinois

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education Ophthalmology
Rochester, Minnesota

University of Utah Affiliated Hospitals Obstetrics-Gynecology
Salt Lake City, Utah

University of Michigan Hospitals Psychiatry
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education Obstetrics-Gynecology
Rochester, Minnesota

Baystate Medical Center Emergency Medicine
Springfield, Massachusetts
University of Arizona Affiliated Hospitals Emergency Medicine
Tucson, Arizona

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education Surgery - Preliminary
Rochester, Minnesota

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education Neurosurgery
Rochester, Minnesota

Gundersen Lutheran Medical Foundation Transitional
La Crosse, Wisconsin

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education Anesthesiology
Rochester, Minnesota

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education Orthopaedic Surgery
Rochester, Minnesota

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education Pediatrics
Rochester, Minnesota

SAUSHEC-Brooke Army Medical Center Pediatrics
Ft. Sam Houston, Texas

USAF Regional Hospital Family Medicine
Eglin Air Force Base, Florida

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education Otolaryngology
Rochester, Minnesota

University of California, San Francisco Family Practice
San Francisco, California

Sparrow Hospital Emergency Medicine
Lansing, Michigan

Virginia Commonwealth University Health Systems Anesthesiology
Richmond, Virginia

Brigham and Women’s Hospital Internal Medicine
Boston, Massachusetts

UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School Pediatrics
Newark, New Jersey

New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia Campus) Pediatric Neurology
New York, New York

California Pacific Medical Center Internal Medicine
San Francisco, California

John Hopkins Hospital Internal Medicine
Baltimore, Maryland

Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center Pediatrics
Cincinnati, Ohio

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education Family Medicine
Rochester, Minnesota

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education Surgery-Preliminary
Rochester, Minnesota

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education Neurosurgery
Rochester, Minnesota

University of Chicago Medical Center Otolaryngology
Chicago, Illinois

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education Internal Medicine
Rochester, Minnesota

Gundersen Lutheran Medical Foundation General Surgery
La Crosse, Wisconsin

University Hospital-Cincinnati Internal Medicine-Preliminary
Cincinnati, Ohio

Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center Radiology-Diagnostic
Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Massachusetts General Hospital Orthopaedic Surgery/
Boston, Massachusetts Harvard Combined

John Hopkins University/Sinai Hospital of Baltimore Internal Medicine-Preliminary
Baltimore, Maryland

Temple University Hospital Physical Medicine &
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Rehabilitation

Gundersen Lutheran Medical Foundation Transitional
La Crosse, Wisconsin

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education Anesthesiology
Rochester, Minnesota

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education Oral and Maxillofacial
Rochester, Minnesota Surgery

Stanford University Programs Pediatrics
Palo Alto, California

Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education Oral and Maxillofacial
Rochester, Minnesota Surgery

Looks like many Mayo grads stay in town for residency. You can't really blame them. I've heard the programs are excellent and scut is virtually non-existant.

Next - some comments from a MS1 at Mayo...(obviously biased because I'm here!)

Yes we have a small class size - for some people that may not be a good thing, for others it's a real benefit. One great thing is because the medical school is small there are endless shadowing opportunities and you actually get to work with the attendings. Every single one of us has already scrubbed into at least one surgery and have had numerous patient experiences in other fields. Larger medical schools do not have the capacity a lot of the time to allow students (esp 1st year) to be in the clinics and gain that experience.

If, however, you are from a large UG (like Berkeley), there will be an adjustment to going to such an intimate learning environment. As far as "religiosity" I guess I haven't heard that from anyone but there are a couple people in my class that are definitely conservative and highly religious, but there are also people who are very liberal and atheist/agnostic (or various religions.) Diversity is something Mayo strives for in their student population - and they also stress it in our education. Personally I think a couple individuals are a little more narrow-minded than I am but I wouldn't say their intolerant...and no, no one walked out of our sexual medicine class from what I remember. Rochester and the Mayo Clinic in general is more conservative than California, however, I will definitely say that! I do miss Davis and SF, especially the people, but it's a sacrifice I would make again for the education I am getting here.

Hmmm...what other questions did you have? Someone mentioned married students - there are 9/42 of us that are married I think (1st year class). Others are in long term relationships too, but I would say around 1/2 or so are single/dating status.

So to the OP - I encourage you to consider your family's opinions as they are important, but also spend some QT w/ your decision and deciding what you want your next 4 years to be like. If you have questions you can PM me. I am not familiar with UCSD except for the would-of-mouth from UC Davis medical students was that it was a rigorous program with a lot of busy work and detail memorization and students were miserable. I have no idea how accurate that is though!!! I can guarantee the weather would be 500x better in SD. Perhaps you should talk to some residency directors in programs you are considering and see what their take on Mayo grads is. They constantly tell us "you will be able to go where ever you want to after graduating from Mayo" but no one can guarantee you'd match back into California. :) (although no one could guarantee that if you go to UCSD either.) Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to give my opinion on Mayo which is biased, but in weird ways (for Mayo Clinic, against Mayo Medical school). I am currently an employee at Mayo and have parents who have worked here for years. I am also applying to med schools for matriculation in 2007 (I applied to Mayo and was rejected pre-interview). I graduated in 2005.

Here is the my perception of Mayo Clinic: The clinic is an amazing place. The people are wonderful and snobbery is almost non-existant. The sense of camaderie between MDs is special and unique. They purposefully seek out MDs for residency and employment who are humble and excited by the opportunity to work at Mayo - many (1/3rd) are foreign and most of the rest come from state and lesser known med schools.

The dirt on the med school: The medical students and the school are generally looked upon unfavorably. For some reason Mayo seems to seek out very religious (and often, from the ones I have met, intolerant) students. For example, I was talking to a friend who is in his 1st year who said that several students walked out of a presentation about gays and lesbians during some sex week they had. If you ask the current residents what they think about the students and school, they will first say "small" and then, if you pry, will mention the religiosity. Also, Rochester has very little to offer. I was encouraged by my parents to apply here (low cost - would have been nice) and did so with hesistation. Obviously, nobody likes being rejected, but I felt some releif when I was because it would have been a horrible fit for me.

That's ridiculous. I met many many Mayo students and talked with them at length - never had the impression you talk of. I think you're just sour since you were rejected pre-interview. I was rejected in the end too, but I can still be honest that the medical school is amazing as are the students.

:) Good luck with your decision Pyrois. Be sure to let us all know your final selection.

One more comment on the mayo match...everyone matched, no one had to scramble. Yes, a lot of people choose to stay at Mayo...mostly because it's hard to leave if it's a good program in your field and you are happy here. But again, as others have said, the recognition of the medical school in CA programs may not be as good as the CA med schools...

I have to agree that Mayo Medical School is generally looked down upon. JHH and BWH for internal medicine is not exactly competitive, you know?;)