2023-2024 UC San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It doesn’t seem like UCSD rejects anyone post-interview cause I’ve haven’t seen a post-interview rejection reported
Actually, UCSD has one of the lowest post-II acceptance rates according to admit.org (33%) and the infamous Google Excel sheet (37%). I think people are simply not reporting R's.

Reactions: 4 users
I got a call but couldn’t hear anything.. but got the A email a few mins later! LETS GOO! Literally crying.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If UCSD’s waiting list is unranked, how do they choose which people to offer admission to first if spots open up?

A lot of schools will replace the demographic that dropped, ie stats urm/orm. Others will reevaluate the applicants after April 30th

Reactions: 1 user
If UCSD’s waiting list is unranked, how do they choose which people to offer admission to first if spots open up?
They most certainly have a rank behind the scenes. I highly doubt they just pick at random, and out of all the people on the WL, they only consider those who send a LOI in April.

• Dislike
They most certainly have a rank behind the scenes. I highly doubt they just pick at random, and out of all the people on the WL, they only consider those who send a LOI in April.
Most school who do unranked do it by demographics and stats, you definitely do not need to send an LOI.

Wait so if I understand previous posts correctly, UCSD doesn't send out Rs after interviews? It's either A or WL and the later on you might get the R if you don't get off the waitlist?

still waiting for an II/R/Pre-II hold LOLOLOL

Wait so if I understand previous posts correctly, UCSD doesn't send out Rs after interviews? It's either A or WL and the later on you might get the R if you don't get off the waitlist?
UCSD does send out post-interview Rs. They also don't reject people off of the WL until their school begins.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@nerdthebird another question for you.
I see in your signature the following:
Apps complete: 26 | Pre-II R: 18 | II: 4 | Post-II R: 3 | WL: 0 | A: 0
LM 74.5 | CASPer Q1 | Last updated 1-Mar

What does Pre-II R, II, Post-II R, WL, A mean for a newbie to this process?

@nerdthebird another question for you.
I see in your signature the following:
Apps complete: 26 | Pre-II R: 18 | II: 4 | Post-II R: 3 | WL: 0 | A: 0
LM 74.5 | CASPer Q1 | Last updated 1-Mar

What does Pre-II R, II, Post-II R, WL, A mean for a newbie to this process?
i know u didnt ask me, but maybe i could help.

Pre-II R: Pre interview invite rejection
Post-II R: Post interview invite rejection
WL: Waitlist
A: Acceptance

i know u didnt ask me, but maybe i could help.

Pre-II R: Pre interview invite rejection
Post-II R: Post interview invite rejection
WL: Waitlist
A: Acceptance
appreciate it Woop. TY

my 3rd waitlist (IS), no A. am i cooked? also does anyone know if the WL is different this yr? I think I heard that they weren't going to do their notorious WL all R's this time

• Care
Did anyone get an A today or did they just not like our interview cohort lol

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Post-II R :(
I'm sorry to hear, thank you for confirming that they are sending them.

my 3rd waitlist (IS), no A. am i cooked? also does anyone know if the WL is different this yr? I think I heard that they weren't going to do their notorious WL all R's this time
Nothing is different his year, I explicitly asked Brian if they're doing anything different this year after hearing this rumor and he said no. Still waitlisting 300-400 of which 30-35 usually come off.

I'm sorry to hear, thank you for confirming that they are sending them.

Nothing is different his year, I explicitly asked Brian if they're doing anything different this year after hearing this rumor and he said no. Still waitlisting 300-400 of which 30-35 usually come off.
when you say come off do you mean they get A and the rest get R?

when you say come off do you mean they get A and the rest get R?
From the waitlist of 300-400, 30-35 come off the waitlist and gain acceptances.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone get an A today or did they just not like our interview cohort lol
This happened with my cohort as well, everyone hears at once. The vast majority of people reported waitlists, but due to the small amount of people getting A's it's just a reporting bias which takes time to hear and report on SDN. There were two or three people that reported their A's within a few hours of release.

Considering that people got A's last week, I'm sure there was at least 1 this time... also, really wishing that WL's did not overlap with a possible 2nd app :cryi:

So, you don't get accepted this cycle and need to apply next cycle, how do people go about getting new LORs?
The Professors at big undergrad schools will hardly give you a second look if you asking for another LOR.
Looking for advice.

Does being interviewed/waitlisted early in the fall like October -November increase your chance of getting off the waitlist?

I'm sorry to hear about the R today, but WL people you've still got a chance. Hang in there!
I got the A call today from a student around 12 noon! Interviewed 2/15, IS applicant.
Good luck, everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
I'm sorry to hear about the R today, but WL people you've still got a chance. Hang in there!
I got the A call today from a student around 12 noon! Interviewed 2/15, IS applicant.
Good luck, everyone!
if you don't mind, could you share your stats?

I'm assuming its GG if I haven't heard anything at all? I haven't been interviewed, rejected, or put on hold.

• Care