Making Extra Money as an Intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samtron

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that have gone before, what did you do to make extra money during internship?

Members don't see this ad.

teach kaplan mcat classes or something...not much time for much else, you need a lot of flexibility

Members don't see this ad :)
worked freelance audio gigs all 3 days I had off and felt like doing something other than laying down. seriously.

I play in a band and get money doing gigs every month. Its not a whole lot, but it pays for dinner!

I play in a band and get money doing gigs every month. Its not a whole lot, but it pays for dinner!

So even during intern year you are able to find time to play in a band and gig?

I'm a musician considering going into medicine and the possibility of having to take a decade-long hiatus from music is my main - nay, sole - deterrent. Are these fears unfounded? Were you gigging/jamming during med school?

I'm a musician considering going into medicine and the possibility of having to take a decade-long hiatus from music is my main - nay, sole - deterrent. Are these fears unfounded? Were you gigging/jamming during med school?

Even during med school and residency, you can usually find time for 1 things that's important to you. Working out, music, whatever. You just have to realize that during clerkships and residency, you don't really have control over when your free time comes. Call schedules generally aren't very changeable.

Even during med school and residency, you can usually find time for 1 things that's important to you. Working out, music, whatever. You just have to realize that during clerkships and residency, you don't really have control over when your free time comes. Call schedules generally aren't very changeable.

Exactly. I've been playing in this band for 3 years and one of the reasons I put the program I am in #1 on my ROL. Rehearsal and our performances are always scheduled around my call schedule which can be tricky to do, but I've been able to pull it off now. I think its a misconception that you have no time to do anything in residency. I believe it boils down to efficiency and time management.

You can do both. There are tons of physicians who are side musicians and who played during med school and in residency. During my interview trail, most directors were fascinated about my band and music and then during our conversations, I would find out a majority of them were some sort of musician too. It was amazing!

You can do both. There are tons of physicians who are side musicians and who played during med school and in residency. During my interview trail, most directors were fascinated about my band and music and then during our conversations, I would find out a majority of them were some sort of musician too. It was amazing!

CB+R, that's great! That's fantastic to hear that not only can it be done, but there can even be appreciation within the medical community of outside musical pursuits (of the non-Classical variety, as I imagine yours are!). I know you're busy, but would you mind if I PMed you and asked you a question or two about this topic?

You have to have a certain "aptitude" to donate sperm for a living too.

I'm going with sperm donation to keep up with rising gas prices.

I am a keyboard player and I was really apprehensive about med school for fear that I'd have to give up something I already loved to try to do something I may love. During med school, esp 1st 2 years I could still easily play church services and other gigs, but didn't do a whole lot of community service etc. (did research instead and some other things occasionally). 3 rd year slowed down a little, but I hung in there. I was burning the candle at both ends and by 4 th year I realized that I'd have to give it up to a large degree in internship. So far I have had to give up playing live for months at a time, and have struggled to find motivation to play at home during my free time (where sleep or reading takes priority). Once I take step 3, I am going to make it a priority to play at least 3x weekly because it's that important to maintain my sanity. So, long story to say that you have to make your passions your priority with the allotted free time you have. And yes in internship this means losing sleep often, but it's worth it. Also, by keep ur skills up and/or producing, the extra money doesn't hurt.