Closing the Gap — Making Medical School Admissions More Equitable
- Efrain Talamantes, M.D., M.B.A.,
- Mark C. Henderson, M.D.,
- Tonya L. Fancher, M.D., M.P.H.,
- and Fitzhugh Mullan, M.D.
in the February 28, 2019 issue of The New England Journal of Medicine
N Engl J Med 2019; 380:803-805.
Check it out then share your thoughts.
I would check it out if I had access to scholarly journals. But alas, I am not a student, nor am I employed in an academic setting, and so some privileges are not afforded to me.
I find this fact just a little ironic.
One thing I've noticed over my years, both long ago as a traditional (and naive and uncounseled) premed student and now as a non-trad is that this system is really hard if you:
a. don't know what you don't know, and there is no one to tell you how much you don't know
b. are poor in both economic and social capital
For point a, at least nowadays at least a google search will net you SDN. So hopefully most premeds will get at least SOME guidance. (But sometimes not, see "less informed premeds" thread.)
As far as point B, just taking the MCAT is costing me around $800 between study resources and the exam itself. Do you know how much $800 is to a family living paycheck to paycheck? It's insane if not impossible. (Thankfully I no longer live hand-to-mouth, but those years still impact me.) Even if the exam fee is waived, it's still so much money.
Another thing for point B is how difficult it is to get shadowing hours if you don't already have preexisting relationships with doctors, either yourself or your family. I keep hitting dead end after dead end. Either nobody wants to take on a shadower (and who would? It's a pain) or bureaucratic red tape keeps them from doing it. I'm afraid after all my hard work this is what's going to keep me from getting accepted. Scribing jobs are good, but they pay is horrible and depending on life situations the hours might not work.
Another aspect is the difficulty of rural students to access things like medical volunteering or shadowing opportunities, but I have less experience with that. I thought I'd mention it though.