Making sense of BR scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ak21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So my MCAT is coming up and I've been prepping with Berkeley for passages and also with content with a combo of Chad's vids, and TPR books for content as well. I feel pretty good about my scores on the end of section questions of Berkeley review for the PS. In G. Chem I'm averaging about a mid 11 to a low 12 per 100Q and in physics I'm averaging a high 12 to a low 13 on the 52Q. I've heard BR is tough so I'm really excited but with these scores is it possible I could get a 13 or even a 14 on the real thing? Btw this is my second go at the MCAT so I would take a practice test it's just that I've already taken every AAMC from last time and I didn't want to use them to get an accurate score prediction. And my plan is to take 11 this Saturday. Thanks guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys! So my MCAT is coming up and I've been prepping with Berkeley for passages and also with content with a combo of Chad's vids, and TPR books for content as well. I feel pretty good about my scores on the end of section questions of Berkeley review for the PS. In G. Chem I'm averaging about a mid 11 to a low 12 per 100Q and in physics I'm averaging a high 12 to a low 13 on the 52Q. I've heard BR is tough so I'm really excited but with these scores is it possible I could get a 13 or even a 14 on the real thing? Btw this is my second go at the MCAT so I would take a practice test it's just that I've already taken every AAMC from last time and I didn't want to use them to get an accurate score prediction. And my plan is to take 11 this Saturday. Thanks guys!!

You're doing great on those sections! With a PS average of 11.5 to 12.5 on difficult questions, you are set for a great PS score. How you do on the real thing will depend on a couple external factors. You are in rarified air at this point, so 14 or 15 will come down to luck more than preparation (i.e., getting an exam that actually gives a 15 in PS and getting an exam that fits your style). If you luck out and get a difficult exam that has topics you like, then a 14 or 15 is viable. If you get an easy exam with a passage that messes with your head, then the max score for anyone might only be 14 and you'll get an 11. I'd guess that you'll get a 12 to 13 on the exam, but wouldn't be at all surprised by a higher score. The difference between a 12 and 14 might only be two to three questions.

Best of luck. Go in ready to dominate!

If you're doing that well in BR then you'll do very well on AAMC as long as you can get used to doing passages CBT style. I did BR practice passages this whole month and i was getting 10-13 on all sections and then reviewing whatever material i did bad on (i would usually have a few passages that id get like 3-4 wrong on and I would pay strict attention to those.) Transferring to AAMC my sciences are in the 11-13 range still, although my bio mistakes are less content and more critical thinking and analyzing questions.

Its possible that you can hit 13, 14 or 15 on the real thing... just realize the different between 12 and 15 can be as little as 6 questions depending on the curve.

thanks you guys! that really boosts my confidence! I understand that when it comes to getting a 14 and 15 on a section it really comes down to luck because of all the things that go into it that I really have no control over. that's why my goal of a 13 or 14 isn't like a do or die. Its just something id obviously like to have lol.

My 2 cents for what it's worth:

My scores are usually around yours, a little lower maybe, and my PS scores on AAMC 3/4/5/7 (supposedly the easier ones) have been 12/12/12/13.