Making the move

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

potpourri

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm making the move to Australia from N America and wanted to start packing up and "relocating". I don't know anyone there, so I'm scrounging around for as much info as I can get. Anyone else heading to USyd in Feb?? :)

I saw an earlier thread about laptop computers, and I'm in the process of buying one now. Does anyone know what internet connection Uni of Syd runs on? I'm not sure if this matters much, but just wondering if they have wireless access on campus? I'm a bit of a computer dud, so any info would be great. :p

Thanks! Hope to meet some more of you making the move for 2005. Good luck to the rest applying to Aussie schools!

Members don't see this ad.

potpourri said:
Hi!

I'm making the move to Australia from N America and wanted to start packing up and "relocating". I don't know anyone there, so I'm scrounging around for as much info as I can get. Anyone else heading to USyd in Feb?? :)

I saw an earlier thread about laptop computers, and I'm in the process of buying one now. Does anyone know what internet connection Uni of Syd runs on? I'm not sure if this matters much, but just wondering if they have wireless access on campus? I'm a bit of a computer dud, so any info would be great. :p

Thanks! Hope to meet some more of you making the move for 2005. Good luck to the rest applying to Aussie schools!

You cannot access the University of Sydney (USyd) Internet via an actual physical cable on campus because of some stupid security reason.
They are trialing wireless network access on campus and as long as your laptop has a wireless network card or wireless network capabilities, you'll be fine.

Newer laptops have a built-in transformer but you will need to buy an outlet adaptor to fit into the Australian outlets.

Internet access in Australia is currently behind that of North America. The broadband market is just beginning to bloom though so prices are dropping.

A few things here are different.. .like the fact that you have to pay for every damn phone call you make.. no flat rates.

If you have questions.. ask away.. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the info.
Greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
couple of things:

Broadband see: whirlpool.com.au - broadband is def'n more expensive than canada but you can use it to eliminate phone calls.

Engin.com.au - broadband phone company...basically you can use this to cut your phone bills in half.

Electronics - buy adaptors required from Can/US as they are cheaper there. Here they will run out about $50 AUD, whereas you can get the same thing for about $10 in Walmart (CAD)

finally if you buy a laptop do a check first and make sure you are covered with a) international warranty b) there are service centres close by in the school you are attending.

good luck

Hey potpourri!

I may be heading to Sydney in Feb as well.. have not decided yet tho. Too many things to consider!!! cost, distance, chance of getting back to canada, etc etc. :confused:

I sent you a priv. message.
ttyl!

ddub55 said:
Hey potpourri!

I may be heading to Sydney in Feb as well.. have not decided yet tho. Too many things to consider!!! cost, distance, chance of getting back to canada, etc etc. :confused:

I sent you a priv. message.
ttyl!

If you have tried multiples times to get into a Medical school in Canada and have failed and do not want to go to the US, then go to Australia.

If you don't mind going into Family Practice, go to Australia- you will likely be able to go back to Canada when you finish.

If you just want to get out of the country and go somewhere else and be trained as a doctor after 4 years... then come to Australia. I fell under that category.

The more 'competitive' specialties don't interest me anyways... derm, rads, ortho... meh.