Male nurses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malusport

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're a male nuse, could you please post it here.

Please comment if you like being a nurse or not and why?

Members don't see this ad.

i am a male nurse. so far i like it- though i find it a bit strange when people give me more respect because i have a penis when many many female nurses who know more in thier pinky than i do in my entire body are ignored.
but all in all, i like it. don't like the movie meet the parents....tired of being asked. :)

I am, and it sucks. But, I have to while in school to be a NP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Won't you still be a male nurse when you become an NP?

sambo said:

Yes, but I assume he thinks he can pawn himself off as a "doctor" and not refute his patients when they call him Dr. __________

I have been an RN for 6yrs and an NP for 3. I find that the label "nurse" does feel a little odd at first but you get used to it. Depending on the setting ie ED or ICU a majority of the staff could be male (RN, techs, Resp, etc). I did get patients that would always ask me if I was an intern or a doctor or when I was going to medical school. So I decided to go and will start in August.

sambo said:

Technically, yes, but the practice is so different. I won't refer to myself as male nurse; but nurse practitioner or just practitioner. I won't refer myself as doctor unless I get a doctorate of some kind (there are new programs coming out called DNP but the only reason as of right now to get it would be to be called "doctor" which is hardly worth anything much less the 25K tuition).

MacGyver is referring to a discussion many months ago (for some reason this dude never leaves this forum, and thus, his mom's basement). It was a stupid pissing match (hard to believe on this forum) regarding who is referred to as doctor. I made the point that I will call myself what I am, as I do now, but I will not correct someone over and over that continues to call me "doc" because if you explain who you are and they still want to call you doc, so be it. You're gonna end up pissing them off if you keep correcting them. Anyway, MacGyver is trying to twist it to make it sound like I'm going to pretend like I'm a doctor (once you get out into the real world, Richard, you will realize that no one gives a flying f*ck about the bullsh*t you dwell on here; and if you're already out in the real world... pathetic).

malusport said:
Before you decide on becoming a doctor you might want to check this site out and do some research.

http://home.austin.rr.com/austintxmd/Pages/intro.html

I even thought about becoming a doctor, but the more research I did, the less appealing it became.

This is exactly why I went backwards in undergrad to not go to medical school. Go ahead, all you idealistic *****s defending your delusion. Tell me I 'couldn't get in to med school' or I 'have insecurities'..... blah blah blah ba f*cking blah).

lloydchristmas said:
This is exactly why I went backwards in undergrad to not go to medical school. Go ahead, all you idealistic *****s defending your delusion. Tell me I 'couldn't get in to med school' or I 'have insecurities'..... blah blah blah ba f*cking blah).
Idealistic *****s defending a delusion? I sense you are bitter that you gave up being an MD for an RN. I know I would be devastated if I did. :(

MacGyver said:
Yes, but I assume he thinks he can pawn himself off as a "doctor" and not refute his patients when they call him Dr. __________
MacGyver...I have noted you to be rude in other postings as well...can I ask...WHY??? :confused:

Lloyd,
Normally I don't prescribe Xanax for my patients but you may need some buddy. Peaceful thoughts, blue waters, babbling brook, etc...

You just brought yourself down to the level of the Macster. Congrats :thumbup:

I've been a nurse for 30 years and really never had a problem. It's been a lot of excitement working so closely with a lot of women in high stress situations that tends to make one bond. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a male nurse, it's a good job and the opportunities are great. I spent 20 years as paramedic, reitred and went to nursing school. I did a year and half in an ED, now I doing primarily Critical Care Transoprt. I'll probably do that for a year or two and move onto something else, or get my NP. The sky is the limit, and the money ain't too shabby either. :D

...anyway...back to the origninal post

I am a male nurse. It is the best career choice I have ever made. I am advancing my knowledge base by going to anesthesia school. Before anesthesia school was a blast in the ICU's. The job outlook for staff nursing is awsome. I will be honest though, you may catch some crap from your more macho buddies about dropping a foley in some fat woman. But while they are scrambling around looking for their mba jobs that will pay the same or less than the five offers you had before you finished nursing school, you can just smile and take it. And while they are in some 3x5 cubicle selling paper clips, you will be lighting up some cardiac arrest patient with 360 Joules of electricity.

It is definately a blast. And if worse comes to worst, you dont like sticking your finger up grannies rear to get her to poop (once in a blue moon), then you will always have an edge on all of the white collars for the biomed sales positions. The opportunities, and specialties are endless.

:thumbup: try to see passed the sexism, and just go to nursing school.

antiadriani said:
:thumbup: try to see passed the sexism, and just go to nursing school.
Don't fall for the plow. Men make good nurses but better doctors. :thumbup:

Why would anyone want to call themself a male nurse.
No-one uses the term 'female doctor'. Nursing never sought to have the term nurse applied to females only. Men who are nurses are nurses. After all if your name was John and you were a nurse, you probably wouldnt need anyone to point out you were a guy would you???

So lets just call ourselves nurses guys,and take the label off.

Male nurses are great. There is a great need in this country for more nurses. I respect male nurses very much. ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

jjjez said:
Why would anyone want to call themself a male nurse.
No-one uses the term 'female doctor'. Nursing never sought to have the term nurse applied to females only. Men who are nurses are nurses. After all if your name was John and you were a nurse, you probably wouldnt need anyone to point out you were a guy would you???

So lets just call ourselves nurses guys,and take the label off.

I always introduce or refer to myself as a nurse or RN. In fact when any of my patients ask if I am a "male nurse" I reply: "No, I treat women too."

I am a male nurse of 9 years. Great job. I am going to make over 100k this year on 72hrs/2 wks. I don't have any friends that make that, of course they all give me **** for being a "murse" I think they all know it is a good job. I am trying to go back to school for dentistry though. As for "why not go for the MD." I think people are out of their minds for going to become a doctor this day and age. Too much liability, work, crap. Not enough pay, autonomy or time with your family. Nursing is a great profession that I would reccommend to anyone male or female, it just isn't for me anymore. The other benefit is that you are always working with hot women. OK, OK, you work with fat women also.

I was in the ER last week 2 times and it was male nurses who took care of me (and all female Drs it seemed...lol). I thought they were awesome! When I had my first baby, it was a male maternity nurse, yes at first I was kinda shocked, but he did such a fantastic job and made me feel at ease, he was wonderful and I have never forgotten him.

At my school we have a lot of males in the nursing program, about 1/4 I would say. A lot of them are paramedics, firefighters, etc We definatly need more males in nursing, these guys are no whimps.

Marilyn

tuscondds,

i agRee with you...there have been some totally hot and honestly distractingly gorgeous female nurses...don't you just love it when they wear the tight srub bottoms and clingy little t-shirt, plus the clogs...'good Lord...i've got work to do here, sister, you're killing me with that ass...' how many times have you said that to yourself...god luv em!

taking longer than thought

TucsonDDS said:
I am a male nurse of 9 years. Great job. I am going to make over 100k this year on 72hrs/2 wks. I don't have any friends that make that, of course they all give me **** for being a "murse" I think they all know it is a good job. I am trying to go back to school for dentistry though. As for "why not go for the MD." I think people are out of their minds for going to become a doctor this day and age. Too much liability, work, crap. Not enough pay, autonomy or time with your family. Nursing is a great profession that I would reccommend to anyone male or female, it just isn't for me anymore. The other benefit is that you are always working with hot women. OK, OK, you work with fat women also.

Dude...you're either lying about your salary or something is seriously f---'d up. An internal medicine hospitalists only makes around 130K...how the heck can a nurse be making 100k+???

If you truly are making that, then you are extraordinarily overpaid.

GeddyLee said:
Dude...you're either lying about your salary or something is seriously f---'d up. An internal medicine hospitalists only makes around 130K...how the heck can a nurse be making 100k+???

Man I hate to do this, but I must......

It is no lie. I am a physician and my wife is a nurse. Since I am employed by the hospital, I have the full complement of benefits. My wife works on a per diem basis with several agencies on the East Coast. She does about 3 12-hour shifts a week and occassionally works weekends. Now she makes $50/hr and $55/hr on weekends. For an average week, she'll gross about $1500 or more (depending if she works the weekend). That's $6000/month and $72,000 per year CONSERVATIVE ESTIMATE. Someone busting their ass can easily make more. As an anesthesiologist, I personally know several per diem OR nurses who make $70 or more an hour when they are on call. Not too shabby..........

thenavysurgeon said:
tuscondds,

i agRee with you...there have been some totally hot and honestly distractingly gorgeous female nurses...don't you just love it when they wear the tight srub bottoms and clingy little t-shirt, plus the clogs...'good Lord...i've got work to do here, sister, you're killing me with that ass...' how many times have you said that to yourself...god luv em!

Remember on that other thread where I said that with your attitude about nurses you would have no trouble finding any to work with you?

I take it back.

lloydchristmas said:

You know what I hate more than working with an arrogant doc? Working with an arrogant mid-level.

Saying you'll simply introduce yourself as a "practitioner" (leaving out the "nurse" part) is...oh, how can I say it politely? A bit disingenuous? Mendacious? Ethically bankrupt?

Just what is it about the "nurse" part you're so ashamed of? Just calling yourself a "practitioner" is going to confuse your pts. (surely, that's not your aim). You can be a practitioner of witchcraft, too...

Yeah I heard nurses who join those agencies can make big bucks! I work in a lab and there is a shortage of males....so I think when male applies for a job in the lab he's given first dibs (but thats my opinion) Its kinda like an estrogen dome in the lab in the hospital...I dunno if that's good or bad but sometimes its nice to have a male their to kinda buffer it all....

POSTED BY THENAVYSURGEON:

tuscondds,

Ewww....

GeddyLee said:

it's not a lie. there are alot of nurses that make 100k or more a year and they all don't work for agencies. if a nurse knows where to go, hospitals will pay for their experience. i have already made 52k this year working only 45/hrs wk. that's because we receive plenty of incentive bonuses for picking up extra shifts and OT. one of my closest friends is a family practice doc and she says it is frustrating that she barely makes 110k and has more responsibilty of the nurse to who she gives orders to, but the nurse makes just as much as she does. most docs would not want to be a nurse and deal with patients the way we do all day so believe me when i say that money is the ONLY thing keeping some people in nursing.

Hey everyone,
I am cuurently a 3rd year dental student- congrats Tucson on your choice of dentistry- great profession! Anyway, I am normally on the dental forums, but decided to check out other forums to see what was happening. My best friend is a male nurse and loves his job. He currently got promoted to nurse manager in psych and is making a good living. Sure, our buddies make cracks- but he holds his head high and is proud of what he does- as should all nurses who bust their butt in nursing school- I know it is not an easy profession. Cheers!

GeddyLee said:

I am not saying that I not overpaid. Nurses can make a lot of money if they want to. I work in the float/resource pool with a base salary of $39/hr. Anything over 36 hrs we are paid time and a half along with an extra incentive of $18/hr on nights. This brings my hourly wage up to almost $77/hr for the 4,5 and 6 days in my workweek. My contract states that I have to work 72 hrs/payperiod but does not stipulate 36 hrs a week. I then take the next week off. 72 hrs in a week is a lot but not undoable. Just ask all of the residents that do it for $35k/year. I just love this nursing shortage. Another nurse that I work with decided to work a little extra last year. She brought in 125k from our hospital along with what she said was about another 20k from another. Granted she did work quite a lot. Any nurse that is only making 35 or 40k/year is either brand new learning their skills or is too lazy or insecure to pick up extra shifts in other areas of the hospital that needs help.
I have found that most nurses (95% or more) are content to just work in their comfort zone in a full time position on one floor. They all bitch about having to float, take a diferent kind of patient, come in extra to work another shift and help out the floor, they bitch about not having enough staff and they bitch about not making enough money. The only thing they don't do is look for solutions to their problems. This is why it is necessary for hospitals to look for other solutions for their staffing needs like agency and traveling nurses. For all that the hopitals pay me I am sure that is still less than what they pay a traveling nurse.
And yes, I do think that both nurses and the young hot female doctors are getting hotter and hotter every year.