Man, am I dumb...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mango

Very Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Tuesday I'm at work checking the email for interviews, and I see a new one that I don't recognize. "You've been invited to interview at New York Hospital in Flushing, Queens," it says. Flushing, I think to myself? I don't remember applying to a program in Queens...

Yeah, turns out it's a community program (probably a strong one) affiliated with Cornell, but not actually Cornell. So my dumb ass clicked on the wrong program on ERAS! Man do I feel lame.

So I went back to ERAS, coughed up another $15 bucks, and got an interview from the actual Cornell program today! I guess that's a happy ending.

This whole process is a trip...

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same problem when I applied to my programs. I still don't know if some programs are the main university programs or just community affiliated ones (anyone know if Strong Memorial is U Rochester's main hospital?). ERAS should have a star or something that separates the main teaching hospitals from these community affiliates that share program names. It gets very confusing. And it took me forever to figure out that the New England medical center was Tufts in disguise. :rolleyes:

Man, I did the exact same thing. I got an email for an interview from the same program in Queens and I didn't remember applying there. I went on the Freida website and realized that it's a community program affiliated with Cornell but not the main program. I checked out their website and it looks like the past chiefs have gotten great fellowships. There's nothing wrong with community programs but I'm really looking for a place with strong funding in research.

Are you going to go to the interview?

So far:

U Miami, U Illinois Chicago, Mayo Rochester, WSU/DMC, MSU/Grand Rapids...
Peace and good luck....

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ckent
I had the same problem when I applied to my programs. I still don't know if some programs are the main university programs or just community affiliated ones (anyone know if Strong Memorial is U Rochester's main hospital?).

Srong Memorial is in fact the University of Rochester's main hospital. It is a 750 bed hospital, Level I trauma center and a quatenary refferal center. U of R surgery residents also rotate at Highland Hospital which is closeby and more like a community hospital. At this time I am not sure if they rotate at Rochester General or not (there have been some battles over this in recent years). If you are interested in general surgery, in my opinion the program is good, but not great. Subspecialties here are very good, particulary orthopaedics.

Ed

Flushing is an affiliate only in name to cornell. It comes no where close to the actual cornell gs program. Seems like you guys already figured this out.