This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2set50

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello pharmacists!

If anyone out there has experience in either of these fields (managed care vs. am care), please if you could shed some light on the job opportunities for each of these fields currently and in the future.

I am currently a retail pharmacist who's looking into doing a residency. Through my research, I found that I am interested in both of these fields. I like am care in that there is lots of patient interactions, which is what I like most from my retail experience. On the other hand, I also have an interest in managed care and dealing with the Prior Auth, formularies, managing drug costs part of it.

In order to help me make the decision, I wanted to see if may be one of these fields would have more a demand for. How easier is it to obtain one position over another? In addition, in terms of residencies, would it be difficult to obtain an am care position with just a PGY1 (VA or Kaiser) and not a PGY2? I believe Managed care are mainly PGY1 only so that would be more time saving?

Please help me! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.