Managing scribing and school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdivakaruni26

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a rising sophomore currently on the pre-med track. I recently got a scribing job at a local family medicine clinic in my area. I start next week and have to work 20-24 hours a week, with weekends and Tuesdays off. I work from 8 am to 3:30 pm. To anyone who has done something like this in the past, is it difficult to manage a college level course work and scribe at the same time. It is a given that any scribing job will take up this much time, but I want to hear from others who have done this in the past.

How did you guys manage to do both? How long would you recommend that I take up this job? (I was thinking doing this job for around a year) I am usually on top of my game in regards to doing my work on time, and am good at balancing everything, but I just want to hear what other people have done. This is also during COVID time so I don't really have the pressure of maintaining a perfect social life as nothing really is going on. I am very excited to take on this job and gain a lot of clinical exposure, but I also am a bit worried that it will be too much.

All my volunteering, research, shadowing etc, got cancelled and this is all I have pretty much. My university went online for Fall 2020, so all my classes are self-paced. Im taking a lot of gen end classes such as SOCY and STATS, and my online hardest class is really orgo, but everything else is pretty easy.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was able to scribe MWF 8-5 ish in outpatient during my senior year. This only worked because I stacked all of my classes on Tuesday and Thursday. It was pretty doable, I had time to do school work, see friends, go out on weekends, etc. However, I had a pretty lush class schedule senior year. If I had to scribe while I was taking physics, biochem, ochem, etc then I would have not had a good time.

Hi everyone. I am a rising sophomore currently on the pre-med track. I recently got a scribing job at a local family medicine clinic in my area. I start next week and have to work 20-24 hours a week, with weekends and Tuesdays off. I work from 8 am to 3:30 pm. To anyone who has done something like this in the past, is it difficult to manage a college level course work and scribe at the same time. It is a given that any scribing job will take up this much time, but I want to hear from others who have done this in the past.

How did you guys manage to do both? How long would you recommend that I take up this job? (I was thinking doing this job for around a year) I am usually on top of my game in regards to doing my work on time, and am good at balancing everything, but I just want to hear what other people have done. This is also during COVID time so I don't really have the pressure of maintaining a perfect social life as nothing really is going on. I am very excited to take on this job and gain a lot of clinical exposure, but I also am a bit worried that it will be too much.

All my volunteering, research, shadowing etc, got cancelled and this is all I have pretty much.
How can you do this? Do you not have any classes between 8 am and 3:30 pm on MWThF? In any event, working 24 hours per week while a full time pre-med sounds like asking for trouble. I haven't done that, and, quite frankly, would never consider it, mostly because I need to go to class and labs during the day during the week.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How can you do this? Do you not have any classes between 8 am and 3:30 pm on MWThF? In any event, working 24 hours per week while a full time pre-med sounds like asking for trouble. I haven't done that, and, quite frankly, would never consider it, mostly because I need to go to class and labs during the day during the week.
Because of COVID, all of my classes were changed to an online format and became all self-paced. I don't have Zoom classes to attend, but have to watch pre-recorded lectures on my own time. My labs are online as well and all self-paced. Two of my classes don't have specific deadlines and I can finish them up as soon as possible, meaning that if I work diligently for a month, I can finish the entire course up. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Because of COVID, all of my classes were changed to an online format and became all self-paced. I don't have Zoom classes to attend, but have to watch pre-recorded lectures on my own time. My labs are online as well and all self-paced. Two of my classes don't have specific deadlines and I can finish them up as soon as possible, meaning that if I work diligently for a month, I can finish the entire course up. I hope that makes sense.

Wouldn’t you still have a heavy workload considering exams/homework will still be given? Also what about the other classes, you say only two don’t have specific deadlines. Seems like you have a unique situation, and if you think it’s a good idea where you won’t be compromising your grades, then go for it

All my volunteering, research, shadowing etc, got cancelled and this is all I have pretty much. My university went online for Fall 2020, so all my classes are self-paced. Im taking a lot of gen end classes such as SOCY and STATS, and my online hardest class is really orgo, but everything else is pretty easy.
I scribed approximately this many hours while doing a post-bac and found it to be too many work hours, but I was also had long commutes to everything and on-campus classes. I think it's doable if you know you're someone who can manage their time well. Personally, I'd take the opportunity to get any clinical experience I could now, particularly while you're taking a less-intense course load. A year sounds like a good amount of time with this many hours/week, and you'll likely want something more part-time when you start getting into harder courses. As you start, keep in mind that scribing has a steep learning curve and it gets easier the more you do it! Good luck :)

I worked ~56 hrs a week last semester and got a 4.0 with 18 credit hours. It's all about time management and course rigor in my opinion.