Army Mandatory AEGD application when not interested in AEGD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Dentisto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received the forms that we have to submit for the 1 year AEGD in the Army. I have decided not to do the AEGD. I know everyone "has" to apply, but do I still have to get 3 letters of recommendation and a letter of motivation stating how motivated I am to apply for this thing that I don't want to apply for? What happens if I don't? Will it it hurt my chances of being stationed somewhere I want if they look at my file and say, "This guy here half-assed his AEGD application... To Alaska with him!"

Members don't see this ad.

I just received the forms that we have to submit for the 1 year AEGD in the Army. I have decided not to do the AEGD. I know everyone "has" to apply, but do I still have to get 3 letters of recommendation and a letter of motivation stating how motivated I am to apply for this thing that I don't want to apply for? What happens if I don't? Will it it hurt my chances of being stationed somewhere I want if they look at my file and say, "This guy here half-assed his AEGD application... To Alaska with him!"

Lol Alaska is a good duty station in the Army. To Polk with him! There are plenty of things in the military that it's mandatory and you won't want to do.

This is not a 'soft' requirement, you absolutely have to do it. If not, your stipend will likely be cut off and you may even be removed from the HPSP program entirely.

If you feel like you're lying when you say you want to do the AEGD, then politely say you would rather get started doing dentistry right away and how motivated you are to serve in that capacity. Get your letters of recommendation too, an incomplete application will be a problem for you. Just let your faculty know it's a requirement for you to begin serving and they should be happy to help you out.

Members don't see this ad :)
The army is ripe with situations where you just have to say to yourself "this is happening..."

Reactions: 1 users
I have some experience with this, and I can tell you with certainty, to not apply or turn in a complete application absolutely will result in loss of stipend, and most likely non-payment of your last semester of D-school. Also, while you absolutely will lose your scholarship, you are still obligated to the Army and the Army WILL call you to active duty, most likely long after your peers have attended BOLC and are at their first duty station.

Best advice, apply. If you are selected, you will be afforded the opportunity to turn down the advanced education.

Thanks for the responses all. No argument here. Will complete and submit. :)