Mandatory P/F --- Should I take biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genmaichaa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year, I have been taking the biochem sequence and was planning to finish it in the upcoming quarter before taking the MCAT during summer. However, our university now made our next quarter mandatory P/F. I am debating whether to stick to my original plan or to push it off to next year's spring.

If I take it this quarter:
Pros: Taking biochem before the MCAT
Cons: My academic record is not stellar, so admin may view this P/F quite unfavorably

If I take it next year, the pros and cons would be vice versa, but I might also forget some of my previous biochem knowledge instead of going through the sequence continuously.

Thanks so much for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

This year, I have been taking the biochem sequence and was planning to finish it in the upcoming quarter before taking the MCAT during summer. However, our university now made our next quarter mandatory P/F. I am debating whether to stick to my original plan or to push it off to next year's spring.

If I take it this quarter:
Pros: Taking biochem before the MCAT
Cons: My academic record is not stellar, so admin may view this P/F quite unfavorably

If I take it next year, the pros and cons would be vice versa, but I might also forget some of my previous biochem knowledge instead of going through the sequence continuously.

Thanks so much for your input!
Stick to the plan. If you're definitely taking the MCAT this summer, you really need to finish biochem. P/F is less than ideal, but, if it's mandatory, the schools have already said they will understand. One grade is really not going to move the needle on your app one way or the other, so put yourself in the best position to do as well as possible on the MCAT. Good luck!!

Agreed with KnightDoc. Biochem is probably the most difficult and most covered subject on the MCAT, so it's a good idea to take it as a class before the MCAT.

Stick to the plan. If you're definitely taking the MCAT this summer, you really need to finish biochem. P/F is less than ideal, but, if it's mandatory, the schools have already said they will understand. One grade is really not going to move the needle on your app one way or the other, so put yourself in the best position to do as well as possible on the MCAT. Good luck!!
Agreed with KnightDoc. Biochem is probably the most difficult and most covered subject on the MCAT, so it's a good idea to take it as a class before the MCAT.

Thank you both so much!

Reactions: 1 user