Marijuana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Speeding and pot are not quite the same. Mostly because many patients would care if they found their doctor smoked pot, which most could not care less if their doctor speeds. I don't mean to imply that it does affect work, but the attitude toward the two aren't equivalent. That's changing though. Like others have said, I expect MJ to probably be legal in the next 10 years or so, which I don't have a huge problem with.

The real crux of the issue is legality. You get caught, you risk your career. Why would ever want to risk that? At this point, arguing about the ethics of MJ use is kinda just pointless. But I guess that's why this thread has reached 3 pages (and I contributed!)

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.addictionpro.com/article/address-client-myths-about-marijuana

And you guys want to be doctors... good luck with that. And don't forget to give customers hot sauce with their tacos.

That site was pretty amusing - thanks for the laugh. You do realize that citing data from an organization that blatantly supports marijuana criminalization probably won't fly too well, right?

I think you're all missing the most important point in this discussion: smoking marijuana is bad for your lungs. It's important to make informed health decisions as future medical professionals, you know. Critical thinking is very important: without it people tend to quickly become hypocritical.

Smoking isn't the only form of intake. If we're talking about edibles or vaporization, then the risks of lung cancer are likely absent entirely because there's little (vaporizing) or no (edibles) smoke/burned organic matter. Let's also not kid ourselves: if that's the standard, then physicians shouldn't be drinking, smoking, eating fast food, or any other unhealthy activities, and they damn well better be exercising. Your argument fails pretty quickly. Being healthy isn't a pre-requisite for knowing about healthy living. The only benefit is that you're more credible to your patients.

Reactions: 1 user
Sirenomelia:

Your entire argument is predicated on the legality of marijuana use. If (and by public opinion, it's is more when marijuana becomes legal, the stigma about usage is alleviated and the loss of license and/or professional career will become greatly diminished. If you still think physicians should be abstinent from marijuana use, you should also be advocating random breathalyzers during rounds or routine BAC checks.

For the most part, people get into medical school and become physicians because academically and socially, they are exemplary individuals. In order to become a physician you have to demonstrate some responsibility and commitment and most medical student exhibit that. Obviously there will always be a few who slip through the cracks, but you seem to be obsessed with persecuting these few individuals and tarnishing anyone in medicine that recreationally uses a fairly safe and short-lasting drug. Your evidence is purely anecdotal and your argument is based on legality and not morality. If you hold that mindset, I wouldn't have a hard time believing that you would have participated in Nazi Germany under the guise that you were simply following the law and order of the time and only doing what "was required"

Wait, did I just compare you to a Nazi..... Obviously that is ludicrous, spiteful, ridiculous, and stupid but the sentiments that you cast over marijuana users are of that extreme and have no basis in evidence or any sense for that matter. It is insulting. You say that private use is a factor in workplace activity, but if marijuana becomes legal, smoking marijuana will not shed any negative light on the institution you represent (unless it is full of close-minded individuals like yourself), it provides a relaxing experience for the stresses of a professional in the medical world, and, if done responsibly, is as harmless as some of the top physicians in this country who go to a bar on the weekends or drink beer while watching the game on Sundays.

Again, morality does not equal legality and for someone who has gone through so much education,you can do your homework and agree that marijuana is the least harmful of any drug (including alcohol) in terms of addictiveness (none), impairment (far less than alcohol), and inappropriate behavior (I have never heard of anyone that smokes that has become violent, agitated, or in any way, reckless).

So in your mind an expectation that a medical professional obeys federal laws, and does not lie on their professional licensure and credentialling so patients are protected from wreckless and dangerous individuals is comparable to Fascism. Is it even possible to come up with anything more stupid to say than that. And no I have limited to no sympathy to someone allowed the privilege to enter this profession and is trusted with other peoples' lives and well being and flippantly abuses illegal drugs when they are fully aware of the consequences. Ive seen countless kids come through applying to med school that I liked alot as they were solid human beings with common sense, integrity and an intact moral compass. They get voted down because their MCAT +GPA is less than some other guy/girl. I'd pick any one of them to be my doctor over some joke inclined to go home and intoxicate themself with illegal drugs in secret and then lie about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
So in your mind an expectation that a medical professional obeys federal laws, and does not lie on their professional licensure and credentialling so patients are protected from wreckless and dangerous individuals is comparable to Fascism. Is it even possible to come up with anything more stupid to say than that. And no I have limited to no sympathy to someone allowed the privilege to enter this profession and is trusted with other peoples' lives and well being and flippantly abuses illegal drugs when they are fully aware of the consequences. Ive seen countless kids come through applying to med school that I liked alot as they were solid human beings with common sense, integrity and an intact moral compass. They get voted down because their MCAT +GPA is less than some other guy/girl. I'd pick any one of them to be my doctor over some joke inclined to go home and intoxicate themself with illegal drugs in secret and then lie about it.

So if it became legal, you would be 100% ok with it? That's your only problem, it's legality?

So if it became legal, you would be 100% ok with it? That's your only problem, it's legality?

Unfortunately, you're not going to win this one. sirenomelia will keep arguing the same tired point again and again and not actually respond to the real question at hand. Reminiscent of druggeek.

Unfortunately, you're not going to win this one. sirenomelia will keep arguing the same tired point again and again and not actually respond to the real question at hand. Reminiscent of druggeek.

hey, i liked druggeek. "men are strong! women are weak!" cmon who wouldn't love the guy

Only scumbags smoke marajuana. Period.

35gjy4.jpg

i too wish sirenomelia would just go back to his first post in this thread and read through everything he has written and see how he's going in circles and making no sense at all.

Smoking isn't the only form of intake. If we're talking about edibles or vaporization, then the risks of lung cancer are likely absent entirely because there's little (vaporizing) or no (edibles) smoke/burned organic matter. Let's also not kid ourselves: if that's the standard, then physicians shouldn't be drinking, smoking, eating fast food, or any other unhealthy activities, and they damn well better be exercising. Your argument fails pretty quickly. Being healthy isn't a pre-requisite for knowing about healthy living. The only benefit is that you're more credible to your patients.

:thumbup:

I should note that, having gone through some medical issues in the past year, I've asked multiple physicians from multiple medical disciplines about my own hypothetical pot use (just for kicks), and none of them have been concerned with it (they usually laugh and say "we're not worried about that"). The surgeon told me it was safer than running around outside, but I think that was special in my case.

I just threw the smoking-->lungs fact out there because I found it more relevant than most of the other subjective "analysis" in the thread...

And I think being credible to your patients is extremely important. Which is why I'm glad you know what you just said, in case your future patients ask you about it.

The logic used behind the anti-marijuana arguments in this thread is downright embarrassing. If you're going to take a stance, at least be relatively informed?

I think we have passed the point of using logic to get through to these guys. I just find it ironic that the attendings are acting more immature than the pre med/medical students.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ok Pinkus.

And yet the scary thing is he/she is actually a real physician! The little "physician" badge means they've been verified as such by the SDN staff. Absolutely amazing.

Ok Pinkus.

:confused:

So you're saying that you'd turn down a med school applicant who figured out the cure for cancer, had a 45/4.0, and interacts with people in a normal manner just because he smokes pot once every few weekends? And then you'd turn around and accept a kid with worse stats, even if he were addicted to prescription pills (BUT THEY'RE LEGAL)?

On that note, what is your stance on people getting addicted to prescription pills or patients that end up using a myriad of different pills to combat the side effects of previous pills? Oh right, you're from Florida. You're probably pursuing this moral crusade because you run a pill mill.

Dope smokers shouldnt take care of patients. Do I need to spell it out for you? Recreational MJ use is illegal and if you're caught you will lose your license to practice. If you're having pause to weigh in your mind on one the one hand giving up marijuanna vs circumventing federal law to persist your drug habit then do something else.

****ing hilarious opinion over here.

Don't let the medical profession drink either then.

If you smoke weed, the bad people will try and &$@! you up. I don't want to get !@#$ed, so I don't smoke weed.

The world is filled with bad people making bad rules and doing bad things. Medicine is not the most prudent career choice if you aren't willing to smile and play along with them. That's just the reality.

FYI...its not illegal...at least not in Cali :)
No.

And it is so depressing to me how many physicians and medical students in here have god complexes. Being at attending definitely makes you the utmost authority on clinical medicine in a Pre-Allo thread, but it certainly does not make you an authority on every aspect of life (a disheartening trend I have seen in many attendings in real life and on this board.) I was literally thinking yesterday about one of my goals in life is to never be like this.

How many murders, suicides, robberies, criminal assaults, holdups, burglaries and deeds of maniacal insanity it causes each year, especially among the young, can only be conjectured...No one knows, when he places a marijuana cigarette to his lips, whether he will become a joyous reveller in a musical heaven, a mad insensate, a calm philosopher, or a murderer...

Medicine is not the most prudent career choice if you aren't willing to smile and play along with them. That's just the reality.

I'm sure the doctors committing insurance fraud, selling prescriptions, double and triple billing, ordering unecessary procedures for reimbursement are great examples of staying stringent to the law. Right?

**** everyone in this topic with a god complex.

I'm sure the doctors committing insurance fraud, selling prescriptions, double and triple billing, ordering unecessary procedures for reimbursement are great examples of staying stringent to the law. Right?

**** everyone in this topic with a god complex.

I don't have a god complex. I'm just stating the reality. Smoking weed is not prudent as a medical professional. There are bad people who will try and find you out with drug tests and then ruin everything you worked for.

All the examples you cite are things that will, just like weed, cause you a world of hurt from the powers that be. I'm not really sure how that is responsive to my claim.

So you're saying that you'd turn down a med school applicant who figured out the cure for cancer, had a 45/4.0, and interacts with people in a normal manner just because he smokes pot once every few weekends? And then you'd turn around and accept a kid with worse stats, even if he were addicted to prescription pills (BUT THEY'RE LEGAL)?

Isn't too far of a stretch either.. there was a student in my school who had a 43 MCAT and 4.0 GPA.. he was also involved in a lot of organizations and was active in the community, did research, clinical volunteering, was a musician, etc. etc. Brilliant all around guy who is gonna be an amazing doctor someday. He ended up at Wash U.

Other fact about him? He was very fond of the marijuana plant and it was no secret.

As time goes on, people are gonna realize that marijuana is relatively harmless and people can be users and still live very successful lives. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Sure marijuana isn't completely harmless.. but relative to over the counter drugs that are legal now? Yeah it is. But like everything else, it's only appropriate in moderation and shouldn't be abused.

Irrespective of its legality its just not a good idea. I don't want a regular weed-smoker taking care of me as a patient anymore than I would want an alcoholic. Certainly many highly intelligent people seem to partake in it without obvious impact to their work habits, but I guarantee you that it affects their abilities whether they will admit (or notice) it or not. Can you have a smart weed smoker still function at level higher than that of a sober person? Sure, but does that mean the weed smoker is entirely unaffected by his habit? No. And if the doctors/residents/staff of a medical school or hospital tacitly encourage/condone this behavior generally that scares me. At what age/time period are you grow out of the phase of needing a foreign chemical substance to socialize with other people?

I don't have a god complex. I'm just stating the reality. Smoking weed is not prudent as a medical professional. There are bad people who will try and find you out with drug tests and then ruin everything you worked for.

All the examples you cite are things that will, just like weed, cause you a world of hurt from the powers that be. I'm not really sure how that is responsive to my claim.

I think he realizes this. He's angry at the moral high horse idiots who feel they are superior because they haven't succumbed to the unimaginable horror of marihuana cigarettes.

I think he realizes this. He's angry at the moral high horse idiots who feel they are superior because they haven't succumbed to the unimaginable horror of marihuana cigarettes.

Hi. I do believe that Whiskypunch has the most outspoken comments in this thread against the current medical institution drug policies:

If you smoke weed, the bad people will try and &$@! you up. I don't want to get !@#$ed, so I don't smoke weed.

The world is filled with bad people making bad rules and doing bad things. Medicine is not the most prudent career choice if you aren't willing to smile and play along with them. That's just the reality.

It was funny how he referred to those who make/keep these policies as the "bad guys" (that was not who first came to mind) :laugh:

It is intuitively obvious to any casual observer that there's no superiority associated with ingesting marijuana. The egregious accusations of negligence that necessarily result from ingesting marijuana are unwarranted.

THISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHIS

If you've gotten drunk yet condemn weed, then you can go **** yourself.

I don't know why and how educated people who even want to go to med school use pot for recreational use. By smoking pot, all you're doing (besides hurting your health) is supporting organized crime and the drug cartels in Mexico and creating more violence down there.

I don't know why and how educated people who even want to go to med school use pot for recreational use. By smoking pot, all you're doing (besides hurting your health) is supporting organized crime and the drug cartels in Mexico and creating more violence down there.

People could grow it I assume.

Pot isn't cocaine, it is quite easy to grow it in the US, as evidenced by every news story of a pot bust with houses filled with pot plants. An educated person should realize this...

And no, I don't partake, never have, and would only if it was legal, due to the problems that can ruin my life if I were to be caught. I also don't see any reason to keep it illegal.

Really? That's it. Dear lord the list of psychoactive effects including euphoria is all a lie! Quick someone edit Wikipedia!

Also by your logic, buying iphones or shoes causes children in sweatshops to work all day in awful conditions and therefore anyone who buys a modern consumer product is engaging in reprehensible behavior.

Or maybe... maybe... actions can be a necessary but not sufficient cause for a bad thing to occur. An innocuous act can have unintended consequences when others engage in bad behavior, but that is not the fault of the original actor.

Seriously though guys don't smoke weed, drink whiskey punch (in moderation) like me, and the bad people will leave you alone.

Bro I don't even smoke weed and I know that all of the good stuff doesn't come from Mexico. Mexican weed = low quality brick weed.

Pot isn't cocaine, it is quite easy to grow it in the US, as evidenced by every news story of a pot bust with houses filled with pot plants. An educated person should realize this...

And no, I don't partake, never have, and would only if it was legal, due to the problems that can ruin my life if I were to be caught. I also don't see any reason to keep it illegal.

Yeah, and guess who controls those pot houses in the U.S... I'm just putting a fact out there, you know. I mean legal issues aside, a lot of people smoke pot and some of that pot HAS to be from Mexico.

Yeah, and guess who controls those pot houses in the U.S... I'm just putting a fact out there, you know. I mean legal issues aside, a lot of people smoke pot and some of that pot HAS to be from Mexico.
Probably a good portion of it does, but your comment "anyone who smokes pot is funding the Mexican drug war" is a little short-sighted and shrill. And :rolleyes: at Mexican drug lords owning/controlling each and every pot-house in the US.

Wtf is a pot house?

Most of the really good weed in the US comes from independent white growers out of their homes.

Or from Cali. The cartels might supply **** weed they sell in the ghetto, but that's about it.

Really? That's it. Dear lord the list of psychoactive effects including euphoria is all a lie! Quick someone edit Wikipedia!

Also by your logic, buying iphones or shoes causes children in sweatshops to work all day in awful conditions and therefore anyone who buys a modern consumer product is engaging in reprehensible behavior.

Or maybe... maybe... actions can be a necessary but not sufficient cause for a bad thing to occur. An innocuous act can have unintended consequences when others engage in bad behavior, but that is not the fault of the original actor.

Seriously though guys don't smoke weed, drink whiskey punch (in moderation) like me, and the bad people will leave you alone.

lol

Hey, you ignorant jack-ass. You wear Nike's? I guarantee there is some aspect of your stupid god damn high-horse loving life that is somehow indirectly related to the horrors and abuse of people somewhere on the other side of the world. Stupid hypocrites are ruining my day.

Edit: Quoted you other stupid comment by mistake.

You do realize that the yellow journalists that pushed for the criminalization of pot in the 1930s called it by it's Spanish name "marijuana" to associate the plant with xenophobic anti-Mexican sentiments held by the public, right?

I don't see why the ethics and morality are still being argued. It is illegal. It could end your career (as could having any other addiction problem). Is pot bad? Some would say no; others would say yes. Regardless, if you are caught, you risk a future career.

Is speeding illegal? Yes, but a ticket won't lead to a loss of career (unless we go extreme).

All the fingerpointing aside (You drink, you eat McDonald's, you don't get 45 mins of cardio a day) those choices aren't illegal. Do they make you a bad example? Possibly. But again, they won't end your career.

I don't see why the ethics and morality are still being argued. It is illegal. It could end your career (as could having any other addiction problem). Is pot bad? Some would say no; others would say yes. Regardless, if you are caught, you risk a future career.

Is speeding illegal? Yes, but a ticket won't lead to a loss of career (unless we go extreme).

All the fingerpointing aside (You drink, you eat McDonald's, you don't get 45 mins of cardio a day) those choices aren't illegal. Do they make you a bad example? Possibly. But again, they won't end your career.

OK, we get it. You live your life ultra-conservatively and would not risk it. That is fantastic. You have made your choice. Do not go judging other people for opening up their minds and not avoiding something just because of what a bunch of corrupt bureaucrats say.

Disclaimer: Does not smoke weed. Hates the fact that society is losing the desire to think for themselves.

It seems a little bit foolish to risk your career, regardless of what the corrupt bureaucrats say. I don't have a problem with anyone smoking weed. Would I do it? No. Do I have a desire? No. If you want to smoke, that's your choice. However, it seems careless to risk something that took years of investment not mention hundred of thousands of dollars.

I don't think anyone's arguing against your point. I do think that people who smoke marijuana seek validation for using a drug that they believe has been criminalized unnecessarily, which might explain the emphasis on morality vs. legality.

Me? Don't give a ****.

This is all true, however you have to understand that for many people, MJ legalization is "their issue" and they're willing to take those risks. Me, not so much, but for many this is a cause they genuinely believe in and believe is a ridiculous injustice (a sentiment I do share, however). In addition to more traditional advocacy/awareness type activities, you might think of this as their form of civil disobedience.

Just like you might be willing to risk your career for X cause, these people are doing just that (or at least that's how they might perceive it).

It seems a little bit foolish to risk your career, regardless of what the corrupt bureaucrats say. I don't have a problem with anyone smoking weed. Would I do it? No. Do I have a desire? No. If you want to smoke, that's your choice. However, it seems careless to risk something that took years of investment not mention hundred of thousands of dollars.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I think this post is saying the exact same thing your last post said, which myself and several posters above have already conceded to as being completely accurate.

i too wish sirenomelia would just go back to his first post in this thread and read through everything he has written and see how he's going in circles and making no sense at all.

+1

Have you been watching too much Weeds?

:rofl:

The comments from some of you are pretty funny. Obviously marijuana is the devil's drug and the only people who smoke weed work at Taco Bell and Burger King. Seriously? There have been many, many successful people who have been known to occasionally smoke weed. We all know alcohol and cigarettes are worse for you, and we all know why those things are legal and pot isn't.

Well we do, apparently you don't. It's not the 1950's anymore guys, things have changed.

Attendings. :rolleyes:

That being said, while I have nothing against pot, I don't smoke it myself. Mainly, I don't care for the effects, and I also don't care to have it decrease my chances of succeeding in a medical profession (due to it's illegal nature). However if I ever develop cancer and it helps with pain or nausea I'm all about it.

If you're scared about passing drugs tests and such, I would not risk it.

I lol'zd.

So when I casually glanced at this thread, it had a page... Spent past 15 min going through the 7 new ones. LOL. Just let people do what they want as long as it doesnt harm others, and be responsible for yourself.

It was funny how he referred to those who make/keep these policies as the "bad guys" (that was not who first came to mind) :laugh:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/us/daniel-chong-left-for-days-in-holding-cell.html

LOS ANGELES — By his own admission, Daniel Chong planned to spend April 20 like so many other college students: smoking marijuana with friends to celebrate an unofficial holiday devoted to the drug.

But for Mr. Chong, the celebration ended in a Kafkaesque nightmare inside a San Diego Drug Enforcement Administration holding cell, where he said he was forgotten for four days, without food or water.

To survive, Mr. Chong said he drank his own urine, hallucinated and, at one point, considered how to take his own life. By the time agents found him on the fifth day and called paramedics, he said he thought he could be dead within five minutes.

“By that time, I’d accepted that I would probably die there,” Mr. Chong, a 23-year-old student at the University of California, San Diego, said Wednesday, three days after his release from the hospital.

A spokeswoman for the D.E.A. said the case was under investigation, but confirmed that Mr. Chong had been “accidentally left in one of the cells” from April 21 until April 25, and that he had not been charged with a crime.